matchbox twenty or Collective Soul?

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
Does anybody here like these definitive late 90s bands... matchbox twenty and Collective Soul? Both fused the 90s alt-rock sound with more commercial tendencies to produce stunning results. I hated both of these bands back then... but have just recently begun to appreciate their material. Both bands have fantastic vocalists. I'm also really digging the solo work of Rob Thomas.... especially "Little Wonders".

My favorite Collective Soul album is the polished pop sheen of "Dosage". The new hit single "Hollywood" is fresh and bouncy.

collective soul are better than matchbox 20. btw collective sould were really a mid 90's band not a late 90's

Does anybody here like these definitive late 90s bands... matchbox twenty and Collective Soul? Both fused the 90s alt-rock sound with more commercial tendencies to produce stunning results. I hated both of these bands back then... but have just recently begun to appreciate their material. Both bands have fantastic vocalists. I'm also really digging the solo work of Rob Thomas.... especially "Little Wonders".

My favorite Collective Soul album is the polished pop sheen of "Dosage". The new hit single "Hollywood" is fresh and bouncy.

I liked them a lot in my early teens. I did not like Dosage except for "Run", but liked all their earlier stuff. Disciplined Breakdown is pretty unique for a rock album, very melancholic and I thought S/T was great.

But Matchbox 20 is pretty bad.

Good God Almighty, Matchbox Twenty. Absolute PIG shit. No one, and I mean no one will ever bring a Matchbox Twenty disc into my home. Fuckin' horrid.

its one of those forced to choose questions. I dont think matchbox 20 ever put out a good song. Collective Soul on the other hand has some classics...precious declaration anyone?

I like both bands but dont know much material other than whats gotten radio play. Rob Thomas is a great vocalist, Carlos never would have picked him for a song if he was'nt. Unwell has a personal connection to my current life since it came out.

Pop music has its place, sometimes I just need to lighten up and listen to some easy flowing music.

Matchbox and Collective are absolutely horrible bands.
There are many other 90's alternative bands that blow them out of the water.
Sponge, Alice in Chains, Third Eye Blind, Sublime etc etc etc

I don't see why all of you hate matchbox twenty so much. Sure... they might not sing about bloody swords over mind-numbing blast beats.. but they write great songs. A lot of people can relate to songs like "Bent" and "Unwell".

I've listened to Matchbox 20 only once, it happened recently and I haven't liked their music at all. About Collective Soul, I discovered them when "Youth" hit the stores, and I really like it (as well as the new one, which is about to be out soon... maybe it already is).

I like both bands but dont know much material other than whats gotten radio play. Rob Thomas is a great vocalist, Carlos never would have picked him for a song if he was'nt. Unwell has a personal connection to my current life since it came out.

Pop music has its place, sometimes I just need to lighten up and listen to some easy flowing music.
Carlos Santana picked Rob Thomas, Everlast, Dave Mathews,Lauryn Hill and the like because Carlos wanted to record that overrated "Super Natural" and to achieve "mainstream" popularity. Santana hadn't recorded a top selling album in years, so he recruited the above-mentioned. "Super Natural" does contain some excellent guitar work, but if fails a just about every other musical issue. Of course, just my opinion. You want some excellent Santana get; "Caravanserai" or his best live document "Lotus" both from around 1973-74.

Carlos Santana picked Rob Thomas, Everlast, Dave Mathews,Lauryn Hill and the like because Carlos wanted to record that overrated "Super Natural" and to achieve "mainstream" popularity. Santana hadn't recorded a top selling album in years, so he recruited the above-mentioned. "Super Natural" does contain some excellent guitar work, but if fails a just about every other musical issue. Of course, just my opinion. You want some excellent Santana get; "Caravanserai" or his best live document "Lotus" both from around 1973-74.

Cant agree, Carlos bounced around the spectrum most of his career. I felt Smooth was a great song as well as the one with the girl whos name I dont know. Maybe was over played but it was that good and thats what happens to great songs. I appreaciate a band or musician that writes good commercial music too, doesnt hurt my feelings one bit when they add some spice to my FM car ride to work and back. Given many of the alternatives I approve of both Matchbox Twenty and Collective Soul and I also appreacated the fact that my daughter and wife liked them more than some of the alternatives as well. Three Doors Down would be another I'm glad to hear as opposed to the Back Street Boys or Britney. I am not a non commercial or die kind of guy, though my CD and tape collection is loaded with music most domestics find abrasive. Good groove, good lyrics or story with earnest message suits me fine. If I had to pick a song list today for a gig band like I was in during the late 80's early 90's these bands and others like them would have songs on the list and I would learn them and enjoy playing them as the ladies bounced around the dance floor. BUT, my music I work on myself is totally off the hook and wouldnt stand a chance in hell of getting air play... even if it was any good... lol

Razor, I appreciate your thoughts on this. I'm a firm believer that Santana's earlier work is head and shoulders above what he's done lately. Primarily, what he did in the 1970's. "Super Natural" as I said, has some excellent guitar work, but, the majority of this is below average songwriting(for Santana) with mainstream artists to glean a wider fan base. I have a problem when artists sacrifice their integrity for some extra dollars. Just my opinion. And I've seen Santana live 5 times. His concerts have always been excellent.

And continuing on this Santana thing, In November or December, Santana will be releasing the album called "Ultimate Santana" this contains a previously unreleased duet with Chad Kroeger from Nickelback. And other duets with "mainstream" artists. Are you fucking kidding me? Chad fuckin' Kroeger? Nickelback? To me, this is evidence that Santana's creativity has dried up, and the Ultimate Santana is a complete fucking cash-grab. Don't spend your hard-earned money on this drek. Open your fuckin' eyes and see what's goin' on here.

So what about these two songs from sometime in the 80's I think.

All I ever Wanted
Open Invitation

more "sellout" ?

I happen to think their kick ass songs, especially All I Ever Wanted.

What about "Black Magic Woman" from the early 70's ? More sellout ? I could take it or leave it with that song

Nickleback ? Animal is a kick ass song

Collective Soul ? Untitled is a kick ass song

"What we have here, is a failure to communicate." Haha!! Look man, it's obvious we have different opinions on Santana, and I can appreciate yours. But, can you understand mine? This guy has been one of my favorite musicians/guitarists for yrs. And in looking at this "holistically" (that word again) Santana has slipped in creativity and songwriting. I never once used the word "sellout" in my post. You like his 80's output, I think it's mediocre at best. Their is NOT ONE redeeming quality to Nickelback and their music. Collective Soul, certainly am not inspired to purchase any of their music. So, I hope ypu find much enjoyment with said music. For me, there's just too much out there that blows this away.

I dont know, I bought a Santana tape in some discount rack about 5 years ago and suffered through one listen and threw it away, it was that bad, disconnected, disjointed, I have no idea what it was. It was fucked up. Way, way back when Santana (III) was new I had it and thought it was Ok, I was primarly listening to other stuff at that time so this was an alternative for me. Europa is and has been one of my favorite pieces of guitar work since I heard it in '76 but I dont recall being taken by anything else off from Amigos. I went to see Santana in late 70's sometime and it was one of the best shows I had been too in that time period. Primarily due to the sound quality that loud distorted hardrock bands could not achieve due to acoustics. To my understanding the band Santana has always been a rotating line up with songs written by various band member or the various lineups as a whole. So that said I dont see anything out of the norm over his career, he has dallyed in everything. So I take it you are saying he hasnt done jack since he was young ???

Finally you have no idea the diversity of my musical libary and what I do and do not spend money on. I live in a house. In my house lives a few other people. I do not tell them what they can and can not listen to.....

"to achieve mainstream popularity","sacrifice their integrity for some extra dollars", "complete fucking cash-grab" ....... you are right, you never used the word "sellout", it was just easier to spell the definition than exact quotes. I have never jumped on the "your all sellouts" bandwagon. For example, as was seen with Queensryches Empire or Metallicas "Black Album" or Megadeths "Countdown", all amounst my favorite heavy metal albums but their diehard fans cried like babies and their concerts "sold out"... go figure... I call it musical integrity

And continuing on this Santana thing, In November or December, Santana will be releasing the album called "Ultimate Santana" this contains a previously unreleased duet with Chad Kroeger from Nickelback. And other duets with "mainstream" artists. Are you fucking kidding me? Chad fuckin' Kroeger? Nickelback? To me, this is evidence that Santana's creativity has dried up, and the Ultimate Santana is a complete fucking cash-grab. Don't spend your hard-earned money on this drek. Open your fuckin' eyes and see what's goin' on here.

he was/is friends with dimebag and the rest of the abbott family

Razor,dam man, relax, you act as if I'm taking a personal shot at you. I don't care about your musical library, the discussion is/was about Santana's recent mediocre output. And believe it or not, I've never TOLD someone what they should listen to. Differing opinions on these forums keep them alive!! With this "Ultimate" disc, my opinion is Santana's cash-grabbing because he's run out of ideas. Period. Could I be wrong, of course. But, isn't there a possibility I could be right!!