Matt LaPorte tribute show!

dtfanatic

Jul 22, 2004
Sorry if I missed a thread on this before, but I just heard about it.

I imagine Jon will be there, along with our own Kong, and the rest of the band. I'll definitely be there!

From jonoliva.net:

Celebrating the Life & Music of Matt LaPorte...
Sunday, May 29 2011

A memorial concert in memory of Matt LaPorte will be held on Saturday, July 23rd 2011 at Ferg's.

Ferg's is located at 1320 Central Ave in St. Petersburg, FL. The doors will open at 7:00pm. The cost will be a $10 minimum donation, with the proceeds going to the Matt LaPorte Scholarship Fund.

mattposter_sm.jpg

This was the line up from the last time:

* Jon Oliva (SAVATAGE, TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA, JON OLIVA'S PAIN)
* Zak Stevens (SAVATAGE, CIRCLE II CIRCLE, TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA)
* Matt LaPorte (JON OLIVA'S PAIN, CRIMSON GLORY, CIRCLE II CIRCLE) R.I.P.
* Ben Jackson (CRIMSON GLORY)
* John Zahner (SAVATAGE, JON OLIVA'S PAIN, CRIMSON GLORY)
* Wade Black (CRIMSON GLORY, LEATHERWOLF, DEUXMONKEY)
* Todd LaTorre (CRIMSON GLORY)
* John Osborne (DOCTOR BUTCHER, CIRCLE II CIRCLE)
* Tom McDyne (JON OLIVA'S PAIN, CIRCLE II CIRCLE)
* Kevin Rothney (JON OLIVA'S PAIN)
* Jerry Outlaw (JON OLIVA'S PAIN, GENITORTURERS, BOGUS POMP)

It was a nice show, with a bunch of varied stuff, that lasted about 3 hours. It was an outdoor show, and it started raining a little a couple times, but both times it stopped before it got too heavy. First they played some older classic rock and bluesy stuff that had originally inspired Matt Laporte, then they played some of his solo instrumental stuff, including 1 or 2 songs that were never released. Then Crimson Glory (minus bassist and drummer) came up and did 3 acoustic songs. Then Jon Oliva's Pain did some older Savatage songs which Matt used to enjoy playing live. Then the show closed out with a couple more instrumental jams. Overall, it had more of the loose vibe of a bunch of friends getting together to jam, than an actual balls-to-the-wall metal concert. I think it was a fitting tribute.

Crimson Glory (acoustic):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEIiNFQxZ6M&feature=related[/ame]

Oliva's Pain:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeOJ4bXTMd8&feature=related[/ame]

I still get chills listening to Jon sing that after all these years....

RIP Matt.

Yes it was quite cool. We are blessed to have Jon and so many others that live in the area. I never get tired of hearing Jon sing either.