Mayhem Fest

I agree. The last Sonata tour and even the one before that were packed in Chicago but other shows that these same people should be at were not so well attended. Even talking to people at shows is scary. It is almost if they wont touch any band that hasnt started before 2005 or have ties to a current band.

Exactly!! Kamelot is another band that grew immensely here in the states, but most kids who attend their show don't even know about The Fourth Legacy, or even Karma... :lol: Always packed in NYC though.

Meanwhile bands like Grave Digger and Angra are lucky if they get 300 people to attend their shows here...

Probably the best thing i've ever heard regarding Kamelot:

"You know what would be an awesome accomplishment? Listening to kamelot's ghost opera all the way through. It's really hard. I would feel like i achieved something if i did that."

I wish i could take credit for that quote, but i can't. Still, so true.

And FTR, Karma is one of my top 10 favorite metal records ever. Good christ how they went downhill.

Probably the best thing i've ever heard regarding Kamelot:

"You know what would be an awesome accomplishment? Listening to kamelot's ghost opera all the way through. It's really hard. I would feel like i achieved something if i did that."

I wish i could take credit for that quote, but i can't. Still, so true.

And FTR, Karma is one of my top 10 favorite metal records ever. Good christ how they went downhill.

LOL the funny thing is, I still think their best record was The Black Halo, despite being a recent one that the "new metal teenage kids" like as well. :lol: what an irony...

Black Tide slayed

Machine Head was MACHINE FUCKING HEAD

Mastodon wasnt great sounding

Dragonforce was great, but the set was the same minus "Fury of the Storm" and the adition of the new single

Disturbed need to think up a new entrance other then Drainman in a cage or in a striaght jacket

Slipknot, I left two songs in due to overall exhaustion

There will always be underground bands that are ignored by the mainstream as certain select bands get popular.

Would you really want Blind Guardian to receive the attention DragonForce does? I think if they did, you would take issue with their output and realize they haven't stretched their creative muscle neither.

Look at the 80s......
How many bay area bands went unnoticed as Metallica grew more and more in popularity? There is always that one trail blazing band in the underground whose buzz is big enough to catch the attention of the mainstream.

Of course in Metallica's case, they have done enough to truly deserve any backlash they receive from the underground, though I think you get my point.

Anyhow, I think what bugs me the most with this isn't really anyone's issue with DragonForce, moreso with the fact that Disturbed and SlipKnot might be my 2 least fav bands on the planet.

^ I gotta just simply agree with that. Except Jasonic's wrong Metallica hate :lol:

Just dont get why DF gets hated when you could just say 'it's boring' not all these extra bullshit they get

Of course in Metallica's case, they have done enough to truly deserve any backlash they receive from the underground, though I think you get my point.

I dont disagree with anything Lars has done, he has every right against the whole downloading thing, just because a band changes their sound doesn't make them sell outs, I dont want to argue this but that's how I feel etc etc youre gay

I really wonder if many people who slam Slipknot have even followed their evolution... I find their music very interesting and cerebral. They execute it so well live too. Definitely not a joke...

And I'm neither white trash or any where near 13 years old...

I'm just sayin'...:lol:

I can see not liking the type of music or whatever but they do what they do very well.

lars being a gigantic faggot?

I remember watching some Metallica documentary on either MTV or Vh1 a few years back where they all lived in the same house to work on a new album. They hired some fuckbag psychologist to basically live with them, and they surrounded themselves with record label yes-men who told them every note they wrote was gold. Man they took themselves sooooo damn seriously, and the rest was just like watching a couple 12 yr old girls arguing about boys at a slumber party. What a bunch of douchebags.

Anyone else remember seeing this thing?

Ummmm....that was a feature film entitled SOME KIND OF MONSTER , a little more to it than just some VH1 documentary.

Though I agree with you.
That flick fully detailed why St Anger sounds exactly like what it is (A few riffs played repetitively with no emotion stretched out to 6 minutes to complete a song).

I felt so bad for Kirk in watching that.
You have a talented metal guitarist who wants to solo and write solid melodies, and then on the flipside you have James who just wants to scream into the mic about how dark his life is.

Here's my problem with Dragonforce...

I always admitted that I used to love the band when they started...They were new, brought an interesting fresh thing to the power metal scene and it was great!! However, as they years went by (and my metal taste got a little broader), I was expecting their sound to change and evolve...which completely didn't happen. Their music became boring to me....repetitive and it started to bore me and piss me off...how could a band that was so good become this crappy?

And then the popularity factor came in later....It really aggravated me to see kids who were 13, 14 years old praising Dragonforce for being "The most original and different band ever", yet not even knowing who Iron Maiden was. All the power to Dragonforce cause they made their living by doing what they do, but it was a little unfair imo. I mean, look at Blind Guardian, Angra, Gamma Ray and Helloween, the bands who truly defined this genre and the scene... do they get any recognition nowadays? Not nearly as much as they deserve...

Disturbed and Dragonforce ended up doing the opposite as Dragonforce...They started with the huge popularity and then they eventually tried to make their sound different...better! And they succeeded in my opinion. If you hear the first 2 Slipknot albums, you'll notice it's totally different than the latest one, which is excellent...

I guess it is just a matter of taste, absolutely... People change and their taste changes as well... I used to like bands that nowadays I think are pure pieces of shit, and I don't think that's wrong...

It's funny, considering that both Slipknot and Mushroomhead are Mr. Bungle clones. How about actually expanding your music taste and not allowing yourself to get spoonfed by whatever's cool and hot these days. Dragonforce isn't anything original, but certainly neither are Slipknot and Disturbed (run of the mill rocker mommy metal; although I do however like their singer's vocals from time to time).

And in Europe, Dragonforce isn't nearly as big as they are in the US. Blind Guardian plays to thousands of people per night in Europe (up to 20,000 people per night in Germany alone).

And in Europe, Dragonforce isn't nearly as big as they are in the US. Blind Guardian plays to thousands of people per night in Europe (up to 20,000 people per night in Germany alone).

I know that, I'm used to it. I am originally from Brazil, and I've witnessed countless times bands like Blind Guardian, Stratovarius, Angra, Gamma Ray, Helloween, Kamelot and others play for thousands and thousands of people. There ain't nothing like it!! \m/

I remember watching some Metallica documentary on either MTV or Vh1 a few years back where they all lived in the same house to work on a new album. They hired some fuckbag psychologist to basically live with them, and they surrounded themselves with record label yes-men who told them every note they wrote was gold. Man they took themselves sooooo damn seriously, and the rest was just like watching a couple 12 yr old girls arguing about boys at a slumber party. What a bunch of douchebags.

Anyone else remember seeing this thing?

Ummmm....that was a feature film entitled SOME KIND OF MONSTER , a little more to it than just some VH1 documentary.

Though I agree with you.
That flick fully detailed why St Anger sounds exactly like what it is (A few riffs played repetitively with no emotion stretched out to 6 minutes to complete a song).

I felt so bad for Kirk in watching that.
You have a talented metal guitarist who wants to solo and write solid melodies, and then on the flipside you have James who just wants to scream into the mic about how dark his life is.

The documentary was a great documentary (no joke). It was filmed and edited together very well. The content is so funny without it trying to be. The best scene in the entire movie had to be Lars's dad hears some stuff and just trashes it.

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=P9RGSStvsag[/ame]

seriously, watch that.

That's cool AngraRULES that you have gotten to experience Euro bands in that setting.
I would love to experience that someday.

The US is so fickle in terms of concert attendance.

I have seen the legendary TROUBLE perform for as little as 50 people.
Manowar for a little over 100.
Candlemass' recent tour didn't draw more than 200 or so in each city.