Mekong Delta - Lurking Fear

IOfTheStorm

Gogol Bordello
Mar 28, 2002
Athens-Greece
www.monolith.gr
cover.jpg

Fucking phenomenal, a continuus riff slaughter. Like a day never passed, not from "Pictures At An Exhibition" or "Visions Fugitives" but from "Dances Of Death". Seriously, the style of the new one is closer to "Dances..." than any other M.D. work, just slightly more melodic and with a better singer, the best singer M.D. ever had, to be exact. It's unbelievable how inspired mr Hubert is...or maybe he spent ALL these years writting riffs and guitar melodies, i can't explain this six string heaven in any other way.

So um...how do the post-Music Of Erich Zann albums sound? I've only heard those two, I've been scared off by the claims of "progressive," which for my taste usually winds up being negative.

Edit: Whoa, holy shit, I just noticed they got the vocalist from Wolf Spider...crazy.

Dances of Death is my personal favorite. Combined some ripping thrash while throwing in some nice more "progressive" moments every once in a while.

Plus a thrash rendition of Night on the Bare Mountain. How can you go wrong with that?

Well... post Zann M.D. are still thrash, with more variations on the speed department, more technical, weird, neurotic, lunatic...and yes...more progressive. For example in "Visions Fugitives" what captivates you the most is the claustrophobic (yes i reached the vocabulary to see how the greek word is translated) atmosphere that also gives you a feeling that someone is following or chasing you. This feeling is found in all of their albums, more or less, it's just that after "The Music Of Erich Zann" it became more intense. Let's just say that the music messed more with your mind after this album, and not only with the back of your neck.

IotS, would you mind posting a few tracks from the later albums? Not necessarily the thrashiest, but preferably the most representative?