melodyne = shite

Yeah.. Melodyne doesn't sound as good but the workflow is just so much better. Snap-to-nearest note, then adjust the ones that didn't work out. Then you can flatten vibrato, or enhance it or whatever. If I want the 'autotune effect' of snapping to notes, just insert GSnap after it.

The autotune effect (t-pain etc) is done by selecting all notes, doubleclicking any note with the pitch modulation tool (which flattens it).

What I hate about Melodyne is the robotic synthesized eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee when you move a note.

i agree that melodyne is more intuitive but I'm fully into auto tune now. melodyne just plain sounds bad. But in terms of gruff vocals I don't think auto-tune does it much better than melodyne... sometimes you gotta try both.

Yeah Melodyne doesn't like gruff....

I always follow a personal mantra of "tune before time". None of the tuning programs I've used in PT retain exact sample accurate time. So I always tune vocals before I spend time making sure they are locked in timing wise.

I use Evo and Melodyne, every day. GENERALLY I use autotune for the majority of my tuning, but I still use melodyne for large BG vox stacks because I find that adding all the tuned tracks together sounds more natural.

The only advice I can give about the rough stuff is use autotune, and do SMALL SECTIONs. I generally have better luck doing a few words at a time. Another thing that's kind of wierd is that autotune sometimes if you lower the volume of the piece of audio going into it, it'll work better....

Autotune not only confuses the FUCK out of me, but it seems to have a different purpose.. always snapping to the nearest note, which to me is not always desirable.. and very obvious audibly to me. Melodyne has a few issues but is much more versatile imo.

this is why you should use graphical mode - you can choose what you want to tune and how much you tune it by. i wouldnt recommend using auto mode on most things.

this is why you should use graphical mode - you can choose what you want to tune and how much you tune it by. i wouldnt recommend using auto mode on most things.

But graphical mode in Auto Tune is weird, does it let you maintain natural vibrato? Everything I've seen looks like you are just drawing STRAIGHT lines whenever you are correcting anything, which is of course going to be T-Pain central... Obviously AutoTune can do natural sounding pitch correction but I really don't understand the graphical interface with all this straight line drawing nonsense...

when you draw a straight line it doesn't necessarily do a straight line correction. It depends on what you have the retune speed set at. next time you're here i'll show you and it will all make sense... i hated it at first too

cubase 5 variaudio for all tuning i do. including lead vocals, guitars, bass, violins, cellos, flutes..
unfortunately its limited in its range, bass does only work down to a string i think...
still variaudio is the most transparent sounding to me.
its also very cool to show a singer a backing vocal line, i just pitch the original to where i think it fits the song,
and he can listen to the new melody. its way easier, as most singers cant read music notation...