Metal Memories

David N.

New Metal Member
Jun 7, 2003
Visit site
I'm curious to know about you guys' and girls' introduction into the world of METAL. What was the year, how old were you at the time, and which band were you listening to? For me the year was 1981, I was the ripe old age of 11 at the time, and I was listening to "Screaming For Vengeance" by Judas Priest. From that moment on I was hooked. OK, who else wants to share their thoughts with the rest of the class?

I listened to Quiet Riot, Twisted Sister, etc, in the 80s. But it was pop music to me, no different than Weird Al and Michael Jackson for me.

Into the 90s, I got into Metallica and Megadeth when they hit really big, but still, yay, a tape to listen to as I do something else.

Then... I saw... on MTV... the video for Napalm Death's The World Keeps Turning...

... and that ruined me forever. :)

I was a real Metallica fan and Master of Puppets changed my life for ever. I was probably 15 ( Im 27 now ). After the dissapearance of that band, one of my best friends introduced me to Keeper of the Seven Keys I and 2. That opened a new world of possibilities....and the rest is history.

I got into metal during the late 80s. Metallica was the firts metal band I listened to. The I started listening to Megadeth and Slayer. During the 90s a friend of mine introduced me to Helloween, from then on its been mostly power metal for me.

A friend of mine in 7th grade (i was 11) played me Leper Messiah from Metallica's MoP...I didnt know the album title or anything...but I made my mom find/buy me that album...then the next day I got Megadeth Peace Sells, Anthrax Among the living, and britney fox (i know, I was 11!!)...shortly there after And Justice came out and floored me...then I watched Headbangers ball religiously...I got into Testament, Forbidden..basically some west coast thrash...from there it turned into as many metal albums I could get...fates, Wargasm, Flotsam, Psychosis...
Havent thought of those memories in a long time...brings ya back...

I was 4, and pissed that my mother wouldn't take me to see KISS. She relented when I was 5, and bought 2 tickets for me and a lucky babysitter. I dressed up as Gene Simmons every Halloween after that until KISS took off the makeup. I'm 31 now, and will be seeing KISS in Las Vegas on my 32nd birthday.

I started in on rock around 1986, which would've made me 10ish, and graduated to music more metal by 89 or so. I was already the goofy outcast at school - the change to metal didn't help my popularity any. heh. (heck, even the headbangers didn't think much of me because I was in higher level classes than they were and I didn't smoke, so I was mostly out of their social circle.)

1976... KISS Alive II graced my record player after me begging for it from my parents..

from there to Alice Cooper...

From there to Joan Jett, Blondie and Queen (and then to all the 80s new wave/pop/rock/rap all 80s music I lump into one category for this cos it was all corny and cool..

In there I found Twisted Sister, Ratt, Motley Crue, Krokus, Y&T and Yngwie & Helix...

My intro to the ' heavier side was Anthrax's Spreading the Disease which then turned me on to Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Metal Church, Death Angel, etc..

College (early 90s) I still listened to rock (Bang Tango, etc...) but got into Pantera, Danzig and Suicidal Tendencies moreso, especially 2 bands called WWIII and Lord Tracy.

Through grunge I stuck to my guns, whatever heavy bands didnt get dropped in favor of flanal.

Now it's mostly power metal largely in part thanks to Helloween's the Dark ride for getting me back into it. That Euro-thrash sound (In Flames, Haunted, Witchery) I can't get enough of too.

Believe it or not, rock is starting to make a knock at the door again for me with an amazing album from Beautiful Creatures and bands like Halfcocked and New American Shame. Hey, I'm a rocker at heart.

And through EVERY BIT OF IT.. ALICE COOPER has NEVER disappointed me in a show or on an album. But don't get me started on Kiss.

The first two albums I ever bought at about age 10 or so were from Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin. Now I know I'm ancient and all, but the reason I knew music like this existed is that back in the dim past, radio stations (especially FM) would actually play music that was submitted to a focus group first. I know this seems odd in the day where Clear Channel would put devices in our heads that would make sure we listened to them 24/7 if they could, but radio used to actually be interesting. It's where I learned about metal, prog, jazz and all sorts of other cool music.

dt

no kidding... back when there weren't computer programmed radio shows.. the DJ had more freedom to play what she/he wanted to providing they played certain songs within the hours.

When I was working at the local rock station for a couple years I learned a lot, got my FCC license and everything. It was funny to find out that their "all request morning show" was all laid out in front of them when they went on air. Very sad.

anyone starting an on-line radio station that needs another metal DJ?

I was into Alice Cooper at 4 because of my dad...along with Sabbath. As a teenager, I went through the Quiet Riot stage then progressed into the hair bands eventually digging Megadeth, Slayer, Sanctuary, Testament, etc. Just grew from there...got into death metal, power metal, etc....

Well, everyone already knows that Dragonfu named me the official mother of the forum.....so I'm showing my age here.
I have to thank a teenaged babysitter I had back then for turning me on to Rock Music. Although it wasn't considered Metal back then, my first experience was the Rolling Stones when "Get Off My Cloud" was released in the 60's. My grandmother bought me the album for my birthday and when I saw Brian Jones on the cover, it was puppy-love at first sight!
I was the youngest kid in my neighborhood to be into Rock Groups such as Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, The Doors, Humble Pie, Allman Brothers, Black Sabbath, Rainbow, Mott the Hoople, Uriah Heep, etc. etc.
Brings back alot of good memories writing about it.....
Cindy

1975 Kiss Alive!!! That was the start--the 80's was n.w.o.b.h.m. and 80's hard rock/metal--1991-to current, brought Helloween for me (a little late, but oh well)-- and my intro. to the rest of my prog and power loves!!! 28 years of Hard Rock & Heavy Metal and still going strong!!!!!!

As a side tangent, I vividly recall being 16 years old, wearing a patched denim jack, and a smug 18 year old guy telling me "Two years, and you'll be done with all of *that*", meaning metal music.

That was 1986, and I'm still going strong.

Steve

DarkOne, I am with you...a few years ago i saw an old friend from high school and she said "you are still into that, i thought you would grow out of it"
LOL