Michele Luppi's solo album

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Has anybody listened to Luppi's album "Strive"?

More I listen to Vision Divine the more I like, and one of the major parts is Luppi's voice (listen to "Here in 6048" off the new album for great evidence). He is everybit as good as Fabio was, if not better in some ways. The guy has very full and strong vocals. Anyhow, just wondering if anybody has heard his solo album, and what they think.

p.s. I think that those unfamiliar with Vision Divine... might just get blown away by their music. And for those that haven't listened to much of them go to their web site www.visiondivine.com and click on Vision player. Can listen to most of their music.

I much prefer him to Fabio. I was never a huge fan of his (although Rhapsody was surprisingly incredible live!). Luppi's solo album is reallly good!

I can't wait to see their performance at PP. Easily the band I'm looking forward to most!

Lione is obviously a talented vocalist, but I think Luppi is actually a better fit for Vision Divine. I don't know that I'd describe his voice as "full" and "strong", but perhaps I'm just defining the words differently. Still, much as I like his work in Vision Divine, the main reason I listen to the band (or any band) is because I like the songwriting. I wouldn't listen to something just because I like the vocalist. In the case of Vision Divine, they have great songs with incredible melodies... I don't know if Luppi's non-metal solo album is going to be up my alley.

I think "Strive" is way too watered-down AOR. IMO, it's not even in the same league as Soto or Kiske AOR stuff. I love ML's work with VD, but I think he fell well short of his potential with the "Strive" disc. 3/10

Sumeet said:
Lione is obviously a talented vocalist, but I think Luppi is actually a better fit for Vision Divine.

That's exactly what Olaf Thorsen (Vision Divine guitarist) told me yesterday in my interview with him. I asked him about the change from Fabio to Michele and he said both are great singers, but that Michele is a better fit for VD. I agree.

Sumeet said:
I don't know that I'd describe his voice as "full" and "strong", but perhaps I'm just defining the words differently.

Dude, Michele's voice is amazing. His range is incredible. Listen to the tail end of "La Vita Fugge" from Stream of Consciousness. He hits and holds a note that most vocalists can only dream of hitting. I think Michele is a gifted vocalist, easily one of the best in the power metal genre.

Sumeet said:
Still, much as I like his work in Vision Divine, the main reason I listen to the band (or any band) is because I like the songwriting. I wouldn't listen to something just because I like the vocalist. In the case of Vision Divine, they have great songs with incredible melodies... I don't know if Luppi's non-metal solo album is going to be up my alley.

To each his own. I usually don't care at all about the "songwriting," if by that you mean the lyrics. I'm a sucker for melody and a really, really good singer. That's why Steve Perry is my all-time favorite singer.

I'm a relative newcomer to Vision Divine (2-3 years of listening to their stuff), but I've been very impressed with the quality of their material. Killer guitar playing and dynamic vocals. I'm looking forward to seeing them at PPUSA VII.

Bill

I just got Michele's solo album, and I too think he's one of the greatest vocalists out there. The man sings his ass off.

His solo album, however, is not very good. There are 10 tracks, 8 of which are really cheesy ballads with gag-me lyrics. It's not all bad; there are some really great melodies and singing... it's just that it seemed entirely unnecessary to have as many guitarists as they did participate in the recording of this album... considering any amature could play the music on this album. Also, some songs are just terrible.

And this is coming from someone who believe Vision Divine's The Perfect Machine might be the greatest album of all time. It takes more than a good singer to make a good album... that's for sure!

The Michael

I don't think much of the solo album either, although the vocals are top notch. It's just that it's probably not a style his core fans probably want to hear.

If he was going to do AOR it should have been a more Pride of Lions style thing. BTW, the singer of Pride of Lions, Toby Hitchcock, sounds similar to Luppi. Might actually be a little better.

Michael TEOF said:
I just got Michele's solo album, and I too think he's one of the greatest vocalists out there. The man sings his ass off.

His solo album, however, is not very good. There are 10 tracks, 8 of which are really cheesy ballads with gag-me lyrics. It's not all bad; there are some really great melodies and singing... it's just that it seemed entirely unnecessary to have as many guitarists as they did participate in the recording of this album... considering any amature could play the music on this album. Also, some songs are just terrible.

And this is coming from someone who believe Vision Divine's The Perfect Machine might be the greatest album of all time. It takes more than a good singer to make a good album... that's for sure!

The Michael
Yeah, exactly.:headbang:

Luppi is one of my favorite current vocalist right along side Oliver Hartmann (ex-At Vance).

I wouldn't change Luppi's voice at all! He has a very distinct, signature voice that he needs to maintain. The dude can just flat out throw it down on vox! \nn/