Mike Howe returns to Metal Church

This is excellent news of course, but there was a quote in the press release from drummer Jeff Plate that read as being awfully dismissive of both David Wayne and Ronny Munroe.

Looking forward to this. Not getting my hopes too high, but the Howe-era was by my favorite of the band. :)

Same here, but was more than just Howe. Like I said I need some other musicians changed too.

Whatever comes I will listen carefully before any attempt to open my wallet.

I'd still quite like to see them live, even with the variations in line up. Hopefully they'll pass through the UK sometime soon!

Hmmmm...... very interesting. Mike Howe is one of my favorite singers of all time, but does he still have it and is the songwriting there ?

Bryant

Two big ifs, isn't it? Let's cross fingers.

Kirk Arrington playing drums for them is definitely out. He "retired" due to health issues related to diabetes. No offense at all to Plate, but Arrington was an absolute MONSTER of a drummer. MC without Arrington is a bit like Slayer without Lombardo. You simply can't replace him.
Jeff is actually an exceptional drummer in his own right mind you, but Kirk really put a lot of personality in his playing of the Howe and first Wayne era. As talented as Jeff is, "playing" the Arrington stuff will be no problem, but writing new material is different. He is his own man with his own style and even with Howe back, I don't know that the same distinct classic Metal Church "sound" that is quite drum oriented will happen. It is possible mind you, though. When Stephan Kaufmann left Accept, I felt like they were doomed, but Schwartzman absolutely filled the mold and was able to maintain the "Accept sound." All we can do is wait and see.....errr hear.
As far as the other musicians, Duke, Craig and John were not elite musicians by any stretch, BUT they certainly did have their own style. The Howe era Metal Church really resembled no one else. They blended their own unique style of American powermetal with copius thrash elements, that I really haven't heard much anywhere else other than some Armored Saint, some Angel Dust and Breed/Olsson era Tad Morose.

Bryant

They blended their own unique style of American powermetal with copius thrash elements, that I really haven't heard much anywhere else other than some Armored Saint, some Angel Dust and Breed/Olsson era Tad Morose.

Bryant

Paradox is more thrash than power but also deliver as well around the ballpark. Meliah Rage is also on the zone but less polished. And Onward or Control Dnied can be quoted too.

Killers (FR) most definitively can be there too, albeit a bit more on the speed side. And of course Horcas (ARG), but I guess non-English speaking bands can be a deterrent for you.

But yes, Metal Church (Howe era) was a breed of their own.

Paradox is more thrash than power but also deliver as well around the ballpark. Meliah Rage is also on the zone but less polished. And Onward or Control Dnied can be quoted too.

Killers (FR) most definitively can be there too, albeit a bit more on the speed side. And of course Horcas (ARG), but I guess non-English speaking bands can be a deterrent for you.

But yes, Metal Church (Howe era) was a breed of their own.

Indeed !! Never heard Killers though. Of course Powermad and Wrathchild America also infused powermetal and thrash, but were a little more on the thrash side, as well.

Bryant

P.S. I guess you have heard Mike do the Wayne era stuff ? He puts his own style into it, but CERTAINLY does it justice. Mike was awesome on the early Metal Church stuff.

Bryant

Last edited by a moderator:
Zetro is back in Exodus, and now this.
Awesome news indeed! I saw Exodus live with Zetro in May this year, and they ruled - I'm sure Mike Howe will rule with Metal Church again, too.
It was high time! :)