Mike Portnoy and John Sykes?!?

via www.melodicrock.com :

"John Sykes fans are going to have to wait even longer for any sign of new music as I can confirm today that the guitarist has pulled out of the much hyped John Sykes/Mike Portnoy project. There is no official reason or statement at this point, but it is understood that a new guitarist will step into the picture, the band also featuring a very well-known and popular big bassist."

Years ago friends would tell me when they got backstage after a show, Sykes was very shy and reclusive. Then we see him on TMS acting cocky as hell, which I was glad to see. I would imagine, as long as he's been in the biz, he's just looking for the exact right band situation to be in. I do know he left Thin Lizzy from being tired of going thru the same deal night after night for quite awhile. Sorry to hear he's outta the new project, but I'm sure he'll return in some form. A Blue Murder reunion would be great.

Commented Portnoy on Twitter, "Sad but true... I tried my best to make it work... Me and the bass player [Billy Sheehan] couldn't wait around any longer... [Billy and I] moving on and now working with another guitarist/singer."

This is such a shitty thing to do. This was Sykes' project to begin with and he recruited everyone else to be in the band and Portnoy + the management decided to throw Sykes under the bus? What a betrayal. I lost so much respect for Portnoy over this.

This is such a shitty thing to do. This was Sykes' project to begin with and he recruited everyone else to be in the band and Portnoy + the management decided to throw Sykes under the bus? What a betrayal. I lost so much respect for Portnoy over this.

Can't blame Portnoy and Sheehan for moving on. They were ready to go for some time and Sykes, like Axl Rose, isn't exactly known for putting out material in a timely matter. I wouldn't have waited either.

Can't blame Portnoy and Sheehan for moving on. They were ready to go for some time and Sykes, like Axl Rose, isn't exactly known for putting out material in a timely matter. I wouldn't have waited either.

It's Sykes' project, so yes I can blame them. In the case of Axl though, Guns & Roses is and always was Axl's band (regardless of how shitty they are nowadays). It was never Slash's or whatever. So yeah I don't get your comparison at all.

It's Sykes' project, so yes I can blame them. In the case of Axl though, Guns & Roses is and always was Axl's band (regardless of how shitty they are nowadays). It was never Slash's or whatever. So yeah I don't get your comparison at all.

Regardless of who's project it was or who started it, people have other things going in with their lives and can only wait so long. Can't fault anybody for actually wanting to work. Let's see how long it takes Sykes to put out some new music. I doubt it will be anytime soon.

Regardless of who's project it was or who started it, people have other things going in with their lives and can only wait so long. Can't fault anybody for actually wanting to work. Let's see how long it takes Sykes to put out some new music. I doubt it will be anytime soon.

Do you have an idea how many issues there can spring up on just a legal level alone if the band plans to take Sykes' songs without his permission? Even on an ethical level, it's one thing to quit the band and start a new project, but this makes it sound like they are hijacking Sykes' own project. With all due respect, but you don't know what you're saying dude. By your logic, Metallica is taking too long with their new album, so I'm going to write and release the next Metallica album for them and credit myself as the new member of Metallica while kicking the other guys in the band out.

Do you have an idea how many issues there can spring up on just a legal level alone if the band plans to take Sykes' songs without his permission? Even on an ethical level, it's one thing to quit the band and start a new project, but this makes it sound like they are hijacking Sykes' own project. With all due respect, but you don't know what you're saying dude. By your logic, Metallica is taking too long with their new album, so I'm going to write and release the next Metallica album for them and credit myself as the new member of Metallica while kicking the other guys in the band out.

I agree with you if Portnoy and Sheehan were to use the material that Sykes wrote without his permission. But it's presumptuous to assume that they would/are doing this. Where did you get that from? The article and news that I read makes no mention of Portnoy using Sykes material. The only thing that is certain is that Portnoy and Sheehan plan on working with another singer/guitarist. To assume anything other than they simply did not want to wait any longer to begin serious work, is just speculation. It could also be as simple as their schedules not working out too. I really do hope Sykes does something soon because I really enjoy all his work and it's been waaaay too long since he's released anything IMO.

I agree with you if Portnoy and Sheehan were to use the material that Sykes wrote without his permission. But it's presumptuous to assume that they would/are doing this. Where did you get that from? The article and news that I read makes no mention of Portnoy using Sykes material. The only thing that is certain is that Portnoy and Sheehan plan on working with another singer/guitarist. To assume anything other than they simply did not want to wait any longer to begin serious work, is just speculation. It could also be as simple as their schedules not working out too. I really do hope Sykes does something soon because I really enjoy all his work and it's been waaaay too long since he's released anything IMO.

The media is reporting on this as though Portnoy fired Sykes from the project, when all of the material was actually written by Sykes and this was his project. That's why.

Hmmm seems as though Richie Kotzen may be working with Portnoy & Sheehan now. Which would be awesome! Kotzen is a killer guitarist and has one of the most underrated voices in rock IMO. I still see no mention of using Sykes material other than the fact that songs were demoed. From Blabbermouth:

According to Melodic Rock, Mike Portnoy (DREAM THEATER, AVENGED SEVENFOLD, ADRENALINE MOB) and Billy Sheehan (MR. BIG) have tapped Richie Kotzen (MR. BIG, POISON) to be the guitarist/vocalist of their new project following the recent departure of John Sykes (WHITESNAKE, BLUE MURDER, THIN LIZZY).

Although Portnoy and Sykes demoed a dozen or so songs at a Los Angeles studio last year, their vastly different work ethics and conflicting schedules were solely to blame for the dissolution of their collaboration. Portnoy explained on Twitter, "Sad but true... I tried my best to make it work... Me and [Billy Sheehan] couldn't wait around any longer... [Billy] and I are moving on and have already begun work with another guitarist/vocalist, keeping the original 'power trio' concept."

It looks like the bassist in the project was Billy Sheehan. Unfortunately, it looks like Sykes and Portnoy weren't seeing eye to eye on where to take the project after the songs were written. Portnoy immediately started posting that Richie Kotzen is now involved, but Kotzen quickly stepped in to say that nothing has been confirmed.

I'm bummed to see that we'll never hear what Portnoy and Sykes were writing together, but the thought of a collaboration with Kotzen sounds pretty interesting. I personally think this project would be the best out of any of Portnoy's post-Dream Theater outings. Adrenaline Mob is a joke, and Flying Colours just didn't impress me due to the Gin Blossoms-inspired vocals. A power trio album sounds like fun.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

PORTNOY / SHEEHAN / KOTZEN To Issue Debut Album In May As THE WINERY DOGS

Drummer Mike Portnoy (ADRENALINE MOB, FLYING COLORS, ex-DREAM THEATER), bassist Billy Sheehan (MR. BIG, TALAS) and guitarist Richie Kotzen (ex-POISON, ex-Mr. Big) teamed up in the summer of 2012 for a new project which has now been officially dubbed THE WINERY DOGS. An official release for Japan via Victor Entertainment has been confirmed for May, with other territories due to be announced soon. They have officially launched a Facebook page for the band, which can be viewed here.

p17mbe14rke2i15hf1aj2146tfh4.jpg

thewinerydogs-logo.jpg