MIKE PORTNOY LEAVES DREAM THEATER!!!

I think this band is LONG overdue for some time off and a breather.

All I will say is I think Portnoy handled that with class.

He probably said even more than he had to, in explaining to the fans why he chose to leave.

If his heart is no longer in it, then why stick around?

He probably said even more than he had to, in explaining to the fans why he chose to leave.

I'll agree with 3 of 4 statements of yours. He handled it with more than class, he did it with brutal honesty. It goes to show the DT fanboys that yes, there is a way to get tired of Dream Theater.

That being said, their last album was awesome. I say they take no break and just keep the machine running. Hope they can find a suitable replacement soon and continue kicking ass!

Agreed. They are my third favorite band after Sabbath and Priest, but I have to say he handled this well and am not as disappointed in this as I initially was. While I understand that the other band members want to keep it going without him, I really think it would've been a better idea for everyone to take a longer breather and recharge their batteries. They have been going full-tilt for a VERY long time. With that being said though, I would be shocked if he were to not join the band again in the future. I give it about five years max. One thing is for sure though. They're going to have one hell of a time finding a suitable drummer to replace him.

DT's response....

DREAM THEATER: 'We Will Continue To Move Forward With Same Intensity' As Before - Sep. 8, 2010

Progressive metal giants DREAM THEATER have released the following statement regarding the departure of the band's drummer, Mike Portnoy:

"To all of our loyal fans and friends: It is with profound sadness — regret — we announce that Mike Portnoy, our lifelong drummer and friend, has decided to leave DREAM THEATER.

"Mike's stature in the band has meant the world to all of us professionally, musically, and personally over the years. There is no dispute: Mike has been a major force within this band.

"While it is true that Mike is choosing to pursue other ventures and challenges, we can assure you that DREAM THEATER will continue to move forward with the same intensity — and in the same musical tradition — that you have all helped make so successful, and which is truly gratifying to us.

"Fans and friends: File this episode under 'Black Clouds and Silver Linings.'

"As planned, we begin recording our newest album in January 2011, and we'll follow that with a full-on world tour.

"'The Spirit Carries On.'

"All of us in DREAM THEATER wholeheartedly wish Mike the best on his musical journey. We have had a long and meaningful career together. It is our true hope that he finds all he is looking for, and that he achieves the happiness he deserves. He will be missed."

I'll agree with 3 of 4 statements of yours. He handled it with more than class, he did it with brutal honesty. It goes to show the DT fanboys that yes, there is a way to get tired of Dream Theater.

That being said, their last album was awesome. I say they take no break and just keep the machine running. Hope they can find a suitable replacement soon and continue kicking ass!

Yes, the last album was awesome, BUT...Jason's point is that if his heart isn't in it, he should give it up and step away. I completely agree with that and it seems he hasn't been as happy or enjoying himself as much as he once did. Like I just said in my previous post, I'm guessing the dude will come back to the fold someday. I just hope he knows what he's doing. The problem here wasn't necessarily Dream Theater burning him out as much as Portnoy burning Portnoy out. The guy is a workaholic. With him not doing Dream Theater, I'm guessing he's just going to add something on his plate instead of just taking it easier.

Also, I'm thinking there's more here than meets the eye. This news comes a day after Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt basically said they don't need Portnoy in their collaboration.

Also, I'm thinking there's more here than meets the eye. This news comes a day after Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt basically said they don't need Portnoy in their collaboration.

Wait...what? What's Akerfeldt up to that I missed? Desperately waiting for a followup to Watershed.

Sad that Portnoy left Dream Theater, but maybe a new colaborator might be good for them? Only time will tell. DT put on a great show opening for Iron Maiden.

Wait...what? What's Akerfeldt up to that I missed? Desperately waiting for a followup to Watershed.

You wanted it you got it:

PORCUPINE TREE's Steven Wilson and Mikael Åkerfeldt from OPETH have set "Storm Corrosion" have set as the working album title of their much-anticipated collaboration project.

In a brand new interview with U.K.'s Classic Rock, Åkerfeldt revealed that the writing process for the CD is now well under way.

"I got together recently with Steven at his house, and we wrote a new tune straight away," says Åkerfeldt. "Of course, with the two of us involved, it was 10 minutes long. And it came out so well that we started working on a second one as well."

Although DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy was initially supposed to be part of the project, it now appears that he will no longer be involved.

"To be honest, there's just no room for drums on what we've done so far. I called Mike up, and he was cool about it. He's got so much going on anyway, and I'm sure we will work together in the future."

Regarding the overall musical direction of "Storm Corrosion", Wilson wrote in a recent Twitter posting, "Don't expect any metal on this one."

This has been known for quite some time, though. The Blabbermouth article was published yesterday, but Wilson confirmed that Portnoy wouldn't be involved months ago.

Wow...this is seismic! It's like Zep losing Bonham, or if Rush lost Peart! From what's been shared, this should have been a creative breather, not a split, it's just wrong...perhaps after their "split" they'll come to their senses; nothing wrong with having another drummer for a tour, but to do a DT record with out Portnoy is well, just wrong...I'll guess we'll see what the future brings...

I haven't cared much for a majority of the songs DT has released over the past few years so as far as I'm concerned this has potential to be a good thing.

This. No more horrible backing vocals. I hope they bring back outside producers too. Four out of five previous albums have been a disgrace imo.

I'm actually excited over the posibility of a new drummer too. A Change is as good as a holiday.

I say this as a rabid ex fanboy too.

This news broke during the Midweek Mayhem show earlier this evening....safe to say that there was a lot of "holy shit!"s and jaws hitting the ground as the word spread. (Also, "April Fool's!" ...at least at first.)

He will be a helluva drummer to replace. (The backing vocals....not so much.)

3 years....that's the maximum I'll give it, untill Portnoy is back with DT. At that point, everyone will be so hungry for the band, that they can suddenly headline 10.000 capacity venues in Europe, in stead of 5.000 venues.

I hope you all have a GREAT weekend over there:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Lars

Awesome. I'd love for this to usher in a more tasteful, elegant version of DT for an album or two -- as seen on I&W and Awake. Portnoy brings a childish, low-brow aspect to the DT stew, it used to be balanced out by Kevin Moore back in the old days, but Mike's influence just grew and grew and overtook the elegance of the band ever since KevMo left. Have fun getting tattoos with Avenged, Mike, perhaps now DT can produce something beautiful and intelligent again.

Awesome. I'd love for this to usher in a more tasteful, elegant version of DT for an album or two -- as seen on I&W and Awake. Portnoy brings a childish, low-brow aspect to the DT stew, it used to be balanced out by Kevin Moore back in the old days, but Mike's influence just grew and grew and overtook the elegance of the band ever since KevMo left. Have fun getting tattoos with Avenged, Mike, perhaps now DT can produce something beautiful and intelligent again.

ahahahahahahahahaha