More Riffs On Punk CDS or Metal CDS?

Listener1254

May 19, 2003
I realized that is harder to play metal than punk once i started playing guitar fully. But my friend told me it's harder to make a punk cd with 15-20 songs on it than it is to make a metal cd with 8-10 songs on it. His reasoning was that on punk cds you have to think of 15-20 different riffs for those songs plus lyrics for all those songs. And since there is more than one riff per song, it would come out to something like an average of 40+ riffs per cd. But with metal he said if its an 8-10 song cd you only have to think of 8-10 different riffs and if theres more than riff per song that would be an average of only about 30+ riffs per song, plus only think of lyrics for 8-10 songs versus 15-20 songs. Lets say theres 3 riffs in a metal song and 8 songs on the cd, thats 24 riffs throughout the cd. if a punk cd has 15 songs on it and theres 3 riffs per song, that equals about 45 riffs per cd. Despite this, many people say that metal is more creative than punk. Another thing is I told him that mostly metal cds with 8-10 songs on it are 40 mins long and punk cds with 15-20 songs on it are also about 40 mins long so it evens out and he said no cause metal they just use the same riffs over and over to make the song longer. This may be true, what do you think? Do you think punk beats out metal for more creative riffs since there are more?

Dying Sun said:
Punk cd's typically run 25-35 minutes, metal cd's 40-60...

Does that mean it's worse than metal? What about the riffs that I explained? What do you think is harder to make?

Immortal Death said:
Please fuck off and die, thank you.

Sorry man but I had to ask this, I will be leaving soon though cause I'm getting a new computer and I can't remember the password for my name since it's saved and I can't remmeber which email address I used to sign up. in about a week or so I won't be posting anymore.

Immortal Death said:
Thank you. :D

Seriously, you really have no clue about punk and/or metal music.

Maybe you could explain since I'm leaving soon. Please man I would really like to know if it's harder to make a metal cd or a punk cd.

He is right though.

Imagine being a punk band who has released 300 songs in your career, you would have worked EXTRA hard to make them sound different from each other.

A metal band has less songs to worry about, and work within a genre free for more variation.

Soilworker said:
He is right though.

Imagine being a punk band who has released 300 songs in your career, you would have worked EXTRA hard to make them sound different from each other.

A metal band has less songs to worry about, and work within a genre free for more variation.

Actually now that I think about it, a lot of the punk riffs sound the same in every song. And in metal they all sound different and you hardly ever hear a repeated riff. i guess metal is harder.

Most Punk songs just use the same 3 chords over and over again. What makes you think there are more riffs in a punk album than in a metal album?

vic was 'ere said:
Most Punk songs just use the same 3 chords over and over again. What makes you think there are more riffs in a punk album than in a metal album?

I guess because there's more songs on a punk cd than a metal cd. It seems harder but maybe it isn't?

Didn't you think of the fact that if the songs are shorter there are less riffs in it?
You're reasoning should be more like how many riffs per X minutes. So if the punk cd is shorter there are less riffs on it. (Though it's stupid to state an amount of riffs per minute, and even more stupid to measure creativity with the amount of riffs)

Listener1254 said:
I realized that is harder to play metal than punk once i started playing guitar fully. But my friend told me it's harder to make a punk cd with 15-20 songs on it than it is to make a metal cd with 8-10 songs on it. His reasoning was that on punk cds you have to think of 15-20 different riffs for those songs plus lyrics for all those songs. And since there is more than one riff per song, it would come out to something like an average of 40+ riffs per cd. But with metal he said if its an 8-10 song cd you only have to think of 8-10 different riffs and if theres more than riff per song that would be an average of only about 30+ riffs per song, plus only think of lyrics for 8-10 songs versus 15-20 songs. Lets say theres 3 riffs in a metal song and 8 songs on the cd, thats 24 riffs throughout the cd. if a punk cd has 15 songs on it and theres 3 riffs per song, that equals about 45 riffs per cd. Despite this, many people say that metal is more creative than punk. Another thing is I told him that mostly metal cds with 8-10 songs on it are 40 mins long and punk cds with 15-20 songs on it are also about 40 mins long so it evens out and he said no cause metal they just use the same riffs over and over to make the song longer. This may be true, what do you think? Do you think punk beats out metal for more creative riffs since there are more?

He shouldn't be your friend. Murder him in the name of Satan to redeem yourself.

Metal songs have more riffs per song that punk songs, and the riffs are harder to play. Bands like Cryptopsy and Spawn Of Possession almost never repeat a riff. Metal, especially tech death, is much harder to play and write than punk is. I do like some punk though; Propagandhi is one of my favorite bands.

Life Sucks said:
Metal songs have more riffs per song that punk songs, and the riffs are harder to play. Bands like Cryptopsy and Spawn Of Possession almost never repeat a riff. Metal, especially tech death, is much harder to play and write than punk is. I do like some punk though; Propagandhi is one of my favorite bands.

Have you ever heard of the grindcore band Nasum? They aren't typical grindcore like every song sounding the same. their songs actually vary and don't sound alike. They have a cd with 38 songs on it in 45 mins. Judging by the fact that they don't repeat a riff, wouldn't it be tougher to make a cd like this than an 8 song cd like Cryptopsy does? Cause you have to think of 38 different riffs just to make the songs sound different and if you have more than one riff per song, that's a shitload of riffs. Cryptopsy has about 5 riffs per song perhaps or is it more? WHat do you think?