Most anticipated releases for 2014

Nightwish will not have a release in 2014, Spring 2015 I think is the date I have read and I think it is even mentioned on the DVD "learn the song list in 48 hours". Tuomas will release his solo effort "The life and times of Scrooge McDuck" in April or May.

2014 looks to be a great year of music. Here are some of my most anticipated releases...

Anathema

Can they keep up the high standard set with their 2 latest releases? If so, they might claim album of the year again. Really curious about how this one will sound.

Darkwater

Over 3 years since "Where Stories End", a shorter, more compact album than the debut, was released. The Swedes are one of my best discoveries the last couple of years; crunching guitars, soaring synths, catchy hooks, and overall just great compositions. Will be exciting to see what they do on album number 3 - maybe a mix of the (more) progginess from "Calling the Earth to Witness" and the more song-based writing on WSE? Can't wait.

Seventh Wonder

I must admit I don't listen as much as I did to this band, but I'm eagerly anticipating their upcoming release. Can they top "The Great Escape"? What new elements will they bring? Will we see a 40 min song? :D

[youtube]IlATFnBRrCY&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]​

Adagio

As with many other bands in the genre, they had their best period some years ago. We might not get another "Sanctus Ignis", their remarkable debut album. But after listening to some demos (posted a year ago, what's taking so long guys?), I feel rather optimistic about it.

Distorted Harmony

Utopia is one of the best albums I've heard for a while, and to think it's only their debut....obviously the "pressure" is on the Israelis for the second album, scheduled for release in March already. I have pledged for it, so hoping it turns out great.

Blind Guardian

Still one of my favorite bands, even though I don't listen to them that often these days. Always exciting with a new BG release, and this is no exception. Will probably be a mix of both old-school speed metal songs, modern mid-tempo, and some longer epics. Hopefully it will be released this year, followed by some touring. Really want to see these guys again.

Evergrey

My number one band discovery of 2013. I absolutely love their earlier albums, In Search of Truth, Recreation Day and The Inner Circle. The last 3 albums after that isn't as good, but it's still pretty decent overall.

All in all, I'm not really expecting another ISoT, but hopefully a solid release with the essential Evergrey ingredients contained.

Gazpacho

Great Norwegian (wohoo:Smokin:) band I have found more and more interesting the last period of time. The "Night" album with its epic "Dream of Stone" is great, and have listened a bit to "March of Ghosts" and "Missa Atropos" as well.

The new album will be titled "Demon", and will consist of 4 songs. Curiously awaiting.

Threshold

March of Progress was a solid disc, expecting a good, but not groundbreaking new release from these legendary British proggers.

Vanden Plas

Kinda the same here. "Netherworld" seems to be quite cinematic, I guess that's fine, as long as it don't gets TOO pompeus and dramatic...I want it to still sound like a metal album, a Vanden Plas disc.

Opeth

While "Heritage" was good, it's not my favourite Opeth album by any means. The new one will certainly sound a bit different according to, and knowing, Mr. Åkerfeldt. Will probably be a little heavier, though not too much. And there's talk about recruiting a real string orchestra. Interesting. I hope and believe for another solid release from this great band.

Anubis Gate

Really haven't listened properly to any other album than "Andromeda Unchained", but AG is a good band.

Enchant

Not too many thoughts about this one, tbh. I really like their 1994 debut "A Blueprint of the World", haven't listened to much to their other albums. But good to see Enchant back in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Delain, Anubis Gate, and Darkwater all have albums for this year then they're all getting money from me. Hadn't heard about a new Evergrey either, but it would be a blind buy.