Most recognizable vocalists in metal

SkeletonWitch

Morphine Child
May 30, 2010
Beirut, Lebanon
Who, in your opinion, are the vocalists who have the most distinctive/recognizable voices in metal, and why ?

My "top 15" list would be something along the lines of :

Jon Oliva. Probably my favourite metal vocalist. I totally ADORE his harsh tone, and how strangely it blends with the melodic nature of Savatage's music.

Mister Doctor. Suffice to say that he is nicknamed "The Man of Thousand Voices".

Bruce Dickinson. Pretty much self-explanatory.

Rob Halford. The very definition of bad-arse, balls-out heavy metal vocals.

Ozzy Ozzbourne. I'M GOING OFF RAILS ON A CRAZY TRAIIIIIIIN. :headbang:

Udo Dirkschneider. Did I just mention badass, balls-out, heavy metal vocals ?

Dani Filth. I abhor most of Cradle of Filth's music, but Dani's voice(s) is instantly recognizable, regardless of whether it's authentic or digitally enhanced.

Aaron Stainthorpe. His whiney clean vocals are quite inimitable.

Eric Adams. Eric is a phenomenal singer. His signature high-pitch vocals, and guttural low pitch vocals showcase a talent and vocal ranges that are rarely attained in music, let alone in metal.

Tom Araya. Song : Necrophobic. Time : 1:20 - 1:35. QFT.

James Hetfield. His recognizable vocals has more to do with the ultra-popularity of Metallica, and their huge breakthrough in the mainstream, rather than unique vocal features, like most of the vocalist included in this.

Dave Mustaine. Dave Mustaine is the proof that you don't have to have a "good" voice to sing and kick ass !

Jon Nordveidt. Many vocalists tried to find a balance between the screechy/raspy nature of black metal vocals, and the guttural/growl-y death metal vocals. No one sounded good as Nordveidt. And most importantly, each and every single word he says is understandable even without the help of the lyrics booklet.

Mike Skalzi. A criminally underrated vocalist playing in a criminally underrated band.

Joey Belladonna. On paper, having a voice typical of European power metal thrown into a thrash metal band is laughable. Joey Belladonna makes it less laughable.

Devil Doll

My Dying Bride

While the latter is band is vilified among "metalheads" for its romantic/gothic antics, Devil Doll/Mister Doctor is a very, very interesting musician and vocalist.

mikael akerfeldt- Brilliant at both the death metal vocals and melodic clean stuff, also instantly recognized.

Agree with Akerfeldt. I'd put Johan from AA up there for most recognisable growl too.

Hansi Kursch has gotta have one of the most recognisable voices for me. Whatever range he's singing in you know its him, and usually layered harmonies too.

Johan Hegg is very easy to tell, awesome vocalist too.
Others i thought of are Nergal from behemoth, randy from lamb of god, Karl and George from Nile and Ihsahn.

since I'm bored I'll add a song from each of them, just in case you dont know these guys.

Messiah Marcolin

Johan Lanquist

Sir Albert Witchfinder

The Overtly Melancholic Lord Strange

Julie Christmas

Matt Barlow

Bobby Liebling

Peter Steele

Last edited by a moderator: