My little rant...

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
I have to say, I’m truly amazed at how many people here are criticizing Glenn for the lineup at PPIV. Please understand that I have no problem with people expressing their displeasure. However, I think the way that some people (not all) have done so is somewhat ungrateful.

I’m shocked at how many people feel comfortable criticizing Glenn from the comfort of their computer rooms. How many of us stuck our necks out, busted our ass, and put our financial future at stake? None. Not one of us. Yet, Glenn has to come here today and read all of these posts by people crying about how he didn't book Act A or Act B. Did it ever occur to you that maybe he tried to book Act A? Did it occur to you that maybe Act A are greedy bastards who don't give a shit about their fans and are in it for the money? Did it occur to you that maybe there were scheduling conflicts? Did it even occur to you that just because you don't like the line-up, that there aren't a bunch of people of who are thrilled?

If I was Glenn, and just spent the last several months busting my ass to bring a much needed Metal festival to the U.S. and had to read the whining that some folks have done on the forum today, I'd be shaking my head in disbelief.

As someone who is a bigger Prog fan than Power fan, I wasn’t thrilled with last year's lineup. Did I complain about it? No. Because I recognize that this festival is about so much more than which bands happen to be playing at it in any particular year. This festival is about trying to build an audience for the genre that we all love.

For the record, I think this lineup blows away last years lineup.

OK. I'm done ranting, feel free to flame me.

GZ

No flaming here, friend. This will be my first PP show. It also amazes me to no end how much people are whining like five year old brats because the bands they thought were coming aren't showing up.

Cry me a fucking river. Bitches.

As posted on another thread...

I'll chime in here :). For me as a fan, I am psyched! Nightwish!? Never thought I would get the chance to see that happen! You realize this is their "year off" as well, so Glenn really made it happen with that. Rage!? how many albums do they have now , like 20? FIRST appearance ever in the USA. That's a big deal. Evergrey and Symphony X return for good reasons, people love em and request it out the ying yang. These 2 bands are hotter than ever as well. Circle II Circle! You think we're gonna get the chance to see this band on a big stage anywhere else in the USA anytime soon? Think not, Glenn took a chance on this one, one I am GLAD he did. The material (in case you didn't realize it's Zak, Ex-Savatage singer) is like Edge of Thorns era Savatage! Pagan's Mind!! This is on eof the mot hyped bands right now, and personally it's one of my top albums of 2002. Redemption! I won't give away any surprises on this one, but the album kcisk butt and it has some top notch players, definitely an up and coming band to watch. Secret Sphere!? Again, who else would ever give these guys a big stage to come over and play on. This is one of the hotter Italian bands out there. I personally love em. Mercenary! This band will appeal to the more aggressive loving crowd. HEAVY.

So, you have to look at this lineup and take it for what it is. A killer balance of Power/Prog (which Glenn purposely tried to keep balanced this year) and presented in a highly professional stage/manner that you absolutely will not see anywhere in the USA, unless you want to go watch some major label big buck paying bands at OzzFest. Glenn simply can not afford to bring in ALL the big names out there like you may be asking. Money does make a difference unfortunately. As it is, Glenn will be investing around 50+ grand on this show, that takes BALLS. Now, there were some other bands that almost played but for this and that reason it just fell through. I will leave that up to Glenn to divulge at a later time as he feels like.

Bottom line is, the bands may not hit everyone's fav lists, but majority of people out there will be highly stoked to make this show. There will absolutely be NO corners will be cut anywhere, that's not an option. I believe PPUSA IV is keeping with the tradition and quality it has lived up to/is expected from fans.

As posted on another thread from myself:

I'll chime in here :). For me as a fan, I am psyched! Nightwish!? Never thought I would get the chance to see that happen! You realize this is their "year off" as well, so Glenn really made it happen with that. Rage!? how many albums do they have now , like 20? FIRST appearance ever in the USA. That's a big deal. Evergrey and Symphony X return for good reasons, people love em and request it out the ying yang. These 2 bands are hotter than ever as well. Circle II Circle! You think we're gonna get the chance to see this band on a big stage anywhere else in the USA anytime soon? Think not, Glenn took a chance on this one, one I am GLAD he did. The material (in case you didn't realize it's Zak, Ex-Savatage singer) is like Edge of Thorns era Savatage! Pagan's Mind!! This is on eof the mot hyped bands right now, and personally it's one of my top albums of 2002. Redemption! I won't give away any surprises on this one, but the album kcisk butt and it has some top notch players, definitely an up and coming band to watch. Secret Sphere!? Again, who else would ever give these guys a big stage to come over and play on. This is one of the hotter Italian bands out there. I personally love em. Mercenary! This band will appeal to the more aggressive loving crowd. HEAVY.

So, you have to look at this lineup and take it for what it is. A killer balance of Power/Prog (which Glenn purposely tried to keep balanced this year) and presented in a highly professional stage/manner that you absolutely will not see anywhere in the USA, unless you want to go watch some major label big buck paying bands at OzzFest. Glenn simply can not afford to bring in ALL the big names out there like you may be asking. Money does make a difference unfortunately. As it is, Glenn will be investing around 50+ grand on this show, that takes BALLS. Now, there were some other bands that almost played but for this and that reason it just fell through. I will leave that up to Glenn to divulge at a later time as he feels like.

Bottom line is, the bands may not hit everyone's fav lists, but majority of people out there will be highly stoked to make this show. There will absolutely be NO corners will be cut anywhere, that's not an option. I believe PPUSA IV is keeping with the tradition and quality it has lived up to/is expected from fans.

General.............

WELL PUT.

and i wont speak for anyone other than myself, but my opinion is just that.............an opinion.

but i dont quite agree with what you say........

this festival is about so much more than which bands happens to be playing at it in any particular year. This festival is about trying to build an audience for the genre that we all love.

I think it should first and foremost be about the music.

I wasn't trying to suggest it wasn't about the music. I'm merely trying to point out that it's about more than just the music. Having attended the last two festivals, I can honestly say I would have had a blast had there not been any bands there.

GZ

General Zod said:
For the record, I think this lineup blows away last years lineup.

GZ

I agree with everything you say except the above quoted section. Let's not kid ourselves here. I think Glenn would even say that last years lineup was a dream come true, and one that will likely never be topped. This lineup BLOWS away last year's? Come on bro, no disrespect, but give me a break; let's be honest with ourselves here. Now I know you're gonna say that you are more of a prog fan or whatever, but even as a prog fan, you can't sit there and say that this lineup blows away last year's when there were 5 Headliners partcipating in last years mayhem!!! The energy and excitement for bands like Edguy, Angra, Gamma Ray, and Blind Guardian were unexplainable.

This year, I won't be psyched before Symphony X comes out. I saw them at least 10 times already, and Rage I could care less about. So there go the headliners. Compare that to Gamma Ray and Angra, and Pain of Salvation and BG.

On a name for name basis, almost every band there last year blows away this years' bands. I am not complaining, but simply stating facts. I for one am happy with this lineup because I knew a long time ago that last years could not be topped (which has even been evidenced by Glenn himself!). You are entitled to your opinion, and I hope you enjoy PPIV more than III. (That's what it is all about!). I won't, but I will still have one hell of a time since like you said, we should be grateful to even have such a festival here in the US. And hopefully it will continue to grow with bands like Helloween, Stratovarius, Shaman, Labyrinth, Human Fortress, etc... Glenn has a long list to choose from for the future; I'm not worried since if he sticks with this, I know I will eventually see all my favorite bands (Labyrinth and Helloween!!!).

Anyone going to X this Friday? I'll be next to the guy with the "TIGHT" shirt on!!! LOL

nightwish58 said:
I agree with everything you say except the above quoted section. Let's not kid ourselves here.
Don't forget, this all comes down to a matter of personal tastes. I don't much care for Gamma Ray. I like Angra, but their not in my Top 10. Blind Guardian is not one of my favorites. I don't much care for Devin Townsend. I'm not a huge Pain of Salvation fan.

I'm not concerned with which lineup has a more impressive resume or has sold more records. The simple fact of the matter is, I like the PPIV bands more than the PPIII bands. And therefore, I stand by my statement.

I will be at SX Friday night.

GZ

nightwish58 said:
I agree with everything you say except the above quoted section. Let's not kid ourselves here. I think Glenn would even say that last years lineup was a dream come true, and one that will likely never be topped. This lineup BLOWS away last year's? Come on bro, no disrespect, but give me a break; let's be honest with ourselves here. Now I know you're gonna say that you are more of a prog fan or whatever, but even as a prog fan, you can't sit there and say that this lineup blows away last year's when there were 5 Headliners partcipating in last years mayhem!!! The energy and excitement for bands like Edguy, Angra, Gamma Ray, and Blind Guardian were unexplainable.

I got to say that I didn't care for BG or Gamma Ray and Edguy was cool, not the greatest. Angra ruled though, they were one of my favotires at any PPUSA. But as GZ said it all comes down to opinion, bottom line.

Bear

Also we should add how a lot of times yo ucome away with different feelings of the bands than you went in with. I came away loving Nightingale and ARK whereas I wasn't expecting much going in. Funny how things work eh?

I hear ya; I guess it comes down to my stuborness coupled with the fact that 8 of the 10 bands in last years lineup happened to be 8 of my favorite bands of all time! Anyway, maybe we will see each other at the X show on Friday!

Bear said:
I got to say that I didn't care for BG or Gamma Ray and Edguy was cool, not the greatest. Angra ruled though, they were one of my favotires at any PPUSA. But as GZ said it all comes down to opinion, bottom line.

Bear

See, for me, I love all those bands. That's what got my ass out to Atlanta. Problem is, there's a certain same-ness across the lineup, particularly because BG didn't really do any of their -really- epic stuff.

This year's lineup will have a -lot- more variety, and there's not a band on the list that I'm not looking forward to seeing live.

Great thread GZ. I've had the same feelings. I don't remember people complaining (expressing their opinions I mean) about last year but of course my memory isn't that great. There ARE some big names playing this year!! I for one am so psyched about the bands that are playing. This is a show I'm set on for years to come (plus I'm the gold badge purchaser so I have to go...) no matter WHO plays. Even if I didn't like every band that played, I have so much fun when I'm there, it doesn't matter. One or 2 bands that I wasn't really interested in always seem to surprise me at this show (for the good). I'd pick Progpower ANY day over sandy beaches. A lot of it IS about the music, especially if you haven't gone before but this is our 3rd show and I wouldn't miss it for the world....thanks 1st and foremost to Glenn but also thank everyone else that I've met and haven't met yet for always making this show a trip to remember (unless I've had too much to drink...but I know I still have a great time...)!!

Sheri :Shedevil:

Great posts Zod and Deron...you can't please everyone completely, but be grateful that the one-man operation called Progpower USA even exists. I commend Glenn's commitment to this show and putting together a diverse lineup.

That said, the Progpower 2.0 lineup will always be the best. :)