my new favorite album of 2009, non prog, non power

Bear

Got Shred??
Feb 6, 2002
Canton, Georgia
So I am not sure how many people here have heard it or anything from it but I am a little floored by Black Gives Way to Blue. Been a huge fan of Alice in Chains since I saw them open up for Extreme in San Francisco at The Stone back in '89 and they blew me away that night...They didn't even have an album out then, it was a 3 song sampler with Man in the Box, We Die Young and I think Sunshine. Anyways, as many of us were saddened by Layne's death, I am sure most though AiC done, I did hoping I was wrong. I know they have been back together for a few years but I really thought that nothing substantial would come of it.

Welly well well Black Gives Way to Blue. I cant believe its been 14 years since AiC's last album, damn!! You know when you hear a song and say damn, that is fucking just badass!!! The was the initial response throughout the album for me. I was shocked to hear how close William Duvall resembles Layne and harmonizes greatly with Cantrell, it was a bit flooring to me to hear...

Also man you just know when true professionals at their craft are forging one of those albums. Jerry Cantrell so out does himself on this album, you dont have to overplay to have something sound awesome. I really love the production too. So yeah I cant stop playing it, in its melancholy, doomy, rocking badassness self... Try Black gives Way to Blue, you will be glad you did...

PS: Last of My Kind = Freaking badass!!!!!!!!

1. All Secrets Known
  2. Check My Brain
  3. Last Of My Kind
  4. Your Decision
  5. A Looking In View
  6. When The Sun Rose Again
  7. Acid Bubble
  8. Lesson Learned
  9. Take Her Out
  10. Private Hell
  11. Black Gives Way To Blue

Bear

Its improving on me over time. But I don't feel that it has any songs that hit me like No Excuses, Would?, Them Bones, and some of their others. Cantrell nor Duval quite can get that painful sound that Layne emoted. However, I think its a good album.

Its improving on me over time. But I don't feel that it has any songs that hit me like No Excuses, Would?, Them Bones, and some of their others. Cantrell nor Duval quite can get that painful sound that Layne emoted. However, I think its a good album.
Your Decision? I mean that song feels like it came right off the self titled release. Jerry has probably had that song in his arsenal for years, its so polished and smooth, great song. Big shouts outs to Mike Inez and Sean Kinney too, great bass and drums as always.

Bear

I'm not a big fan of the new songs (a bit slow, dark and boring). A Looking in View is my favorite. It did make me dig up Dirt and I almost forgot just how good that album really was!

Its got a classic feeling to me. I personally am getting tired of every band trying to break the speed record for riffing. Sometimes, laying back in a groove is a good thing...

Bear

I was expecting this thing to be good ever since I saw this new version open up for Velvet Revolver a couple years ago. However, I wasn't expecting this to be as good as it is. Truly every track is awesome. My only complaint are the lyrics on "Check My Brain" as it seems like a weird theme for AIC to tackle, but that's nitpicking. It definitely is in my top 5 for the year. As for people complaining it's too slow, are you really an AIC fan? Because a high percentage of their back catalog is slow, heavy and atmospheric. I've always said they're more like a sludge metal band than a grunge band like they've always been labeled.

Bear - I got your back with the pick.

Jerry has said the album's monochromatic nature is intentional, but temporary.

And Jerry will NOT be harmonizing so much on future albums.

Has said where if you dont mind. Jerry sings lead on two songs, why would he quit harmonizing like he has always done? Its his staple and the sound of AiC.

Bear

it's not quitting, but dominating the vocals as on this album.

And the information I got was from the album premiere radio special AIC did with Metallica and Guitar World and Rolling Stone and Classic Rock Magazine and . . .and . . .and . .

Yes, the harmonies are a staple of AIC, and I love them.

Meanwhile, the album kicks ass.

I'm guessing it just means that Jerry will let Duvall sing more lines on his own. Which is what AiC tended to do. Layne would have his solo parts combined with killer harmonizations.