My Radio Show's Album of the Year (2010) Poll!

DTJeff

I Am My Nation
Oct 7, 2007
Allentown, PA
www.myspace.com
Hey everyone, my radio show is doing its third annual "Album of the Year" poll for our 2010 Wrap-Up show on Monday, December 27th.

DISCLAIMER: I believe I posted this here last year and got tore a new one by some people for not including enough albums. Look, obviously I can't compensate for the absolutely enormous number of albums that came out this year. I personally hear almost 80 releases. But ultimately, my cohost and I always select our favorites for this poll, and have our listeners vote for their favorites amongst those. We expanded the poll from 12 to 20 choices this year. I know many of you won't have your actual favorite 2010 release represented in this poll, but please take the time to vote for your favorite of the 20 present. Your participation is appreciated greatly. Thank you in advance.

http://www.wpapu.com

Just voted!
Checked the results so far, Avantasia in 1st, seriously??

Must say though, the choices this year are much better than last year. Good job. :)

wow.....not a good list for best albums. Both Avantasia disc release dthis year were mediocre at best. Each had like 2 or 3 great songs and the rest seemed like B sides from The Scarecrow. Like Jason said...no Gamma Ray, helloween, Freedom Call, Angra .....all who put out great new disc this year.

DTJeff, a suggestion for you:

Instead of picking your favorite albums, and making it a poll of YOUR favorite albums, how about you actually do a little research and list most releases of the year, regardless of you having checked it or not, liked it or not? Allow your audience to pick THEIR best albums instead of making them pick the best (or least worse) of yours?

Something to consider! :)

I actually thought the list was pretty solid this year. Naturally there are a few albums that I would have on there ( Spiritual Beggars, Firebird, Borknagar ), but I did see Haken on the list and that one can easily be a top contender for me.

For the record, I understand the feedback about needing more choices and less of our own personal favorites - but I don't run this show by myself, and my cohost really wants to stick to the style we've had thus far. So my hands are kinda tied.

In response to people yelling at me for not having albums like Gamma Ray and Freedom Call... I heard them, I just thought they were incredibly boring. I LOVE Gamma Ray, but the new album just struck me as incredibly meh.

Also, I heard over 70 albums this year, getting it down to this many absolutely killed me.

I LOVE Gamma Ray, but the new album just struck me as incredibly meh.

I would have to agree with you here. I love Gamma Ray, but I was really disappointed in the new one, especially considering how great Land of the Free II was. Overall, this is a good list. Can't say I'm surprised by Avantasia leading though. I do like those albums a good deal actually, though not as great as they could've been.

What I find most shocking though is Haken being number 2. I haven't listened to it fully and will, but I just find it interesting that that many people listened to it and voted it that high. My pick was Blind Guardian I would have to say out of those.

As for Helloween, they are my favorite power metal band by a long shot, but the new one is still growing on me. It may enter my top 10, but it may not as well.

Its kinda a weird list cuz it includes stuff like Anathema / Kaipa AND stuff like Blind Guardian / Sinbreed. So I'd guess that quite a few people on one end wouldn't consider an album on the other end, regardless of the quality. I personally think that the new Anathema album is the strongest on the list, but the style is obviously very different from the rest and perhaps off the map for most of the viewers. Of course, that's just my opinion so who knows.