My rant for Presto Ballet at a future ProgPower

A while ago, I was introduced to this prog rock band. A band that really pays homage to the beginnings of a genre in which this festival is named after. I put "The Lost Art of Time Travel" into my CD player for the first time, and what came out was pure Styx/Yes/Rush worship. A prog band that has written a song like it could be from 1974, but their sound is 21st century like. The songs in my opinion are just epic rock songs.

With Glenn expanding the horizons on this festival, I feel this band would fit the festival like a glove. Paying tribute to the roots of prog, while having a very crisp, clean modern sound.

I think they would totally work.

Just my $.02

A while ago, I was introduced to this prog rock band. A band that really pays homage to the beginnings of a genre in which this festival is named after. I put "The Lost Art of Time Travel" into my CD player .........

Presto Ballet is the brainchild of Kurdt Vanderhoof, who formed Metal Church back in the late 1800's. Well not that long ago, but Metal Church wasn't doing so well, so he disbanded them fairly recently and now has inserted the last Metal Church lead singer, Ronny Monroe into the vocalist slot for "Presto Ballet." Ronnie was not that bad of a fit for MC mind you, but I don't know how he is going to sound with "Presto Ballet." Kurdt is one hell of a songwriter, as I still to this day listen to the early Wayne and the Howe era MC as well as the PB stuff, but I am very wary of the vocalist change. MC never survived Mike Howe's departure, though they "lingered on" for many years after.

Bryant

I think they'd do better at Nearfest than ProgPower.

Exactly. I think Presto Ballet may have been able to find a home early in the PP lifecycle, but the direction has shifted even more away from this type of band. But I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were on a future Nearfest roster (where all the prog geeks could sneer that they are too "hard rock").

I thought Riverside was going to be too mellow, yet they went over quite well.

the difference is RIverside kicks it in at times in their songs, i haven't heard that in the Presto Ballet I have. It's just too mellow, prog rock

To my ears, if Riverside can play this fest, then Presto Ballet can play this fest. I'm listening to Mind Machine right now and it has a blast beat part. :kickass: There are plenty of places where this song rocks. The Lost Art of Time Travel is a fabulous heavy rock album.

It's fun to argue this point with you others....PB would fit this fest like a glove.

To my ears, if Riverside can play this fest, then Presto Ballet can play this fest. I'm listening to Mind Machine right now and it has a blast beat part. :kickass: There are plenty of places where this song rocks. The Lost Art of Time Travel is a fabulous heavy rock album.

It's fun to argue this point with you others....PB would fit this fest like a glove.
Honestly, Riverside is heavier to me