Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
neverending.jpg

Label: http://www.nuclearblastusa.com/
Release Date: February 22, 2004
Home Page: http://www.mysticprophecy.com/

There are so many Power Metal bands these days, that it’s become almost impossible to keep up with the scene. Most of these bands lack originality. Rather than take a chance and push themselves creatively, they choose to follow a tried and true formula. Among these bands, there are those that succeed in spite of their lack of creativity (see HAMMERFALL and EDGUY). And then there are those who do it just as well as the aforementioned bands, perhaps better, yet never find as wide an audience. Enter MYSTIC PROPHECY.

Greece’s MYSTIC PROPHECY are not here to blaze new roads across the Metal landscape. Rather, they endeavor only to write songs that rightfully deserve to be played at extreme volumes. Blending dark Power Metal, with hints of Thrash, their sound is more U.S. than it is Mediterranean. With soaring vocals and crunching guitar work, MYSTIC PROPHECY delivers the goods, track after neck-snapping track.

Never-Ending is MYSTIC PROPHECY’s third CD, and according to the promo-sheet, it’s the third installment in a lyrical trilogy. The trilogy follows the life and death of a monk, who is sentenced to burn at the stake for heresy. As someone who owns the last two installments in this trilogy, I was surprised to learn that these CDs were related, or even that they were in and of themselves concept albums. In fairness, I’ve never sat down to read the lyrics. Nor did I ever stop banging my head long enough to regain the type of mental focus required to pick up on such details. Lyrical shortcomings aside, what we have here is eleven superb tracks, delivered with power.

Vocalist R. Dimitri Liapakis’ powerful voice is both melodic and edgy. There’s an underlying coarseness to it that fits MYSTIC PROPHECY’s style perfectly. The guitar work, delivered by Gus G. (DREAM EVIL, NIGHTRAGE), is flawless. One killer riff, follows the next. Leads are delivered with precision and style. Drummer Dennis Ekdahl’s double-bass work is a real treat. While he uses it often, he doesn’t abuse it, and has a knack for breaking it out at all the right moments.

As I implied earlier, there’s nothing about MYSTIC PROPHECY’s style that’s going to separate them from the pack. However, they do what they do better than most. Hopefully they won’t be lost in the endless sea of generic Power Metal bands.

Rating: 7/10
Reviewer: General Zod

I would have scored Never Ending similarly as well. It's a good notch or so below their previous effort "Regressus", but it's still rather solid overall. I also like their debut disc a little more than Never Ending as well. If I was asked to name one Mystic Prophecy disc to purchase I'd definately say "Regressus". I think it is a highly enjoyable power metal album. I quite enjoy R.D. Liapakis's voice as well. It's a little rough and gravelly, but it definately sounds metal.

Britt