Votes: 26 51.0%
  • Steve Harris

Votes: 25 49.0%

• Total voters

SavaVIDude

Savatage Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
Houston, Texas, USA, Earth
Was thinking about this Friday night when I saw DT and Maiden - that, IMO, these are the two best bass players in all of rock. I know their styles are radically different, but wanted to know everyone's opinion. I think Steve Harris has got John Myung with the right hand, but Myung's left hand is ridiculous!! I go with Myung.

Peace,
Chris :headbang:

Not even sure how you'd compare the two. Are we comparing them strictly as players? If so, Myung is the more adept player. Beyond that microscopic view of what they do, they're not even in the same conversation.

Well technically, Myung is the better player, by far.... But he's Asian, so it's kind of a given... lol

BUT... There aren't too many bassists that put on such a good show as Harris does, or write as well as he does.

So, they're in two completely different ball parks. I'd rather watch Harris live, but listen to Myung play.

Yeah, don't see much point here. Myung probably is the better player, but Harris puts on a better show AND is a better songwriter for sure.

Yeah, don't see much point here. Myung probably is the better player, but Harris puts on a better show AND is a better songwriter for sure.

This.

So it really just depends on who you ask.
I suppose a guitar geek would pick Myung.

But for people who care about great songs and a great live metal performance, Harris is the obvious choice.

Harris is the better performer, and also pioneered a style of the bass really driving the rhythm as opposed to merely backing it up. But I voted for Myung, since he is the better player.

This.

So it really just depends on who you ask.
I suppose a guitar geek would pick Myung.

But for people who care about great songs and a great live metal performance, Harris is the obvious choice.

Have to agree with both of you on this - hard to compare. On the issue of preference, I go with Harris.

personally, i feel if you are strictly comparing their level of playing ability Myung probably has got my vote.

but there is so much more to being a musician, and i think if you are looking at all aspects of musicianship beyond just how fast their fingers can move, Harris wins hands down in my opinion.