Need- Orvam: A song for Home (aka "a F*cking Amazing Disc")

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
I have been listening to this disc on their bandcamp page all day long.

It's dark, melodic prog that is hugely inspired by later Fates Warning. However, the band interjects some Nevermore balls along with all sorts of prog including a bit of Kingcrow. I haven't been this excited about a prog band that I haven't heard before since Haken's debut.

The 18 minute epic:

The heavier side:

Hear the entire thing and buy:

http://needband.bandcamp.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's cool they got Keith Richards for the cover, so there's a decent start to the marketing campaign.

I gotta ask, Glenn cause I do try...how do you actually find stuff on bandcamp.com? I can literally spend hours searching through various filters, tags, genres and come up with nothing. 98 percent of anything tagged progressive is a screamo-emocore kinda thing going on. This is really, really nice and a great find. I just wish I could go fishing like you and others do and find a gem or two. I sorta discovered/broke Shattered Skies, but nobody gave a shit about them so it doesn't count. Cool find, thanks.

Well, it's cool they got Keith Richards for the cover, so there's a decent start to the marketing campaign. I gotta ask, Glenn cause I do try...how do you actually find stuff on bandcamp.com? I can literally spend hours searching through various filters, tags, genres and come up with nothing. 98 percent of anything tagged progressive is a screamo-emocore kinda thing going on. This is really, really nice and a great find. I just wish I could go fishing like you and others do and find a gem or two. I sorta discovered/broke Shattered Skies, but nobody gave a shit about them so it doesn't count. Cool find, thanks.

Milton pointed this one out to me. I will let him tell his story.

I will say that most of the time I find the bands first on youtube and then see if they are on bandcamp.

Milton pointed this one out to me. I will let him tell his story.

I will say that most of the time I find the bands first on youtube and then see if they are on bandcamp.

You're welcome. :loco::headbang::devil:

For me, it's both a want and a need.

I want to go out there and find as many new bands as I can because at the end of the day, I am just a fan who is obsessed with our "genres." One day without music to me throws me on the edge of desperation. I feel suffocated. It's been like this with music for me since I was 3 years old.

The need part comes from working as a booking agent, manager and now concert promoter. I feel like I am doing a disservice to myself (and my future in the industry) if I'm not alert to what's going on out there, what newcomers could make a difference in the scene, what's still undiscovered, etc. Contrary to what some people may think, there's always going to be new "classics" and "masterpieces" appearing. Nobody who stays stuck in the past survives in this business. I sure as hell won't be one of them to die the slow, agonizing "death by the old-school."

I'd say finding new awesome bands is a combination of researching in the right place, knowing the right people and a little bit of luck sometimes.

I gave a few songs a spin but didn't get any Fates Warning vibe from it. It definitely will need some plays to absorb all that is going on and could be an interesting opener for a future ProgPower.

Glad to see they have a new one out. I will add it to the queue. Their previous album is worthwhile. My blurb from 2009:

97. Need - Siamese God

These Greek lads have an interesting sound. They play modern metal that is significantly groove-oriented and has aggro moments, but they also throw some Nevermore (no more obviously than on their track “Flesh Machines”), GracePoint, and Tool into the mix. The rhythm section is the musical highlight for me given the clearly audible bass playing and the little touches on the drumming that keep things interesting. Several of the tracks have choruses that are so catchy, I could almost hear them being played on a mainstream hard rock radio station. Of course, that will never happen, so I suggest you support the band by ordering Siamese God from them. In addition, the packaging is pretty cool for an independent band.

Hi from me.

"Orvam" is an excellent album. Possibly the best album (outside the extreme genre that was never really my cup of tea) that has come out from the Greek metal scene.
There are two things that I really appreciate about Need. Firstly, they sound even better playing live. That's a great asset, especially for a band that plays challenging music. Secondly, they're the opposite of the usual case of "more talk than walk" here. They work hard, try to make the right step each time and don't over expose themselves.

I'm glad to see people paying the attention that this band deserves and hopefully this album will give them the chance to get their music to bigger audiences.

Hi from me.

"Orvam" is an excellent album. Possibly the best album (outside the extreme genre that was never really my cup of tea) that has come out from the Greek metal scene.

There are two things that I really appreciate about Need. Firstly, they sound even better playing live. That's a great asset, especially for a band that plays challenging music. .

This disc is a monster. From the clips I found, I'm also impressed with their live performance. I really dug the tone on the solo starting around the 4:10 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_U5aAo8C4U

I gave a few songs a spin but didn't get any Fates Warning vibe from it. It definitely will need some plays to absorb all that is going on and could be an interesting opener for a future ProgPower.

Really? I definitely heard the Fates vocal melodies at times during the 18 minute track which was awesome. I really dig this stuff and will try and track down the physical cd if one exists.

Really? I definitely heard the Fates vocal melodies at times during the 18 minute track which was awesome. I really dig this stuff and will try and track down the physical cd if one exists.

I've run through this a few times, and its definitely worth a purchase. Actually, I bought all three because they are pretty fucking good. The vocals have a bit of Tom Englund and maybe some David Draiman but I am getting absolutely ZERO Fates Warning vibe, vocals or musically.

Comparisons don't matter; its killer! That's all that matters.

Oh yeah, they are available in actual physical format through bandcamp. Now I guess I'll see how quickly they arrive.

After hearing that 18 minute track, I immediately tracked this thing down and purchased the physical cd from their label. Can't wait to get this thing!

Agreed! Can't wait to put this on the stereo and crank the hell out of it! If you haven't checked out their 2nd disc "Siamese God", do it! Its a bit ballsier, a lot growlier and just as good.