Need some advice on blending drum samples...

Punkyskunky

Engineer at Brett Brothers Studio
Mar 8, 2014
Turkey
www.thomasbrettmixing.com
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out how to do sample blending under my current drum tracks to help them cut through the mix better, but I need some advice to get me started. I have superior drummer, steven slate drums and a large collection of samples I've collected from the forum over the past few weeks. I know how to blend samples under my existing snare/kick but what I'm really struggling with is choosing the right snare/kick samples to blend in the first place...

So my question is this: When choosing a sample to blend under your snare/kick what are you looking for in the sample you are going to blend? is it to do with the samples having a nice attack? Do the samples I pick for blending need to sound similar to my current snare/kick?

Sorry if I sound like an idiot :erk: But I've noticed alot of you guys on the forum use this method and would really like to start doing it myself.

Thanks for any input in advance :D

When doing sample augmentation for good drum tracks I tend to only use samples for attack and smack while keeping the "tone" and sustain of the original drum. In some cases though, such as poorly recorded thin snare or kick, it might be useful to add "meaty" sample with a lot of body. So to me personally it seems that if you decide to use samples, then you should pick ones that provide what's missing in your original tracks.

it can be any kind of characteristic you're looking for, as well as consistency.

most of the time I'm using the majority of the snare sound naturally and using samples only for additional room sound (with no kit bleed). sometimes I'll blend in a REALLY ring snare too.

When doing sample augmentation for good drum tracks I tend to only use samples for attack and smack while keeping the "tone" and sustain of the original drum. In some cases though, such as poorly recorded thin snare or kick, it might be useful to add "meaty" sample with a lot of body. So to me personally it seems that if you decide to use samples, then you should pick ones that provide what's missing in your original tracks.

^ So let's say I have a snare with a nice body but is lacking a bit of attack,
would it be a better idea to blend in a snare with not too much body and a good attack rather than trying to boost the original snare's attack with an EQ? Also when blending samples are you EQ'ing the original and the sample individually or in a group?

Another quick question, when you say "I tend to only use samples for attack and smack while keeping the "tone" " are there any specific samples you are talking about? I've noticed that alot of people on this forum like to blend in some of the steven slate snares for the "attack and smack" you are talking about.

Btw Thanks for the quick replies guys, they help a ton!

Well, usually it's the attack and consistency that's missing in recorded tracks, so that's what most people look for in samples. You could also use samples for more body, there are no hard and fast rules really. A couple of points though:
- When you print samples ALWAYS check for phase and polarity with your ears
- You need to make sure that the final sample & recorded blend doesn't sound too fake, so always audition the blend with OH tracks engaged. Use pitching wheel in your trigger software to help it gel better, it's there for a reason
- Might be obvious, but use compression on the final blend (as compared to using different comps on the original and sample/s), to make original and sampled snare to sound more as one