Nevermore @ Jaxx

I'm probably making it to the Worcester date. Really hoping they don't have to cut much of the set, as it's part of Rock & Shock, and the Nevermore & GWAR tours are being combined. Nevermore goes on second to last before GWAR, no idea how long they'll have or if they'll have to cut the setlist any.

Nevermore goes on second to last before GWAR...
If I had to pick a mere eight words to sum up just how f**ked the musical landscape is in this country, I would choose those above. Seriously, what more do you need to know than more people will pay money to hear Flattus Maximus and Jizmak Da Gusha over Jeff Loomis and Van Williams?

By the way... Nevermore tonight.

:hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump:

I've never seen Nevermore live, but I'd like to. I was hoping they'd hit Asheville, North Carloina, but they're playing Raleigh instead. :err: The Orange Peel in Asheville is a much better venue than what I've seen out of Raleigh.

~Brian~

Anyone got any comments on the current Nevermore tour? I saw them last Thursday in NC, and i have to say i was very dissapointed in Warrell Dane's performance, which is kinda painful since I am such a huge fan of his(and Nevermore) and i had never seen them live before. The band, however, was firing on all cylinders, everyone was tight as fuck.

Warbringer and Blackguard kicked major ass as well.

Anyone got any comments on the current Nevermore tour? I saw them last Thursday in NC, and i have to say i was very dissapointed in Warrell Dane's performance, which is kinda painful since I am such a huge fan of his(and Nevermore) and i had never seen them live before. The band, however, was firing on all cylinders, everyone was tight as fuck.

Warbringer and Blackguard kicked major ass as well.

I was at the Raleigh show as well, and also was disappointed in Warrel's performance. He fucked up a song or two (Your Poison Throne was one), he let the crowd sing far too often, and just didn't sing like we know he can. To be fair, he did have some great moments. The band was indeed tight as hell and sounding great - watching Loomis nail songs like The Obsidian Conspiracy was awesome.

Warbringer did kick ass - bought a CD from them after the show.

I'm also curious how other shows have gone - I'm in need of a Zod's concert review...

The Jaxx show was bad, for a few reasons. First, Warrel's voice was gone. I'm not talking an inability to hit all the notes, I'm talking an inability to speak. It was one of the guttiest performances I've ever seen. However, it also really killed the songs. This has nothing to do with drugs or drink. Their touring guitar player, who is from Hungary, and Van started the tour sick. This turned the tour bus into a "petri dish". Second, Jim is also dealing with some health issues which he's managing. Finally, the sound there was awful. The guitars were too low in the mix, the drums too loud and the entire sound was pretty muddy.

I saw them again last night in Philly and it was like a completely different band. They slayed. Warrel was somewhere between where he was on Friday and 100%. I suspect he should be nearing 100% by tomorrow's show. The crowd, although probably the same size, was twice as loud.

An interesting aside, even with no mid-range, Warrel was somehow able to hit (or come close) to many of the high notes, I'm actually (strangely) more confident now, that he can pull off the Sanctuary stuff. I also think the type of one off shows they'll be doing in support of Sanctuary, are going to be much easier on him. I suspect as singers age, one off shows, where their voice has been resting for weeks, are much easier than the day in, day out grind of the road and tour bus living.

Looking forward to show 3 of 3 tomorrow in NYC. :kickass:

I was just going to say the same thing. Then again, I hope there's a new Nevermore Era starting with this US Tour. Enough of the dark ages. Never again should we go on without seeing Nevermore on a bill for more than a few months.

I changed my mind. I would not protest neveragain coming to my town once a month as long as groups actually worth seeing opened for them.

Muahaha

The Jaxx show was bad, for a few reasons. First, Warrel's voice was gone. I'm not talking an inability to hit all the notes, I'm talking an inability to speak. It was one of the guttiest performances I've ever seen. However, it also really killed the songs. This has nothing to do with drugs or drink. Their touring guitar player, who is from Hungary, and Van started the tour sick. This turned the tour bus into a "petri dish". Second, Jim is also dealing with some health issues which he's managing. Finally, the sound there was awful. The guitars were too low in the mix, the drums too loud and the entire sound was pretty muddy.

I saw them again last night in Philly and it was like a completely different band. They slayed. Warrel was somewhere between where he was on Friday and 100%. I suspect he should be nearing 100% by tomorrow's show. The crowd, although probably the same size, was twice as loud.

An interesting aside, even with no mid-range, Warrel was somehow able to hit (or come close) to many of the high notes, I'm actually (strangely) more confident now, that he can pull off the Sanctuary stuff. I also think the type of one off shows they'll be doing in support of Sanctuary, are going to be much easier on him. I suspect as singers age, one off shows, where their voice has been resting for weeks, are much easier than the day in, day out grind of the road and tour bus living.

Looking forward to show 3 of 3 tomorrow in NYC. :kickass:

Now that you mention it. I did notice that his screams were pretty spot on, it was mostly the mid range stuff that was terrible. He completely botched Heart Collector and Emptiness Unobstructed, which made me a very sad bear. :(

I did enjoy the overall band performance and will definitely go see them again if they come by Raleigh one more time.

I thought of going up there to see Nevermore just this past Friday. After seeing Zod's description, kinda glad I did not have to fight through the shitty traffic to get up there on a Friday evening to see it. Anyway, I am so going to be at that Firewind show that is coming there, though.

Nevermore was great in Atlanta. Warrell hit the highs flawlessly.

Yep. I was gonna mention this. That was probably his best vocal performance that I've seen thus far.
One of their techs confirmed after the show that the ATL gig had been one of the best -- he might have said THE best -- on the tour from the standpoint of Warrel's voice. :kickass: