"New and Unfamilar Bands" (for 5150)

I guess I got under your skin. :devil:

Sorry that wasn't my intention. I was just answering your question about the lineup in general after getting past the "WTF" (as you put it).

Actually I never used the term "new" bands. Instead I mentioned "unknown" , "obscure", "lack of buzz" as indicated by the lack of discussion on this board, the PM:X and the audience at PPXI. But obviously I have been hiding under a rock since the 2011 lineup bands have been around for many years. And as for bands with one or no albums, not a problem. I can remember you actively promoting Raintime and Circus Maximus before you announced their appearance at PP. One out of two ain't bad. ;)

I am just saying you need to clue more us in about your favorites before announcing them at PP. Then maybe we won't be shocked by the line up.

I suspect as a concert promoter you have many inside leads (and free CDs) to share with the PP community. At least your opinions of them.

And by the way, I didn't say I wasn't going to PPXII. I've already been told by a good friend that regardless of the bands, I will be attending.

But thanks for taking the time to discuss and I hope I didn't ruin your time off. :wave:

For my part, I tend to think that if it's a long-established band and I don't even know them, odds are I *have* heard them and just wasn't interested. I think the only time I recanted was for Threshold - people talked about them so much in the ytsejam days when Psychedelicatessen was out, and I hated it - the singing drove me right off. Never listened to them again until almost fifteen years later; I gave them a chance again, and turns out that I loved them .... except for Psychedelicatessen (and Wounded Land), which I STILL hate. :lol:

I freely admit to snobbery, though, and it's no reflection on Glenn as a promoter, because I know full well my tastes ain't in line with the majority.

. I can remember you actively promoting Raintime and Circus Maximus before you announced their appearance at PP. One out of two ain't bad. ;)

I think your memory *may* be out of sync.

Actually, Glenn didnt promote either band before the announcement. With Circus Maximus, that's exactly why he had said "One band 95% of you have *never* heard of before." Had he been promoting the band before the announcement, common sense tells me a lot of people would have at least checked them out.

As for Raintime, they were announced almost a year in advance simply because Glenn had loved their second release, Flies and Lies I believe. Before that, I never saw any posts or mention of Raintime by Glenn.

As for Raintime, they were announced almost a year in advance simply because Glenn had loved their second release, Flies and Lies I believe. Before that, I never saw any posts or mention of Raintime by Glenn.

If I remember what Glenn said when he brought in Raintime, he mentioned that he was so into their CD that he started throwing the horns at the cat, and his cat looked at him as if he lost his mind. :lol:

If I remember what Glenn said when he brought in Raintime, he mentioned that he was so into their CD that he started throwing the horns at the cat, and his cat looked at him as if he lost his mind. :lol:

:lol: I remember that too. I still can't help but to picture that in my mind.

However, that was still the first time I had heard Glenn mention Raintime.

Well, now I'm confused. I thought that a band had to have a recent release to be considered, and therefore would be embraced by the masses. Nocturnal Rites - love 'em but, shit, when was their last release/tour? Looking at this roster, that stipulation is out the window. Not saying that that's what I want to see, just wanting to know what the hell is the criteria for this forum? This lineup is MONSTER. Look at the release schedule. There's a lot of back catalog for people to bend their ears to before they say this line up is not worthy. Isn't that want ProgPower is about? Introduce yourselves.

I've noticed the increase in people who say they don't like the next given year's lineup as well, and the majority of those people cite the reason for their distaste as not knowing most of the bands. To those folks, I say: what were the bands that you hold on a pedastal doing before you put them on that pedastal? Here's the answer: wading in an ocean of obscurity. Since you've discovered these bands, they now merely wade in a sea of obscurity.

This is why Glenn points out the decline in repeat customers from the early days of ProgPower. A lot of people seem to reach an age when they no longer want to actively pursue the discovery of music unheard by them. I promised myself that I would never be that type of person. So far, I have been to every ProgPower. I don't see that trend changing anytime soon. I may only be interested in seven of the twelve bands playing next year, but 58% is a much higher percentage than what I'd calculate at any other festival in this world. Besides, the law of averages shows that I can expect more bands along the lines of my personal tastes to be announced for the Wednesday and Thursday shows. This is why I continue to support the fest, and this is why I tell any and all of my friends and acquaintances who listen to melodic metal about it.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I guess I got under your skin. :devil:
Mosquito bites are indeed a minor irritation, but an irritation nonetheless. :D

Actually I never used the term "new" bands.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/bar-fest/625573-barfest-opportunity.html

Instead I mentioned "unknown" , "obscure", "lack of buzz" as indicated by the lack of discussion on this board, the PM:X and the audience at PPXI.

I can understand that. The festival was built around those parts 10 years ago. However, I find it odd that you reference the PM:X board for prog or power when the focus of that forum has shifted dramatically over the past few years.

But obviously I have been hiding under a rock since the 2011 lineup bands have been around for many years.

I wouldn't say that at all. You know what you like and don't dip your feet outside of your comfort zone without a reference. However, I do find it odd how a band like Voyager or Red Circuit that have been discussed in detail on those very forums you referenced, not to mention the original Perpetual Motion Forum that Larry runs now.

And as for bands with one or no albums, not a problem. I can remember you actively promoting Raintime and Circus Maximus before you announced their appearance at PP. One out of two ain't bad. ;) I am just saying you need to clue more us in about your favorites before announcing them at PP. Then maybe we won't be shocked by the line up.

Actually, I have intentionally avoided discussing most bands that are even on my serious consideration list to avoid what you want. I want the surprise to be there to a certain extent. There is a full year to explore and discover the bands that you do not know. I'll ask the same question about the roster perception in six months and see what the feedback is once folks realize that the roster is diverse, but not truly that different from any other year save the headline type bands.

I suspect as a concert promoter you have many inside leads (and free CDs) to share with the PP community. At least your opinions of them.

I could post a ton of thoughts on a very frequent basis. However, between responding to questions, battling perceptions, doing promotion, and working on the festival itself, I just don't have the time nor the inclination. However, I do post on those bands that I feel strongly about. The "guess the roster" thread had people including those bands in the roster frequently. Kingcrow is a prime example. They released the album of the year thus far.

And by the way, I didn't say I wasn't going to PPXII. I've already been told by a good friend that regardless of the bands, I will be attending. But thanks for taking the time to discuss and I hope I didn't ruin your time off. :wave:

I appreciate the support. You didn't ruin anything for me. However, it's my job as a promoter to battle negative perception, especially when I feel it's totally off-base.

I actually love to have a year's time to "discover" the bands I may not be that familiar with. It's better than being told a month before or whatnot. A year should be plenty of time. It takes a fucking year to plan a wedding. Learning a few bands in year shouldn't be an issue.