New Canadian fees will cripple the genre

It's not the end of the world. There's ways to work around the fees, legally.

(and by the way, I signed the petition, shared it with dozens of people and don't support the raise of those fees/taxes at all)

Really? Then tell about these ways to all Canadian promoters so the tours continue here...

Since the news broke out, I spoke to three promoters in Canada about the story. They all told me the same thing. I'm not going to get into specifics, but this will not affect every promoter in Canada.

One more thing... the article doesn't address the fact that American bands won't have to be subject to the LMO fees if they're registered with the American Federation of Musicians.

Since the news broke out, I spoke to three promoters in Canada about the story. They all told me the same thing. I'm not going to get into specifics, but this will not affect every promoter in Canada.

One more thing... the article doesn't address the fact that American bands won't have to be subject to the LMO fees if they're registered with the American Federation of Musicians.

This is good news.

So, are all "small" American bands (I mean the kind of bands discussed over here) registered with this American Federation of Musicians?

What about the international bands? They're the one who'll be affected by the stupid new fees?

This is good news.

So, are all "small" American bands (I mean the kind of bands discussed over here) registered with this American Federation of Musicians?

What about the international bands? They're the one who'll be affected by the stupid new fees?

Not sure if all American bands are, but it's a wise thing to do.

Also, as for international bands, it'll depend on how the promoter approaches booking. I can't go into that much detail on the forum, but find me in Atlanta and I'll be happy to explain. :)

Also, some of the clubs up there are just plainly exempt from certain parts of the taxable code. Basically most of the smaller venues won't really need to do much besides send a letter saying that the club is exempt (as long as they fall into code).

Deff helps the little guys, but when you are a middle to a top guy, at the big places, I'm sure a whole lot-a extra money, stress and frustration will just be caused now :(

The AFM paperwork is almost an inch thick for a 6 piece to go in!! lol

follow-up:

Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION

Removal of 'tour tax' for foreign artists applauded
Posted: 06/24/2014 2:27 PM

A federal immigration regulation, dubbed a "tour tax" by small concert venues opposing the rule that targeted foreign musicians and roadies, has been wiped off the books.

Included within reforms that Jason Kenney, the employment minister, and Chris Alexander, the immigration minister, have announced the removal of a work permit requirement for certain foreign artists who perform in bars and restaurants.

In a federal bulletin, the change was made to provide "consistent treatment to foreign artists, regardless of venue type."
Previously, foreign artists who wanted to perform in bars or restaurants required a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), which cost operators and promoters money and time to provide, and prevented some acts from performing in certain venues.
The LMIA is no longer required, the federal bulletin says.

The regulation caused Hugh Cornwell, the Stranglers’ former lead singer, to scratch a planned October 2014 tour stop.
Music Canada, the Canadian Independent Music Association, the Canadian Council of Music Industry Associations and the Canadian Arts Presenting Association applauded the change in a press release on Tuesday. They say the decision will "dramatically improve the landscape for much of the live music community in Canada."

The groups opposed the old rule because they said preventing foreign bands from performing in small venues would threaten venues’ existence and, in turn, provide fewer performing opportunities for Canadian artists.