New Dionysus and Power Quest

Nov 12, 2002
www.metalasylum.net
Just picked up Dionysus "Anima Mudi" and "Neverworld" by Power Quest.
Dionysus is a mix of Edguy, Manowar, and Symphony X, even some Yngwie Malmsteen guitars. Very familiar arrangements for the genre and great hooks. Not very different from their peers but have a quality that makes them stand out for me.
Power Quest remind me of TNT a bit, vocals and the chorus' have that 80's melodic metal feel. They also throw in some Power Metal elements but not too heavy with it.
Look for full reviews of both cd's at www.thatssometal.com .

Both these bands would be perfect for Prog Power and I would like to see them both get some more exposure.

I think the new Power Quest is horrible compared to their first effort. They seemed to have changed their style a bit amd have now taken more of a hard rock approach. Maybe I need to give it a few more listens...

I have not heard the new Power Quest yet. I did however pick up the new Dionysus and I am blown away beyond belief. It was my first time hearing these guys and they are just killer. To me they are like Edguy meets Stratovarius with some fun Helloween melody thrown in for good measures. I love these guys and will be on the look for their first album "Sign Of Truth" now. I hope they are a consideration for next years ProgPower.

GraveDigger: Actually I have Dionysus' first album, and I think it is great! After reading your post, I'm looking forward to picking up their new release. Thanks for the info.

I agree...I've been saying it for 2 years...I really think Dionysus needs consideration for ProgPower...

Hell, Tobias Sammet Co-produced Dionysus's first album (That's saying something)

I think the first album was better then the second, but the second is still awesome. Great melodies, Olaf Hayer rules singing, catchy choruses, and great solo's. Nothing really new here, but these guys show what power metal should be.

Concerning Power Quest: I like the 2nd release, probably more then the first. The first was straight up typical power metal...had some highlights like "Far Away", but had some others that just didn't stick in your head.

The second release definatly sounds more like 80's metal (Especially track 3), but I think it's a nice change of pace. They would be a cool band too...but I don't see the PP crowd liking them as much as other bands, since they're music is very very happy and keyboard oriented - there's not really any big guitar heavy song on either album (Not saying that's bad)

Overall, I like them both, and really really hope Dionysus make it to ProgPower...Their debut was just incredible...and the second lived up but the songs weren't as strong IMO

Nightmare1z said:
I think the first album was better then the second, but the second is still awesome. Great melodies, Olaf Hayer rules singing, catchy choruses, and great solo's. Nothing really new here, but these guys show what power metal should be.
Agreed. Anyone notice how they used Viggo Mortensen's face on the cover for the new album (portraying the King)? :tickled:

Concerning Power Quest: I like the 2nd release, probably more then the first. The first was straight up typical power metal...had some highlights like "Far Away", but had some others that just didn't stick in your head.
Agreed again - I think the new one is better. They have a real drummer now, and there is definitely a leaning towards more "rock" patterns as opposed to typical power metal "drum machine double kick drum" throughout each song. I like the variety in the new one.

More than anything, Andrea Martongelli's guitar solos are exceptional - a real highlight to the album.

'Anima Mundi' is, hands down, one of the best metal releases of 2004 to date. Olaf Hayer is simply incredible, the band is tighter than tight, and the arrangements are killer. Great disc and deserving of a place in any metal fan's collection.