New Journey vocalist? *wow*

"Wow" is right.

Steve Perry is my all-time favorite vocalist. To my ears, his voice was perfect.

This Arnel Pineda guy is extremely good. His rendition of "Faithfully" is right on the money.

I'd love to see Steve back in Journey, and one last tour. Until that happens, this guy could give the band a shot in the arm -- at least on record. It remains to be seen if he's the dynamic, lady-killing front man that Perry was on stage.

This guy sounds like he has a fantastic voice, no doubt. With that said, JSS is a god of a vocalist, so I'm having a hard time getting past the fact that he's already gone. :erk: I hold JSS in such high regard as well as Journey, so I was crushed when I heard about Jeff's departure (pardon the pun) and I haven't really recovered. :erk:

~Brian~

So I played the video and then opened up another window on top of it so I couldn't see it. If I didn't already know going in it wasn't Perry I would have been unable to tell the difference between this and it being vintage Journey (well, except the fact that the backing musicians weren't up to the same caliber as the singer.)

This guy is a dead-ringer (vocally) for Perry and although I would prefer to have Steve back just 'cuz I never got to see Journey in their prime, if that is impossible, then I say give the gig to Arnel!

They wanted to Perry clone.

And therein lies the problem...for me. JSS could sing the Perry era songs without sounding like a Perry clone/rip-off. The fact that he is also a great songwriter had me psyched for the future with Journey. They had a chance to write some really interesting, fresh, vital music again.

I'm not knocking this guy or Augeri, but there is only one Steve Perry and to try to recapture that in a sound alike is not very exciting...at least not for me.

And therein lies the problem...for me. JSS could sing the Perry era songs without sounding like a Perry clone/rip-off. The fact that he is also a great songwriter had me psyched for the future with Journey. They had a chance to write some really interesting, fresh, vital music again.

Just my two cents here...I think Neil and the gang's creative fire is gone and they are just content to make money touring and selling tickets at $100+ a shot like so many classic rock bands these days. They know they're never going to recapture that magic of their heyday, so why write anything new if they can't top the classics and know anything new will never sell like the old material. The old material is the standard any new material is going to be measured against. And given this country's sad taste in music, that standard will never be topped in terms of commercial success.

Writing music is spiritual experience that reflects everything about the songwriter's life at that exact point in time. The world around the classic 80s rock songwriter is so different now than it was 20 years ago...personal circumstances, attitudes, feelings, relationships, war, finances, children, commercial radio, etc., that it is impossible for them to feel and write the way they did two decades earlier.

The people who grew up with Journey in the 80s don't want to go to a show in which the vocalist isn't a dead-ringer for Steve Perry, no matter how good he his or how good a songwriter he is. The fans are going to be standing so far away from the stands, that it doesn't matter who the guy is signing, as long as he sounds as much like Steve Perry as possible. And those who are up front can just close their eyes and relive the magic they felt two decades ago. Reliving the magic is what people want from Journey and is what they are willing to pay for.

The people who grew up with Journey in the 80s don't want to go to a show in which the vocalist isn't a dead-ringer for Steve Perry, no matter how good he his or how good a songwriter he is. The fans are going to be standing so far away from the stands, that it doesn't matter who the guy is signing, as long as he sounds as much like Steve Perry as possible. And those who are up front can just close their eyes and relive the magic they felt two decades ago. Reliving the magic is what people want from Journey and is what they are willing to pay for.

Disagree here. All reports, from press/media and fans, on the shows with JSS were nothing short of absolute rave reviews. There seemed to be a renewed interest/excitement around this band that hadn't been there for some time. My opinion, Neil & Jonathon screwed the pooch on this one...only time will tell.

He is an excellent clone.
It's too bad his band, specifically his guitar player butchered Faithfully.
He had trouble with the ending high notes and came off a little screechy for my taste.

I think I must be the only one that actually misses Steve Augieri. He was fantastic for Journey, especially on Arrival. Oh well, there's always the rumored Tall Stories II.

Disagree here. All reports, from press/media and fans, on the shows with JSS were nothing short of absolute rave reviews. There seemed to be a renewed interest/excitement around this band that hadn't been there for some time.

Rave media and press reviews don't guarantee projected ticket sales. Perhaps the band thought they should be generating more ticket sales than they were. Of course, they'd sell more tickets with Steve Perry than anyone else. Whatever the reason, best of luck to JSS.

I think this guy could make the transition to Journey with no problem. Great voice, has a sense of control while singing.

I was more shocked when I read the article about the racist comments. That is really sad. Most of all, I guess these racist fans have no clue that Neil Schon got his experience playing with Santana early on. Not to mention, Steve Perry's ethnic background I believe is part Portuguese. Man people are stupid. Only further perpetuates the stereotype of "dumb rock fan".

I did like how the article showed the parallel to the movie, Rock Star (ha ha).