New Journey vocalist? *wow*

I think this guy could make the transition to Journey with no problem. Great voice, has a sense of control while singing.

I was more shocked when I read the article about the racist comments. That is really sad. Most of all, I guess these racist fans have no clue that Neil Schon got his experience playing with Santana early on. Not to mention, Steve Perry's ethnic background I believe is part Portuguese. Man people are stupid. Only further perpetuates the stereotype of "dumb rock fan".

I did like how the article showed the parallel to the movie, Rock Star (ha ha).

Keep reading the article. There was nothing racist about the Journey fans' comments. Someone posted 2-3 very lengthy rebuttals to the article, detailing why fans were shocked by the Filipino guy. Not because of his ethnicity, but because of the revolving door in Journey's line-up, with the recently ousted JSS still much loved by fans, and the guy in Frontiers, the Journey tribute band, being a dead-ringer for Perry and the top contender for the open spot on Journey's roster. The Filipino guy came out of nowhere, while fans were still reeling, but nearly all of them seem to love his voice.

Nothing racist going on.

And therein lies the problem...for me. JSS could sing the Perry era songs without sounding like a Perry clone/rip-off. The fact that he is also a great songwriter had me psyched for the future with Journey. They had a chance to write some really interesting, fresh, vital music again.

I'm not knocking this guy or Augeri, but there is only one Steve Perry and to try to recapture that in a sound alike is not very exciting...at least not for me.

Whisper, I couldn't agree with you anymore about this. It's like Tuomas said about a Tarja replacement, it would be lame to get someone that sounds exactly like her. You and I both agree that JSS is a first class, grade A vocalist. I feel like Journey made a serious mistake when they allowed him to walk. Lost In Translation was Jeff's audition tape for Journey in my opinion. :erk:

~Brian~

Rave media and press reviews don't guarantee projected ticket sales. Perhaps the band thought they should be generating more ticket sales than they were. Of course, they'd sell more tickets with Steve Perry than anyone else. Whatever the reason, best of luck to JSS.

True enough. I just hope they don't turn into the world's most expensive Journey tribute band.

The fans buying those $60-$100 tickets are the ones who bought Escape and Frontiers when they were released. Those fans want to go to the concert and hear those songs the way they sounded when they bought and fell in love with them, not an interpretation of them. Soto is a good singer in his own right, but he didn't sound enough like Perry to please the old schoolers.