New Powermad album in the works (and new song posted...)

eppst1

Mar 18, 2002
Ohio
www.eppst1.com
Blabbermouth said:
Technical thrash metallers POWERMAD have secured the percussion talents of Dirk Verbeuren (SOILWORK) for their next full-length album. Dirk is now a permanent member of POWERMAD and is writing material for the CD with Joel DuBay (vocals, guitars), Todd Haug (guitars) and Jeff Litke (bass) in hopes of a late 2011 release.

POWERMAD's upcoming record will be the first in over 20 years, and according to DuBay, POWERMAD is aiming to "deliver on the expectations of cult-like fan base that [has] never left [the band's] musical 'side.'"

POWERMAD released the critically acclaimed album "Absolute Power" in 1989 and then. vanished. In 2007, the band reunited for a show at the Bang Your Head!!! festival in Balingen, Germany and from there decided to write and record its next CD. With some uncertainty about who would take over drum duties, DuBay contacted Verbeuren, and they began writing immediately.

The first taste of Verbeuren's collaboration with POWERMAD can be heard in the newly released single "Souls Descending", which is available for listening and download at the band's official web site. The track was produced by Kevin "131" Gutierrez, and was mixed by Jeff Juliano.

POWERMAD is expected to release bits of other new songs on its web site and Facebook in the coming weeks, with video installments that chart the band's writing progress.

And the new song Souls Descending...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-tA8Rjzcjs&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

I don't know what to think - it seems much "heavier" compared to their old stuff. Maybe it's the production? But I do like it. Interested in hearing more.

I can honestly say that "Absolute Power" is in my top 40 releases of all-time. They were very unique being a technical thrash band that had a vocalist with a euro-powermetal style (back then American powermetal was king ala Metal Church Armored Saint etc.) Most importantly though...... every damned song on the album fucking ripped !!! I can hear the difference in this new song. I haven't heard the whole disc, but just from this song, I can tell you that Joel's voice has changed. He can still belt out the high screams, but his natural singing voice is definitely different. The guitars really don't seem as interesting as before either.
Here is a video of my favorite "classic" Powermad song. One of the least "thrashy" on the disc, but this song is fantastic....

Bryant

Last edited by a moderator: