Next years line-up

TwizstedJesus

Mar 1, 2004
I believe there was a thread where Glenn asked if we had discovered any new stuff since the roster announcement....

Well, my first delivery of PPUSA 2017 band cd's showed up today and I've been listening, trying to give everybody a fair shot before passing judgment. But, something different this year...I plan on spinning them at least 3 or 4 times no matter how much they are or are not grabbing my attention.

Angel Dust...Never been a fan but never really gave them a chance either, so I bought Bleed and Of Human Bondage. I've only briefly scanned each disc. So far so good...I'll spend some time with these cd's, they aren't too bad!

Pain...I do not like Industrial...never have & probably never will. In saying that, I bought You Only Live Twice & Cynic Paradise. First opinion, I could listen to this as background music while doing something else...if only the lyrics weren't so fucking awful! There's a few songs here and there that are ok, so I'll focus on those and hope that Pain plays them next year, similar to how I waited patiently for Clarion Call, Age of Runes and Halls & Chambers with Falconer

Katatonia...another band that never really floats my boat, but the newest cd has a few gems on it, so I will spend some time digging in to some of the older stuff. A few things kinda remind me of Opeth, the old, listenable Opeth, I mean, so...

Power Quest & Twilight Force and next on my list...cheesy power metal gets limited airplay in my house, but I love seeing these type of bands playing live, so I will learn at least some of the material before next year so I can bounce in my seat...

So...what has grabbed you guys so far?

Love Angel Dust, they kicked much ass at PPUSA 2.0 and I am sure they will again, hopefully. My favs next year and have been on heavy rotation for the better par to of this year already is Sunburst, Myrath and Teramaze, those three bands made the fest for me a no brainier but I would still come anyways! I really look forward to Amaranth again, they kicked alot of ass with all the technical difficulties without having their background tracks setup last time and just put on a great show. Still looking froward to the next 4 announcements too,hoping for a big surprise in there!

Bear

Last edited:
The next 4 bands make or break the festival for me...most of the bands so far are just okay as to me looking forward to seeing them. There are a few peppered in here and there. Saturday I may be at the Courtyard by 8PM lol. Amaranthe is something I'll want to see, but Pain & Katatonia are meh to me so far

Katatonia is one of the greatest bands of all time as far as I'm concerned. They have such a large and consistent discography, not sure how anyone can dismiss them as meh.

Of the bands announced I think Distorted Harmony are one that many people are sleeping on. Those guys are legit prog metal superstars in the making, to the point I'm surprised they haven't blown up already in a similar way that Haken has.

The next 4 bands make or break the festival for me...most of the bands so far are just okay as to me looking forward to seeing them. There are a few peppered in here and there. Saturday I may be at the Courtyard by 8PM lol. Amaranthe is something I'll want to see, but Pain & Katatonia are meh to me so far

I really appreciate you taking the time to listen to those bands that didn't excite you and give them a chance. I honestly understand your view completely as one that is more power oriented. This roster was intentionally designed in terms of leaning prog and expanding into more genres (Pain). I fully believe that you have to take some risks in order to prevent stagnation from setting in. I also have a couple of thoughts that may seem a bit controversial.

1. I have booked every big name power metal band that is realistic to book at the present time. Fans scream for bands like Powerwolf & Running Wild every year. There is a reason they haven't been booked. They have no desire to be here. That leaves me repeating myself over and over. The second is that the established "old guard" have no desire to return either. Bands like Gamma Ray, Edguy, Helloween....they don't need the exposure and the allure of playing the States is long gone. You have to catch them booking a tour or throw the bank at them.

2. Traditional power metal is drying up at the headline level. Outside of Sabaton & Powerwolf, there hasn't been any new blood elevated by the fans in years. Thus, we do our best to book the lower level bands with buzz such as Lords of Black &Twilight Force to fill the void.

3. Some of the bigger power metal bands tour a lot more frequently now. Hammerfall just announced a run of U.S. dates. It's hard to excite folks that have the opportunity to see a band in their backyard. I have to sell tickets.

4. A special set like Falconer and Oliva simply don't happen every year.

4. Finally, prog is outdrawing power these days. I always check out the floor for each and every band in the middle of their sets from the lighting booth up top. It gives me an objective view. Bands like Freedom Call and Refuge played fantastic sets to a semi-crowded floor. However, bands like Haken & The Gentle Storm packed the place. I don't buy the fatigue factor either. Devin outdrew Fates.

cheers,

Glenn

Reactions: Mynock and Kez
Of the bands announced I think Distorted Harmony are one that many people are sleeping on. Those guys are legit prog metal superstars in the making, to the point I'm surprised they haven't blown up already in a similar way that Haken has.

I agree. I'm hoping the festival does the same for them as it did for Haken, Circus Maximus, Pagan's Mind, etc. All of those bands took off after appearing in Atlanta.

Reactions: Kez
I've been listening to most of the bands after the Days 3 & 4 announcement,. I already liked Dynazty and Sunburst, but I've found a few new (to me) bands that I've been listening to more than others: Distorted Harmony, Teramaze, Katatonia and Angel Dust to a lesser extent. The more I listen to Katatonia the more I like. Their latest album "Fall of Hearts" is pretty darn good along with "Last Fair Deal Gone Down". Like Glenn my tastes tend to be more power than prog, but the more I listen to the lineup the more I like it. I've not heard Portnoy's solo stuff, but am familiar with Dream Theater and since what he will be playing will be stuff he wrote while with Dream Theater I have to expect a Dream Theater type experience. Never seen Dream Theater, but some of their stuff I like and Portnoy live should be really good. Pain could be really interesting. I'll have to give it a little more time to sink in. Anyway, I'm in for the weekend tickets, and with Twilight Force and Serenity in the lineup for days 1 and 2 I'm probably in for those days too. I'll have to listen to Orphaned Land... Really is lining up to be another sellout IMO.

Last edited:
I've been wanting to go to ProgPower since 2008 (and i've been on this forum for a while, though not too active in recent years) but either due to lack of money or "waiting for the perfect lineup" I haven't gone. This year I decided that if I don't "just go" next year, then i'll never go. That said, this lineup is overall the strongest i've seen in a long time, so I definitely picked a good year. Come hell or high water, I will NOT miss ProgPower 2017!

Serenity is the biggest draw for me. I've known about them since War of Ages, but never got around to giving them a serious listen until the announcement. War of Ages and Codex Atlanticus are both absolutely fantastic and I can already see myself losing my shit during their set.

Of the bands on the lineup, right now i'm most interested in Orphaned Land, Pain, Katatonia (who i was a fan of before the announcement), Mike Portnoy, and Myrath. I got Legacy mainly because of the single Believer and the rave reviews I heard. It's not really sticking with me yet, maybe after a few more listens. I'm also an Amaranthe fan, but i've already seen them live 3 times. Between that and That Song, i'm unsure about whether i'll stick around for their set or not.

Teramaze and Lords of Black were the two that immediately sparked my interest after hearing the roster announcement. I have received both HER HALO and LORDS OF BLACK II about two weeks ago. HER HALO is a masterpiece and Teramaze is now my most anticipated band to see, The LOB CD is growing on me... absolutely love the vocals but some of the songs are a little too formulated for me...but it's growing on me.

The next two on my list to check out our Sunburst and Distorted Harmony...both bands sound very intriguing to me!

Love Angel Dust and so happy the hell has frozen over... When Bleed came over the speakers it sent chills up my spine!!!
Can't wait to see Dynazty, they will own the place!
I have confidence that Portnoy will bring an incredible band with him and will not disappoint.
Was SOOOO happy to see the incredibly talented Snowy Shaw announced...his set will be the most fun and entertaining!!!
While I like elements of Amaranthe their songs are a bit too formulated for me, not enough diversity in their song structure. However, I enjoyed the hell out of their set a few years ago and I am hearing good things about their new CD so I will check that out.
I missed Myrath's set last time they played and I heard they were great, so I need to dig into their catalog a bit more than I have.
Pain didn't do much for me on first listen but I have plenty of time to check out more of their stuff... I do like the diversity of this style of band on the lineup...keeps things fresh.
Katatonia hasn't done anything for me yet and I doubt they will.

Over all as much as I loved last years roster this one from top to bottom is a bit stronger for my personal tastes.

Looking forward to the rest of the roster announcement for day 1 & 2!!!

I think Portnoy will put on a great set. I have had my problems over the years with some of the ways Mike has conducted himself online etc. But I think what has never been in dispute is that he has always been a fans-first guy. I have little doubt he will do his best to put on an amazing set that will give fans their money's worth and likely to have some surprises.

I

Serenity is the biggest draw for me. I've known about them since War of Ages, but never got around to giving them a serious listen until the announcement. War of Ages and Codex Atlanticus are both absolutely fantastic and I can already see myself losing my shit during their set.

I am excited to see Serenity since they were so great last time. But their first two albums will always be my favorite. They had the hooks of Sonata with a bit more of a prog influence. Then they kinda went full-on Kamelot. I still have enjoyed the last few albums, but to me they have kinda come back to the pack some and are just another one of those bands. But like I said, they were so amazing live last time, I bet they will be great this time too.

I threw out the Kevin Moore idea to some friends, but more as a joke than anything else, as in: If anybody could bring Kev back, it might just be Glenn Harveston.
We can hope, but I certainly don't think it's worth entertaining as a real possibility.
If it DOES happen, AND they play ACoS, then I'd be a pretty happy camper!

What if he brings in LaBrie and Matt Guillory? Now THAT would be something, eh? ;)

Angel Dust...Never been a fan but never really gave them a chance either, so I bought Bleed and Of Human Bondage. I've only briefly scanned each disc. So far so good...I'll spend some time with these cd's, they aren't too bad!

So...what has grabbed you guys so far?

Dude, Enlighten the Darkness is Angel Dust best and most consistent record. That's the one you should go for...

I'm really curious to see who Portnoy will bring with him. Any predictions on his lineup? I'm thinking we may see Kevin Moore or Derek Sherinian. And, I'm hoping to hear "The Mirror" and "Change of Seasons" along with the "12 Step Suite". Those two songs are two of the earlier songs Portnoy wrote for DT and would be fantastic live.

Kevin would never do it, not even the slightest of possibilities. I would be surprised if Derek isn't on keys.

I just put Haken's Visions back on. It never hit me the way The Mountain did. I don't hate any of their stuff, but I'm not in love either.

I am a huge Angel Dust fanboy, so that is my most anticipated act.

Love Amaranthe, saw them last time, looking forward to another set.

Seen Dream Theater several times, so that headliner is the best of the three announced for me so far.

Katatonia is new for me, and it's just ok. Kind of like Haken. I'm more power than prog, so that makes sense. I am really liking Pain. I was a Nine Inch Nails fan back in the 90's, so this is good stuff for me (anyone remember Shotgun Messiah doing Violent New Breed?).

I'm trying all the new stuff. Having said I prefer Power, so far Teramze Her Halo is AMAZING. Loving the heck out of it.

Loving Titanic Mass from Dynazty. Damn that's good stuff.

Lords of Black are good, but it hasn't clicked fully yet. Great vocals though!

Friggen Sunburst is Friggen like Kamelot from the Epica days for me. Me like.

Myrath....hmm. I did not like Tales of the Sands, but Desert Call is really good. I'm trying to figure out what the difference is. Kind of like me preferring Mountain to Visions with Haken. I really don't know why.

Snowy Shaw is really NOT my thing vocally.....but I really think he's going to put on a great show. My fingers are crossed on that.

Angel Dust. Seriously. What more needs to be said? I get that some people won't like it. Good on them, at least give it a few spins like most of us try to do. The newer crowd might not. Holy crap, ANGEL DUST WILL BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no way this isn't selling out first day!

Reactions: Kez
Myrath....hmm. I did not like Tales of the Sands, but Desert Call is really good. I'm trying to figure out what the difference is. Kind of like me preferring Mountain to Visions with Haken. I really don't know why.

Tales of the Sands is a very "modern" sounding album, with a lot of downtuned or groovy riffs, straight structures, and trappings like "Go!", sirens, rhythmic breathing, and a couple of growling parts. To this day I still think the modern metal aesthetic sounds a little too forced, although I like the album way better than I did on my first listen. I find myself listening to it less often than the rest, but most of the songs are fantastic.

I never question Glenn. He has booked some amazing bands over the years and even though I am biased in my opinions sometimes, I try to give the benefit of the doubt. Even though I hated Falconer previous to seeing them, I stayed from start to finish and did enjoy a lot of the set. Some bands just don't do it for me. I know we all feel the same, but I stay in and check out every band, every day. This year the only miss to me was Refuge, but then, I bailed out on Rage too.
2016 it seemed that the pacing was better for all 4 days. There were no drag ass days and I felt good throughout. I was thinking there were going to be some bad things happening with 4 full days but it didn't come to pass

Tales of the Sands is a very "modern" sounding album, with a lot of downtuned or groovy riffs, straight structures, and trappings like "Go!", sirens, rhythmic breathing, and a couple of growling parts. To this day I still think the modern metal aesthetic sounds a little too forced, although I like the album way better than I did on my first listen. I find myself listening to it less often than the rest, but most of the songs are fantastic.

I can see what you're saying, TotS does have this slick modern metal feel to it. Overall I like both albums a lot, giving the nod to Desert Call. I love some of the more epic songs on DC, that they kinda traded away for the shorter poppier songs. My only problem with DC is that you still hear the Symphony X influence very heavily, There is one song where they basically recycle the riff from King of Terrors and a couple less obvious nods throughout. But that is fairly nitpicky since I very much enjoy their last three albums.

I honestly think anyone who walks out of Katatonia without giving them a shot is going to be reading about one of the most amazing sets ever put on at progpower, and certainly the show stopping set of the weekend.

inb4 "closing saturday of course show stopping" jokes.