Night 1 - Bay Area Rock Fest II

Bear

Got Shred??
Feb 6, 2002
Canton, Georgia
Well wasn't that a blast. An incredible performance from all the bands last night. I will elaborate more when I get some time later next week on the whole fest. Just sending a shout out today to our awesome crew. Everyone worked so tirelessly and tight to make everything run on time and we get a few extra songs here and there from all the bands. Thank you to the fans that rocked the place as well, it was a big time step up from Friday last year in all regards!!

Concerto Moon, they guys are awesome and what a bunch of great performers and totally professional and easy to work with great guys. Rocket Scientists with Lana Lane, my pleasant surprise of the evening. How cool are these guys, so down to earth and easy to work with, a total pleasure. Hates off to Mr Erik Norlander for being the coolest cat on the planet...

My friends in Enchant and Doug Ott specifically, I want to thank you for not only being so cool but being gracious and accommodating in regards to stage setup, it was so much appreciated and made the night go some smooth and with an awesome commanding performance once again.

JSS and Friends!! That was pretty great as well, it was awesome to see Daven Meneketti Phil Kennemore and Eric Martin come out to take part of the festivities, totally freaking awesome. and to JSS, he is one great front man and has a great stage presence a great show all the way around!!!

Thank you to all the people who chipped in and helped make the day and evening go totally smooth and fun. Greg P, Leah B, Alina H, Keith S, Scott, Taylor, Jax and Daffodil, ya'll rock!!!

Off to round two in a few hours to a SOLD OUT BARFEST II Saturday LTE show. So looking forward to seeing one of the best Prog Metal lineups ever put on stage in one evening and you can quote me on that...

Bear

HOLY HELL, that was a fun night (and day)!!! Oh yes, and that's not even mentioning Thursday, either. LOL I'm absolutely worn out already, but duuuuuuuuuuude... the sets were INSANE!

*does a happy bounce*

Every single band was great in their own ways, and it was very cool to see a diverse mix of music last night. And of course you KNOW I have to mention how damned happy I was at the Concerto Moon set - WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! *insert happy dance* Even though I've been a fan of them since 1999, their energy and preciseness on stage was way, way, way over my expectations. WOW, that's the only word that even comes close to explaining it! Concerto Moon ongaku wa totemo ii desu ne!!! hehe

I was also pleasantly surprised by Rocket Scientists - I had not heard them, but knew Lana Lane and Erik beforehand, so was quite interested to see what they would do. A great, great bunch of musicians! I think the funniest thing ever, though, was when Erik said, "I know how to say rock n' roll in Japanese now - it's CONCERTO MOON!". That was so funny I had to go tell the CM guys, which made them very surprised and happy. =)

Enchant sounded incredible and I was really happy with their set. It was good to see all the people that came out to support them and I think they fed off the energy from the audience. It's always great to see something like that because then the band realizes how much they are appreciated. ;)

JSS - what can I say. He could sing the damned phonebook and I'd be happy. LOL He has such a great backing band and I love to see how tight they all perform together. It's nice to see a band every once in a while that can also put on a "show" instead of basically standing in place. They are such a high-energy bunch of performers and I must say, the harmonies and everything were just off the hook! WOW I also like the fact that these guys will play pretty much anything and are not afraid to show the different sides to their talents and sound (aka going off into reggae or Seal or Stayin' Alive, etc). It catches people off guard, but at the same time, reels them in to moving and singing along. Hats off to Eric Martin, who still manages to sound (and LOOK!) like he did 20 years ago. I have seen him probably 30+ times and I am never disappointed. He is also one of the very few guys I know that is at least as hyper as I am! lol When Dave and Phil came out at the end, it reallllly put a major highlight to the whole night. Not just because of how crazy talented they are, but also to see how genuinely happy it made Jeff and the band, as well as the entire audience. I looked all around me, and all I saw were smiling faces rocking out to the music. Great way to end the show. The only thing I wish I had been able to do is get the setlists like always. So, if people want the setlists, all I can do this time is tell you some of the songs I remembered. DOH

MAJOR kudos to Dave, Bear, Eric, Scott, etc. for putting this together and working their asses off to get it going in the first place! I can't wait until tonight, although I'm a bit apprehensive to how squishy it's going to be in the venue. *crosses fingers to getting a good spot to do photos from* BRING IT ON! \m/ \m/

I'm glad to hear that it sold out. I had planned on going, and in fact, my gf was already up in SF for the weekend so it was working out perfect. Then this BS called work got in the way. Really sorry I missed last night. The CM and Rocket Scientists was probably my main draw for the show. Have fun tonight!

Great festival (first time attending), excellent performances. Early returns:

BARfest2008preview12.jpg
BARfest2008preview9.jpg
BARfest2008preview6.jpg

BARfest2008preview3.jpg
BARfest2008preview10.jpg
BARfest2008preview1.jpg
BARfest2008preview4.jpg

Thanks for early report of Day 1 BEAR!
And for the photos as well Esa.

Helps make unexpectedly not being there with y'all this year a bit less of a bummer...:( Sounds like everything kicked ass. I'm sure Saturday is gonna bring it up another notch! :headbang:

Wondering if there will be any audio or video to help fill the void...:heh:

Well, if you hadn't stopped enjoying the brew BEAR, I'd ask you to raise a glass for me :kickass:, so raise an extra :headbang: for me tonight!

Cheers!

anyone have the setlist for JSS? wish i could have made it :( But gas prices are brutal now and its like a 4 hour drive.

Sometimes you just have to try and make things work out if you want them :headbang:

Here is JSS's setlist

Mysterious
Soul Divine
21st Century
Drowning/Drum Solo
Stand Up (hehehehe, went to a concert and a movie broke out)
New Position
Colour My XTC
Broken Man
Livin The Life
Daddy, Brother,Lover, Little Boy w/ Eric Martin
Hey/Crazy
Eyes of Love
I'll Be Waiting
I'll See the Light Tonight/I Am a Viking Medley

Encore Open Fire & Mean Streak w Dave Meniketti * Phill Kennemore from Y&T
Funky

Great show all the way around!!!!