Now Reading...

Just finished -- Hellbox by Bill Pronzini (latest Nameless Detective novel)

Just started -- Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone...never read them, thought I would give them a shot.

51Ei3-XTmiL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

18BOOK-articleInline.jpg

I haven't read a Grisham book in over a decade. However, the description along with some stellar reviews on the twisting plot from critics lured me back. I cracked it open and....BAM....first person narrative.

Fuck.

However, I developed a great coping mechanism. The main character is of course a brilliant lawyer who is in prison. It just so happens that he is black. Thus, Morgan Freeman from Shawshank is narrating the novel for me in my head.

18BOOK-articleInline.jpg

I haven't read a Grisham book in over a decade. However, the description along with some stellar reviews on the twisting plot from critics lured me back. I cracked it open and....BAM....first person narrative.

Fuck.

However, I developed a great coping mechanism. The main character is of course a brilliant lawyer who is in prison. It just so happens that he is black. Thus, Morgan Freeman from Shawshank is narrating the novel for me in my head.

:lol::lol:
to me it's totally freaking hilarious that you hate first-person so much
because you really only actually NEED to have Omniscient 3rd person for epic-world-building things like Frank Herbert's Dune Series, The Star Wars Expanded Universe, Star Trek Novels, Tolkien's Middle Earth, and Large-Ensemble-Cast things like CSI Novels

i personnally love 1st person, i love Anita Blake, Anne Rice's Vampires, Rachel Morgan, Sookie Stackhouse, Katniss Everdeen

and now to be on-topic,
thinking about reading this series
http://www.goodreads.com/series/49942-zachary-nixon-johnson

51Omgf4bBkL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I've heard this billed as an adult's Harry Potter. I'm only about a hundred or so pages into it, and I'm underwhelmed.

51cga9q7zFL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-69,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

A friend of mine recommended this to me, saying "Don't read any descriptions of this, just read it. Trust me, you'll love it". And he was right. Unless it completely falls apart at the end, this is one of the best SF novels I've read in years.

dt