Now Reading...

Book 1 appears to be a 700 page "Game of Thrones" wannabee novel. Fine with me. I figure that I'll be able to finish the entire trilogy (despite the next two books having not been written yet) before the "The Winds of Winter" even sees an editor.

21010919.jpg

Snuff was amazing - I'm glad Terry Pratchett is continuing to work so hard to put out great books, despite his condition's progress.

9781497607316.225x225-75.jpg

I usually think pretty highly of Greg Bear, but I'm 12% into the book and it hasn't really grabbed me yet.

Currently in brain candy mode. Just finished "Top Secret Twenty One" from Janet Evanovich, and starting "Dave Barry Turns 50".

Light reading ... I just started Shirer's Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

Well, crap. Who wants to go next after that? :oops: I'll take one for the team and admit that I finished my Dave Barry book and am now on to "The Grand Illusion: Love, Lies, and my Life with Styx" by Chuck Panozzo.

I recently finished The Kraus Rendition by Tom Pendergrass. It's an entertaining post Cold War CIA novel. Tom and I were fraternity brothers in college. Let's just say he writes about what he knows.

Let us know how you like that one. I may get book that after I'm done reading the one I'm on at the moment. :)

Much of the Chuck Panozzo book was about his personal and family life, where I was expecting more dish on the band. But for someone who was a borderline obsessive Styx fan in the 70s and 80s, it was an interesting read. (OK, yeah, so you can take out the word “borderline”). Now I’ve moved on to “The Grand Delusion: The Unauthorized True Story of Styx” by Sterling Whitaker. So far, that one has a lot more detail about the band, although it’s a little annoying that much of it is cobbled together from quotes from various people. It’s almost like the author was too lazy to take all of his interviews and create a more cohesive narrative. Oh, and the print is freaking minuscule. :mad: Maybe this will be the year I break down and get bifocals...

LOL!

I read Dave Barry Turns 40 and loved it (and I was, I think 19 at the time).. how was Turns 50?

“Turns 50” wasn’t quite what I expected; a lot of it was a year-by-year review of historical events and music that influenced the baby boom generation. Still, the whole book was laugh-out-loud funny. I’ll have to go back and read “Turns 40” - although that milestone is way in my rear-view mirror! :)

Just finished Michael Connelly’s “The Gods of Guilt”, the 5th book in the “Lincoln Lawyer” series. It was an entertaining read, although there was a major event that occurred “off the page” between the end of book 4 and the start of book 5. I scrambled for a while to research whether I’d missed a book or a Kindle single or something that would fill in the backstory - but there isn’t one. Kind of odd.

I accidentally read a book in a series out of order one time, and it kind of ruins it when you go back to pick up the book that you missed, already knowing how things will turn out!