Now Reading...

City of Thieves - David Benioff

Excellent tale! Highly recommended whether you enjoy WWII novels or not, and the absurdity of the situations the characters find themselves in hammer the realities of war home all the more.

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Author and screenwriter Benioff follows up The 25th Hour with this hard-to-put-down novel based on his grandfather's stories about surviving WWII in Russia. Having elected to stay in Leningrad during the siege, 17-year-old Lev Beniov is caught looting a German paratrooper's corpse. The penalty for this infraction (and many others) is execution. But when Colonel Grechko confronts Lev and Kolya, a Russian army deserter also facing execution, he spares them on the condition that they acquire a dozen eggs for the colonel's daughter's wedding cake. Their mission exposes them to the most ghoulish acts of the starved populace and takes them behind enemy lines to the Russian countryside. There, Lev and Kolya take on an even more daring objective: to kill the commander of the local occupying German forces. A wry and sympathetic observer of the devastation around him, Lev is an engaging and self-deprecating narrator who finds unexpected reserves of courage at the crucial moment and forms an unlikely friendship with Kolya, a flamboyant ladies' man who is coolly reckless in the face of danger. Benioff blends tense adventure, a bittersweet coming-of-age and an oddly touching buddy narrative to craft a smart crowd-pleaser.

Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey. A near-total change from her excellent "Kushiel" series, this is a gritty post-apocalyptic tale set in a future that could basically happen next month. I've read about 1/3 into the book so far and it's really good.

Last Watch, by Sergei Lukyanenko. The fourth (and presumably final) entry in the Night Watch series. Great modern-day fantasy set in Moscow; a must read for fans of Neil Gaiman and GRRM.

Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey. A near-total change from her excellent "Kushiel" series, this is a gritty post-apocalyptic tale set in a future that could basically happen next month. I've read about 1/3 into the book so far and it's really good.

This will be my next book. I'm much more interested in this than the new D'Angeline series; the Imriel books left me pretty cold.

Last Watch, by Sergei Lukyanenko. The fourth (and presumably final) entry in the Night Watch series. Great modern-day fantasy set in Moscow; a must read for fans of Neil Gaiman and GRRM.

Really.... I knew about the series, really from the movies (which i've never watched), but never really considered it. I really enjoy Gaiman, so I'll give the first book a read.

I'm about half-way through Neal Stephenson's Anathem. So far, so good! The writing style is a bit more laid back than usual for him. The moments of humor are fewer and farther between, but when they show up, they're great. I considered typing my favorite line so far, but it would be a spoiler, so I won't. Dammit!

The book has a very Gene Wolfe feel to it, although Stephenson tends to let you in on how events are related more often, and in a more direct way, then Wolfe does.

Ken

I finished Santa Olivia. Excellent piece of work, highly recommended.

I concur. I'm about 75% of the way through it now. It's not as good as her Sundering duology, but it's got a cool contemporary fantasy/Wild Cards type angle to it, and of course, well-written characters.

Really.... I knew about the series, really from the movies (which i've never watched), but never really considered it. I really enjoy Gaiman, so I'll give the first book a read.

The movies are great, but the first movie only covers about 1/3 of the first book. The second movie is a completely separate story which borrows some elements from the first book, and the third movie is (supposedly) still in pre-production, completely different from the books and the first two movies, and, from what I understand, not likely to ever see the light of day.

I mention Neil Gaiman because the books follow his convention of a modern-day fantasy world -- in this case, the existence of magicians, vampires, witches, werewolves, and shapeshifters in modern society. I mention GRRM because the books are written with a snarky, cynical realist slant that fans of GRRM will appreciate.

I read John Grisham's "The Appeal" and "Brother Odd" from Dean Koontz while on vacation.

Next up will be one of my bargain bin finds from Barnes & Noble:

Mozart - Marcia Davenport
The Soloist - Steve Lopez (I'm not sure WHY this one was in the bargain bin, but I'm not complaining!)

I really liked "The Blade Itself." Great characters and compelling plot. He never tells you what is going on though. It's not like, "Here's this ring. We need to destroy it to stop the bad guy. Go throw it in the volcano." Instead, he tells you what's happening from all of the characters EXCEPT the guy who knows what's going on. I look forward to the next one.

The Dragon Factory - Jonathan Maberry

I just finished the manuscript for this follow-up to Patient Zero (out now). Both books are in the "kick ass and take names" action technothriller vein with recurring character Joe Ledger (kind of a Jason Bourne of weird situations). Patient Zero had Joe up against a Middle Eastern terrorist group creating a pathogen that turns people into zombies (Islamic Zombies!), and The Dragon Factory had him up against a mad scientist and his genetically altered "children" (complete with volcano hideaway/lab!) who are creating weaponized versions of genetic diseases. Filled with more creatures like genetic mutants and even "real" unicorns, it's non-stop action from beginning to end.

No, it's not literature by any means, but it IS a lot of fun! :lol: The Dragon Factory is due out in Winter 2010.

(wouldya believe this thread had fallen off the front page? Probably a first!)

NR: Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged. I'm actually re-reading it and discovering more the second time around...especially in view of current events and the political climate, which is paralleling the book's plot in a frightening way. (The book has reappeared in the NYT Bestsellers list for that reason, it seems.)

Wow...1000 posts! :headbang: Who says no one reads anymore?

I Am Not a Serial Killer - Dan Wells

Again, not coming out until next year, but this was a lot of fun. Think of it as "Dexter as a teenager running into a problem only Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden could solve."

...or something like that. :lol: