Now Reading...

Just finished reading a purported script for A Game of Thrones (George RR Martin), which was good, but at c. 60 pages had to be incomplete.

Just started reading the new Wheel of Time book The Gathering Storm...really enjoying it so far. One annoying character has already been eliminated. Kinda hoping some other loose ends get wrapped up in time for Tarmon Gaidon. :devil:

n217229.jpg

Just finished reading a purported script for A Game of Thrones (George RR Martin), which was good, but at c. 60 pages had to be incomplete.

Those are great books! About a year ago, I finished the last one he had written. The only trouble with reading a series like this one, which is still in process, is remembering who all the 500 characters in the books are and what they are doing. Thank God he put in a rather large glossary with those or I'd have to read them all over to remember who all got killed (which is damn near everyone).

Those are great books! About a year ago, I finished the last one he had written. The only trouble with reading a series like this one, which is still in process, is remembering who all the 500 characters in the books are and what they are doing. Thank God he put in a rather large glossary with those or I'd have to read them all over to remember who all got killed (which is damn near everyone).

I just go into it assuming all the characters I remember are dead. Saves a lot of time. ;) :lol:

Working on the Wizards anthology with Neil F**king Gaiman, Tad Williams, Peter S Beagle, Garth Nix etc, which I picked up on a Last Chance cart at Books A Million for a buck. Hardcover.

Does anyone know of a more current ETA for Scott Lynch's next book? I remember reading in the little ad blurb at the end of Red Seas Under Red Skies that the third book, The Republic of Thieves, was supposed to be released in Spring of 2009.

And, more importantly, is Scott Lynch turning into the next George R.R. Martin (in the bad sense, as well as the good)?

Finally finished The Final Empire, the first book in the Mistborn trilogy from Brandon Sanderson. I'm a few pages into Well of Ascension (2nd book) now but am looking to the flight to and from Denver to really get going on it. So hard to find time to find time to read now with both school and work.

Finally finished The Final Empire, the first book in the Mistborn trilogy from Brandon Sanderson. I'm a few pages into Well of Ascension (2nd book) now but am looking to the flight to and from Denver to really get going on it. So hard to find time to find time to read now with both school and work.

I was curious about his other work, since it's really hard to tell exactly what Brandon has written in The Gathering Storm: the style is quite similar to Jordan's...although I note that several sub-plots -- and they are legion, as we know :) -- are moving along pretty swiftly...and at least one has been permanently ended.

I was curious about his other work, since it's really hard to tell exactly what Brandon has written in The Gathering Storm: the style is quite similar to Jordan's...although I note that several sub-plots -- and they are legion, as we know :) -- are moving along pretty swiftly...and at least one has been permanently ended.

What Glenn said. Elantris is a great book. I originally thought it was part of his trilogy so I was really disappointed when I found out there wasn't a continuation of that world. I enjoyed Final Empire but it's hard for me to judge it until I get through the entire Misborn trilogy.

Sanderson has a Mistborn series plus some stand-alone novels? Interesting; I'll have to pick some up. Aside from Elantris, which I gather is one of the latter, what others should I hunt down?

There's Elantris, Mistborn trilogy, a young adult series called Alcatraz, and another that he released for free under a creative commons license called Warbreaker which is also now available in stores. The online versions are rough drafts.
He's also working on another book that should be released next year that supposed to be the beginning of a long series.

Mistborn: The Final Empire is apparently the book that led to him getting the job to finish Wheel of Time.

Does anyone know of a more current ETA for Scott Lynch's next book? I remember reading in the little ad blurb at the end of Red Seas Under Red Skies that the third book, The Republic of Thieves, was supposed to be released in Spring of 2009.

And, more importantly, is Scott Lynch turning into the next George R.R. Martin (in the bad sense, as well as the good)?

Scott apparently had some problems but the last I saw Republic was due out next summer. But hey we have Dust of Dreams in January, and Patrick will have the sequel to The Name of the Wind out early '10, so some good things coming soon at least.

Now working on Warchild by Karin Lowachee. Like R Scott Bakker, she's an alumnus of the Del Rey Online Writing Workship who drew some positive attention with her writing, and this was her first published novel. I finally picked it up this afternoon, and I'm only about 1/4 - 1/3 into it, and I'm pretty engrossed so far. It's a science fiction tale of war and piracy in space, the bildungsroman of a kid caught between the world he was raised in and the one into which he was kidnapped, and challenging long-held assumptions by forcing people to experience the situation from the other side.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1591026415/ref=s9_simp_gw_s0_p14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1PVSPYGQ9H2PQJK3QKRV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846"]Before They Are Hanged (The First Law: Book 2) by Joe Abercrombie[/ame]

I'm really impressed with this series so far. It is compelling. I also like that I have no idea who the protagonist is, or if there even is one. He follows many individuals through what is happening. That's the other thing I like; I have no idea what is really happening. There are obvious things going on like a barbarian invasion, a siege, an epic journey, but I don't know why. There's also something else going on that is most likely more important than all of those things, but I know very little about it. It's really fun to read so far.