NWOBHM

Hell Patrol

Nov 20, 2010
Down Under
Would it be possible for you guys to list some cool NWOBHM (Revival stuff is good too; White Wizzard, Zuul, etc.) type bands? I'm talking about the more obscure stuff like Sortilege, Saracen etc.?

I'm posting this here rather than in the Band Recommendations Forum as thr infinite wisdom of the Old School may be more appropriate for this particular search.

Thanks in advance!

Oh man...

Angel Witch
Black Virgin
Ethel The Frog
Saxon
Blitzkrieg
Sledgehammer
Praying Mantis
Tygers of Pan Tang
Cloven Hoof
Elixir
The Handsome Beasts
Witchfinder General
Vardis
Fist
Mythra
Witchfynde
Bitches Sin
Jaguar
Tokyo Blade
Atomkraft
Alien
Black Rose
A-II-Z
Holocaust
Dark Star
Persian Risk
Satan
Tank
Dedringer
Quartz

Would it be possible for you guys to list some cool NWOBHM (Revival stuff is good too; White Wizzard, Zuul, etc.) type bands? I'm talking about the more obscure stuff like Sortilege, Saracen etc.?

I'm posting this here rather than in the Band Recommendations Forum as thr infinite wisdom of the Old School may be more appropriate for this particular search.

Thanks in advance!

Sortilege and White Wizzard aren't NWOBHM as they are simply not British :)

Psychonaut covered the best of them I think ! :headbang:

Thanks guys!

Psychnaut and Poundingmetal74 cool lists loads of stuff I have yet to discover.
Nice work picking up on that carnut, I forgot Sortilege was French, and I didn't know that that White Wizzard wasn't British. :/

My favorites are Trespass, Jaguar, Raven, Tygers Of Pang Tang (with John Sykes), Satan, Holocaust, Vardis (Their debut album "100 MPH" is a classic!) and Aragorn.

You can start with the double album 'New Wave of British Heavy Metal '79 Revisited'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Wave_of_British_Heavy_Metal_'79_Revisited

It is a good introduction to the NWOBHM.

Have fun! There are a lot of good bands to discover.

Angelwitch
Avenger
Grim Reaper
Jaguar
Saxon
Blitzkrieg
Satan/Pariah/Blind Fury
Witchfinder General
Holocaust
Iron Maiden
Diamond Head
Girlschool
Rock Goddess
Satanic Rites
More
Saracen
Venom
Warfare
Tank
Praying Mantis
Quartz
Chariot
Wildfire
Tokyo Blade
Samson
Demon
Tytan
Def Leppard (only first three albums)
Fist
Gaskin
Tygers of Pan Tang
Savage
Witchfynde
Pagan Altar (debatible because of time of first album release)
Sweet Savage (debatible because of time of first album release)

and many more :D

Omega's The Prophet is a great album is you like dark, doom-ish 70's-sounding metal and delete the two terribly unfitting three minute AOR songs. If you don't mind demo recordings, Hell's stuff is pretty out-there, especially for their time. Really weird falsetto vocals, strong Satanic lyrical themes, detailed song-writing... they sound nothing like Mercyful Fate, although I think comparisons can still be made.

Wow. So many great bands. I've only listened to a handful (there is a lot of stuff to get through) but so far I really like Dedringer, Saracen, Tank, Tytan and especially Tokyo Blade. Normally I never listen to anything which is Satanic (lyrically) but Hell isn't too bad at all. Omega is good too but it's a little too doom-y for me.

Oh I forgot Satanic Rites. "Which Way The Wind Blows" is insanely catchy.

And luckily it has just been reissued on CD format :D. I awaiting my copy, bought it on eBay.

Some more bands (some already mentioned) that I have listened to but I don't have the CDs:

Battleaxe
Chateaux
Denigh
Ethel The Frog
Gogmagog
Limelight
Raven
Trespass
Stampede

Love Raven, Saxon, Angel Witch, Maiden...and you know what??

The first Def Leppard album On Through The Night. Say what you will about their later work but that first album is still a NWOBHM monster!

There were alot of other bands around the same time that fell in the NWOBHM category but were not british...like Exciter, Anvil, Accept and all that.

Tygers Of Pan Tang is another good band now that I'm thinking about it.

Thanks in advance!

If you are looking for bands that have that sound I would suggest; Preatorius, Viper (US), Eidow (US), Stone Crusher, man this list could go on for a while.
As for actually NWOBHM bands well I guess many have already been listed.