Opeth - Heritage : opinions

SkeletonWitch

Morphine Child
May 30, 2010
Beirut, Lebanon
The album is already leaked.

I have to say that The Devil's Orchard was very misleading, and thankfully that godawful song isn't representative of what the album sounds like.

Overall, it's some really tight shite. The two tracks that don't belong to this album would be The Devil's Orchard and Slither, otherwise, it's one fuck of a prog rock album. I was kind of positively surprised when hearing 'dem Martin Axenrot and Mendez cranking those sick proggy/jazzy rhythms.

There's some relatively heavy parts which were probably designed to make live shows less boring for metalheads, but where this album shines is the calm, trippy parts.

I'd give the album 9/10 ... would've gave it a 10 had it not been for the two aforementioned tracks.

The fact you gave it a 9/10 suggests you would give anything Mikael does a good score. That's a near perfect score despite you admitting it has a couple of dodgy songs.
Fuck it, I'm not even interested enough to look for the leak.

My posting yesterday on another forum:

Less than halfway into track 5 and the only one that stands out thus far by a lot is The Devil's Orchard.

EDIT:

4:39 into track #6 and i'm glad i didn't waste my money pre-ordering this last night.

EDIT:

2:40 into track #7 and the yawn fest continues.

I've had a brief listen online and i'm just not feeling it - not my type of music to be honest. I may have a couple more listens, but at this point i doubt i will be buying a copy.

I kind of get a King Diamond meets Dream Theater meets Opeth vibe. Overall pretty mediocre, but I rather like Slither and I Feel the Dark.

Slowly going through it. Been listening to fuckloads of Uriah Heep, Genesis, Jethro Tull and other old stuff lately - and in comparison so far, Heritage sounds incredibly empty. Fuck all atmosphere, just no depth and lots of tossy ideas.

Sigh.

Still, got a lot more left on it to hear yet...

EDIT: almost at the end now.

I'm absolute shock. This is way WAY worse than I thought it would be.

When they announced the direction of the record, I was open to the idea. Their progressive parts in the past (ie previous to and including Damnation) have been great.

But this... it just goes nowhere. There's no direction on Heritage at all. There's no "feel". You know when you hear a great record, you feel you're in the mind of the band, looking about, exploring? Well, none of that here.

There's no flow, no logic in the record. It's disjointed. Each song does not have a character which makes it discernable from the next. Heritage is just a mash of ideas. And boring, shallow, half-conceived ones at that.

The lyrics are immature and "mainstream". The usage of a more advanced style of English, the poetry - all gone. Incredibly lacklustre, so little emotion. Sentences, phrases - Opeth records, up to D&D, used to be full of mental imagery painted with Akerfeldt's fantastic use of words. No longer.

I've bashed Opeth since GR, everyone knows that. Yes, I think the material since then really is terrible, but this... THIS is a huge step down from even those albums, because at least on those there were moments of greatness.

On Heritage, there is none.

Attrocious, were I to be blunt. I can't even rate it, it's that bad.

To be honest I miss the Death Metal vocals that weren't present on the album. It was a little disappointing but the progressiveness is great on it, which I'll give them that.

I enjoyed it a lot. I will admit to being a huge Opeth fan and I'm sure my judgement is clouded. But I do like the album. As much as I enjoy this I am hoping whatever they do next gets back to being heavier.

Good album, only given it 2 spins so far though. Sounds better then Damnation. Guess it will grow on me a lot like they always do. For sure not an album for metalheads in general.

For sure not an album for metalheads in general.

Plenty of metalheads (mainly older guys) grew up listening to prog rock (and semetimes it‘s the thing that got them into metal) and they still realize that Opeth sucks.

Exactly. It's not like we started listening to music 3 hours ago. Fucking typical pro-Opeth fan responses ffs. If something is shit, it's shit. Period.

Plenty of metalheads (mainly older guys) grew up listening to prog rock (and semetimes it‘s the thing that got them into metal) and they still realize that Opeth sucks.

True.

I listen to mellow music as well. I really digged Devin Townsend Project - Ghost (as an example).

The last 2 Opeth albums have been poor, which is a shame because i dig a lot of their other work. I even liked a few of the songs on Ghost Reveries.

Even the heavy parts on Watershed were poor. I really loathe Watershed and the new record sounds even worse from the few listens i've had.