Opeth-Watershed

I thought GR was an awesome album, but before you let that taint my opinion of the new album...rest assured the new one is pretty different from it ;)
Fair enough. Opeth is one of those bands who I expect will evolve over time. So even if they did a few discs I thought were complete ass, I'd still check out each new disc.

Zod

There are certain "things" I expect to hear on an Opeth disc. While they all still appeared, the new one presented some curveballs that I did not see coming from them. A couple of them I really enjoyed (like additional instruments and vocals).

Fair enough. Opeth is one of those bands who I expect will evolve over time. So even if they did a few discs I thought were complete ass, I'd still check out each new disc.

Zod

That's exactly the right attitude to have towards them too. I can respect that some don't enjoy their progression as much as I do, but you certainly cannot say they stand still for long. One thing worth noting is that they use Per much more on this album than in the past. Many of his "bigger" parts have a real 70's prog vibe, some reminding me of ELP-type stuff. Dunno if that interests you or turns you off :)

That's exactly the right attitude to have towards them too. I can respect that some don't enjoy their progression as much as I do, but you certainly cannot say they stand still for long. One thing worth noting is that they use Per much more on this album than in the past. Many of his "bigger" parts have a real 70's prog vibe, some reminding me of ELP-type stuff. Dunno if that interests you or turns you off :)
I didn't mind the evolution of their sound. And I don't mind that the 70s Prog Rock elements that have always been present in their music, has moved to the forefront. My problem with Ghost Reveries was the songwriting. I expect Opeth songs to be compelling. Instead, they seemed forced and tired. Very curious to hear the new disc.

Zod

When is the release date for this? I'm chompin' at the bit to hear it!

June 3rd.

The mention of "'70's prog" sound has me even more interested in this.

dt

I have a feeling Steve Wilson of Porcupine, et. al., was probably involved as the rumors continue saying there is going to be a ultra-prog-metal-super collabaration between Portnoy, Akerfeldt, and Wilson someday.

Which would explain the '70s-era prog.

rumors continue saying there is going to be a ultra-prog-metal-super collabaration between Portnoy, Akerfeldt, and Wilson someday.

Thank you for the release date. Yes, I've heard talk of this for a couple years and I think it would be absolutely genius. Keep our fingers crossed that this comes to fruition and tour (smile).

I didn't mind the evolution of their sound. And I don't mind that the 70s Prog Rock elements that have always been present in their music, has moved to the forefront. My problem with Ghost Reveries was the songwriting. I expect Opeth songs to be compelling. Instead, they seemed forced and tired. Very curious to hear the new disc.

Zod

Yup, it was also the first time Opeth started heavily relying on start/stop riffs which also kind of made the overall songwriting seem lazy. It didn't have the variation and the complexity of Deliverance and Blackwater Park. (I leave Damnation out because it's an entirely different beast)