Opinions on drum part in DWOT intro

DavidPartay

Cold Forged
Oct 26, 2004
Australia
Hey all,

I'm transcribing the drum parts for DWOT and well... I have a conundrum.

I have always played simultaneous strokes with my hands on the snare and 14" tom for the majority of the pattern, with the accents on the 16" tom.

However, I am not entirely certainly that Jason is playing it the same way. Only thing is, I can't tell for certain by listening to the recording.

So, has anyone seen them play DWOT live, and seen if Jason just plays on the snare live, with only the accents on the tom + snare, or if he plays the whole thing with simultaneous strokes (other than the lead-in at the end)?

On the live album, his hands are mirroring themselves Snare+Tom note for not until :53 where he goes to just snare. A little bass drum work at the end of a couple phrasings, but the hands mirror each other the entire time.

Hope that helps.

I've always taken it as Snare and Floor Tom mirroring each other as well. That's how I'd play it.
If you require assistance on the groovtacular beat right afterwards, feel free to ask! It's one of my favourite parts!

Thanks guys... I was leaning towards snare and tom for that part so I'll add it in :).

I'll have another listen to the live version as well to get the changeover point.

At the moment I've done about the first 6 minutes of the song I think, I'm at work so I can't check but I think I left it at the point where the singing comes in with "This burning conflict I'm feeling..." :)

Hey, thanks for the tip :) I'm definitely going with the synchronous hands on the intro, I've always heard it that way since I heard the live version and that's how I've always played it... Plus, if that's how he plays it live then that's the important part.

I am however, pretty sure he just plays on the snare in the studio version. The reason for that is that the snare hits sound articulated as though they're played with two hands, whereas on the live album it definitely sounds like one hand on the snare. It's a good change though, as I'm sure we can all agree :)

I am trying to be accurate as possible with accents and dynamics, but since the assumption is that if you're attempting to play the song that you're a reasonably proficient drummer, I'm not going into massive dynamic detail... Just key elements of the dynamics which I'd get yelled at about if I missed them :p