Opinions on Gus G. bands/projects

ashaman7122

Crazy on a ship of fools
Dec 11, 2002
Just wanted to get some feedback from the masses.

I keep seeing Gus G's name everywhere...man...that fucker keeps busy. Anyway, read some good reviews, read some bad reviews and just wondering if any of the bands that he's in are putting out any good music...cuz he certainly draws a lot of press.

That being said, Dream Evil has never really excited me. I've tried to get into them, but there's just so much 2nd rate power metal out there, that I just don't find anything that sucks me in to Dream Evil (bash me for that if you wish), and I have checked out some Nightrage material...not really a death metal fan no matter how melodic.

What about Firewind or Mystic Prophecy...any opinions on those?

Gus G! One of my favorite topics! :)

I can certainly understand not finding Dream Evil all that engrossing. I am a huge fan of Gus, but to me as well it seems... maybe like a more powerful HammerFall or something. A nice diversion, but more or less retreading old paths too much to really stand out. However, even though Dream Evil is the most successful project Gus is in (I think?), it's not the most "serious". By which I mean, they aren't trying to really do anything new except have fun playing old school power metal. And more power (no pun intended) to them!

Mystic Prophecy is a little more in the thrash/power vein. In addition to Gus' axe tearing things up, they've got a standout singer and a really amazing drummer. I'd highly recommend giving them a try.

But Firewind is for me Gus' crowning achievement. It's certainly his most personal project, since he does all the writing. It's good, classy melodic/power metal, walking the line between the American and European schools. Gus says it best... when it comes to Firewind, he doesn't care what sounds "American" or "Euro"; he just plays what sounds good. And does it ever sound good! Dunno if you're familiar with the band KenZiner, but their old singer Stephen Fredrick sings for Firewind. He's got a good melodic but somewhat gritty voice... I'd rate him close to guys like Jorn Lande and Oliver Hartmann. He's really good. The rhythm section was rotated out recently, and the new guys are tight as hell. If any of this sounds at all appealing to you, I'd urge you to give Firewind a listen. Easily one of my favorite bands right now.

Hope that helps!

All his bands sound the same except for Nightrage is slightly different. Personally my favorite is Mystic Prophecy - Regressus, but all his music is just recycled.

BadGenome...thanks for the well-thought out response...will follow through on check out both bands...

By the way...I checked the official band sites, label sites, and some of my fave general sites for sound samples for Mystic and Firewind...no luck.

Any help?

And Ben...thanks for the tip...will check them out...

I really like Firewind. Not the typical neoclassical metal that is overflooding the metal world. I like the more aggressive approach to power metal that Gus displays with this band.
Mystic Prophecy has cool riffs and some very good songs, but the problem is that all choruses sound the same. They need to mix them up a little because everything sounds way to similar.
Dream Evil bores me, Sounds too much like HammerFall.
Nightrage has some cool thrash metal, but somehow I can´t stand the singer´s voice even though I do not mind death vocals (I love Bodom, Dark Tranquillity, old In Flames, Kalmah, etc)

ashaman7122 said:
By the way...I checked the official band sites, label sites, and some of my fave general sites for sound samples for Mystic and Firewind...no luck.

Any help?
Hmmm. I can't manage to find anything, other than the video for download on the Firewind site. Sorry. :(

Daybreaker said:
Also check out Skyfire, imagine a melodic death version of Rhapsody. Weird on text, cool in your stereo.

Ben
Thanks for the heads up on that, Ben. I read Metal Reviews all the time (you guys kick ass, btw!) but somehow missed that one. It really does sound like a melodeath Rhapsody, even if Jay says otherwise! :D

Kostas Karamitroudis is his real name...

I think he'd be INCREDIBLE if he stuck with one band, but he's got three bands, plus guests on a million other albums... it's too much for him to pack an album's worth of good material on anything. If he decided he's going to have one band that he'd concentrate on, I think he'd make incredible albums. As it is, he makes a bunch of middling to decent ones.

Dream Evil is sweet I think, Nightrage is awesome but Gus really isnt involved with them that much. He didnt really write anything and just plays lead guitar. I havent heard much Firewind, and Skyfire's pretty cool. Mystic Prophecy is good every now and then and has some killer songs but I cant listen to it all the way through, bleeds together too much. He should just concentrate on one band. I hate it when someone plays for like 50 million bands at the same time, like TOMAS LINDBERG. STOP ALREADY!!!

Ben

Daybreaker said:
I hate it when someone plays for like 50 million bands at the same time, like TOMAS LINDBERG. STOP ALREADY!!!
I really wasn't aware that Lindberg had been involved in anything besides At the Gates, The Crown, and Lock Up, and of those only The Crown and Lock Up ever coincided, and Lock Up is a very infrequent, low-commitment project for everyone involved anyhow.

I may be wrong, but that's all I'd heard of.

Ryan

Lindberg bands: At the Gates, The Crown, Lock Up, Nightrage, Disfear, The Great Deciever. Of those Nightrage, Disfear and I think the Great Deciever all came out the same year. I dont know that much about the Great Deciever though so I could be wrong. Also I think I'm leaving maybe one or two other bands out.

Ben

As it stands right now I haven't heard a Gus G project I didn't love. The Mystic Prophecy album I talked about in one of my first posts grew on me a great deal and while I still think Lia isn't the most diverse singer, it fits perfectly. I only recently got into Firewind...picked up the first Firewind album a few months back and i've been loving every second of it. Gus's playing on that is a lot more gritty and definitely shows that Gus can tear it up melodic or more agressive. Definitely gotta check out Burning Earth ASAP. As for Dream Evil, they were the first band got me introduced to Gus G, and is the sole reason I ventured into his other bands. I still don't have Evilized, working on getting a copy as we speak, but the first Dream Evil album is amazing to me. Its nothing new, but goes by the "aint broke, don't fix it" adage and comes out being a remarkable first effort from the band. The only project I haven't heard from Gus is the Lindberg fronted Nightrage. My friend picked it up and he hates any form of death metal and he says he fell in love with the album anyways. Definitely something to check out it seems.

--Bill