Opinions on Slough Feg?

Aug 31, 2004
This band seems to be really popular with the group of non-power metal fans I talk to, I hear lots of praise for 'Avatism' (their new album this year). I was wondering what the opinions were of the people here. I've been listening to some of their songs on and off. It's rather hard for me to get into for me, but maybe it will click sometime.

Only have Avatism. It's so overhyped by the Slough Feg fanbase it's not even funny anymore. Average celtic/folk influenced metal with quite a few 70's classic rock inspirations ala Thin Lizzy. The songs rarely make the 3 minute mark, very short and concise. Not really my thing if you ask me.

A great band-- though "Atavism" isn't their best work-- I'd recommend "Down Among the Deadmen" or "Twilight of the Idols" as to me, those are most representative and 'complete' as this band gets...

Some great early Maiden influence going on, too.

Atavism is a very good album, my 2nd favorite, but I prefer The Traveler over all of them. There is a certain production vibe/sound on that one that is much more crisp and modern.

the best comparision Sough Feg can be put against (in my opinon) is Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, early Omen and Fates Warning (Night on Brocken-era). A fairly recent band with a late 70's and early 80's metal vibe... I dig it. :worship:

Very cool guys, and very good live band as well, worth checking out if they come around on tour again.

\m/
Dustin

Bumping this old thread... sorry for the extreme necroposting. Slough Feg fucking KILLS. My band opened for them back in november which was unfortunately my first time ever seeing them (i don't know how i could have skipped one or two of their shows before that!). They came back to Snake Mountain after the set to spend the night and bullshit, and they're fucking awesome dudes. Saw them again on Tuesday night opening for the sword (and hey... Fuck The Sword) and once again they dominated. Like REALLY fucking dominated.

If you haven't seen this band live, fix that asap. They tour the states pretty regularly. Well worth getting out to see one of the best live bands ever.

They sound awesome.

Check out their myspace if you want to know what they sound like. It takes far less time than for somebody to come up with some drabble about 'The Jackson Five meets Queen flying on a starship.'

They sound awesome.

That's pretty much what they sound like :lol:

For those who won't be fucked to click on their myspace (which, by the way, is http://www.myspace.com/sloughfeg ), it's just old school metal, they obviously like Thin Lizzy quite a bit. Really fun band, great songs, amazing harmonies, etc.

Definitely take a second to check them out if you haven't.

Traveler is a great album. But honestly, i'd start anywhere except Avatism, thoguh that album is FAR from terrible. It's still a great album, but Traveler or even their newest one Hardworlder are both good places to start.

Traveler is a great album. But honestly, i'd start anywhere except Avatism, thoguh that album is FAR from terrible. It's still a great album, but Traveler or even their newest one Hardworlder are both good places to start.

I agree... Traveler is where I'd start too. As I mentioned earier... in 2005 :lol:
By far their best album. Ironicly - I was sporting my Travleler T-shirt yesterday.
:kickass:

Hardworlder seems to be fairly close to Traveler in theme adn style, so checking that out would also be worth it too.

I'm a huge fan of Feg and Atavism is actually my favorite album. They're all extremely awesome though, but my least favorite is definitely the S/T. I hardly ever find myself reaching for that one. They're also one of the most fun live bands you'll ever see :kickass: