Original Dokken Lineup Reunites!! (Yes WITH Lynch!)

From the clips I watched, Pilson and Mick are the only two that got the memo that this was a live show and not a sound check. Don and George both appear completely disengaged.

Oh, and Don sounds awful, but that's been the case for years.

From the clips I watched, Pilson and Mick are the only two that got the memo that this was a live show and not a sound check. Don and George both appear completely disengaged.

A live show, yes, but a rehearsal gig, not a full-fledged performance gig, so in a way, it was a bit of a glorified soundcheck. If anything, he's smart for not pushing himself at a rehearsal.

A live show, yes, but a rehearsal gig, not a full-fledged performance gig, so in a way, it was a bit of a glorified soundcheck. If anything, he's smart for not pushing himself at a rehearsal.

Wow, now THAT is some serious excuse making. Tell that to the crowd who, in most cases, traveled in from some distance to make this show. Tell that to the folks who paid good money to see that show.

Wow, now THAT is some serious excuse making. Tell that to the crowd who, in most cases, traveled in from some distance to make this show. Tell that to the folks who paid good money to see that show.
Excuse making? I have no incentives to make excuses for Don, it's simply the truth. And I would hope whoever attended the show, would be conscious of that going in. I was considering it myself, but on hearing that it was a rehearsal, decided they may not try their best as a result, and so I didn't go. I'd like to know how explaining the basic circumstances is "excuse making".

I'd like to know how explaining the basic circumstances is "excuse making".

Merely that saying that this is a "rehearsal" show somehow gets Don and George off the hook for a pretty shoddy performance. These guys are professionals, and have been touring for years albeit separately. To get up on stage in front of an eager audience and act completely disinterested is flat out unprofessional. Mick and Jeff certainly don't look like they are "rehearsing".

Merely that saying that this is a "rehearsal" show somehow gets Don and George off the hook for a pretty shoddy performance. These guys are professionals, and have been touring for years albeit separately. To get up on stage in front of an eager audience and act completely disinterested is flat out unprofessional. Mick and Jeff certainly don't look like they are "rehearsing".
Oh, I agree it doesn't excuse them not making the effort, especially Don, but I was just explaining why Don didn't sound as great, that it was down to that and not him being incapable. He also did injure his voice around the time of the show, so an all the wiser move to lay it back if you ask me.

Oh, I agree it doesn't excuse them not making the effort, especially Don, but I was just explaining why Don didn't sound as great, that it was down to that and not him being incapable. He also did injure his voice around the time of the show, so an all the wiser move to lay it back if you ask me.

I actually gave up on his voice years ago. He just does not have the range he used by a wide margin. I'm OK with that. My beef was the overall lack of energy or enthusiasm more than anything. I don't expect Don to hit the same notes he used to, but I do expect him to act like something more than a mannequin on stage. Same goes for George.

Did you happen to see clips of the surprise Ratt (minus Blotzer) reunion on the cruise recently? Now THAT is what I expect to see! Dokken could learn a thing or two from them.

I actually gave up on his voice years ago. He just does not have the range he used by a wide margin. I'm OK with that. My beef was the overall lack of energy or enthusiasm more than anything. I don't expect Don to hit the same notes he used to, but I do expect him to act like something more than a mannequin on stage. Same goes for George.

Did you happen to see clips of the surprise Ratt (minus Blotzer) reunion on the cruise recently? Now THAT is what I expect to see! Dokken could learn a thing or two from them.
His voice sounded awful from 2010-13 (after he popped his throat during a festival show around 2007) but he's been slowly improving as of late 2014 or so, he can even manage some of his old, ghostly falsetto. He hits the notes, albeit not as forcefully as he did in the 80's, but he reaches the pitches and keys correctly, with little to no cracking. I don't think a lot of people realize how big of a difference that is from the 2010-13 period where his range was reduced to pathetic croaks, where couldn't even land the notes' original pitches and keys, which he now does. I understand your dismay with his lackadaisical stage presence, but to knowingly go into a rehearsal gig such as that, and then stand indignant when they don't throw their all into it is a bit foolish. Saw the Ratt reunion, and I agree, that's what this Dokken regrouping should be, but sadly, it doesn't seem to be the case.

Dear god... I didn't think he sucked that much. While Lynch doesn't look very happy to be there, I have nothing to say about his playing.

Dokken sucked bad when I saw him open for Whitesnake and Scorpions something like 10 years ago but never as bad as this. Poor people who paid to see this...

So that would be a rehearsal, Dokken is saving his voice for future shows and they'd put that specific rehearsal on a DVD? Doesn't work. His voice is shot, period.
He unexpectedly damaged his voice during said rehearsal show, he was saving it, ultimately in vain it would appear. His voice isn't "shot" by any measure of the imagination though.

He unexpectedly damaged his voice during said rehearsal show, he was saving it, ultimately in vain it would appear. His voice isn't "shot" by any measure of the imagination though.

I admire you're being a fan but you shouldn't try to defend the undefendable... I've played a couple more songs from their shows in Japan since then, it's as horrible... He keeps ditching all the high notes and even some midrange. He has absolutely no power.

Go listen to Dee Snyder or Bruce Dickinson for example. They might not have the voice they had when they were 20 but they can still belch it out. Dokken isn't even trying. Is he keeping his voice for the old folks house?

Reactions: labrekk
I admire you're being a fan but you shouldn't try to defend the undefendable... I've played a couple more songs from their shows in Japan since then, it's as horrible... He keeps ditching all the high notes and even some midrange. He has absolutely no power.

Go listen to Dee Snyder or Bruce Dickinson for example. They might not have the voice they had when they were 20 but they can still belch it out. Dokken isn't even trying. Is he keeping his voice for the old folks house?
It's not even about being a fan, it's about analyzing his voice as it is. I agree, his performances in Japan were awful. What about him damaging his voice during rehearsal don't you understand? Not to mention he's obviously disinterested in a reunion with the joker who's relentlessly shit talked him ad nauseam like an ass for 20 years.