Orphaned Land - recording ORwarriOR, a diary from the studio

Postmodernist, is that youtube link of Pundit Shivkumar Sharma?? It didn't show up on my comp.

If it is, he is a proponent of the Santoor and its a very soothing instrument, a string instrument played like a percussion instrument. I would really love to hear the use of Santoor in OrwarriOr.

Instruments that I would love to hear in OL's music,

Sarod
Sitar or Veena
Balalaika

P.S.
Which is the instrument used in Zipporah before the laai-lai lai laah ?
It can be simulated on a guitar but It sounds more akin to a middle-eastern instrument [ Oud ? ]

My little contribution.
This is a really good torrent, I have a few of those CDs
\http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/48965700/Duets+by+masters+of+Indian+cjassical+music?tab=summary

Its basically famous Hindustani Classical artists perfoming duets known as Jugalbandis. Pundit Shivkumar Sharma with Shri Hariprasad Chaurasia[flute] and along with Ustad Zakir Hussain [the great tabla virtuoso]. Do check this out. Most of these artists completely improvise their performances with their prowess .

More photos from the great percussions session we did:

413.jpg

423.jpg

2009414_18224318558_418.jpg

2009414_18222226714_417.jpg

Oh... my... GOD!

Subhanullah! You guys... I cannot believe it!

This album is gonna be a blast, I can't believe the effort you're all puttin in.

I honestly never expected to ever hear the Santur in OL, in fact I always wanted to ask the band to try it... can't believe they are going to use it after all! I LOVE you guys!

I can't wait for this album, I really can't... checking the pics and reading made me want to kill myself... lol I can't wait!

Just wondering... will there be any Arabic vocals? I really wish to hear Kobi singing in Arabic.

Keep us updated! ...Although... honestly I wish I hadn't checked this forum... I cannot stand all the excitement and the surprise might have been greater, once I hear the album itself.

I guess someone would have brought it up in this forum, over the years, but I am unaware. How does the right wing percieve their work?

I've seen Global Metal movie dude but I got only how the politicos perceived singing about the Holocaust, the Salem interview, but not about religious texts as you said. I'd seen the video you linked too, but I didn't exactly get a sense of how the right are reacting to them including Arabic elements?

Sorry for the confusion fellow. I'm letting the band respond :)
Overall, I love political context of powerful music (Pantera, Sepultura, straightedge hardcore). And I definitely see a strong pro-IsraeliPalestinean unity context in OL's music.

Kobi mentioned they gonna record quanun. That is, singing Qu'ran in Arabic.

No friend, Qannun is an instrument, it's like a Middle Eastern Zither, it was played on the first two albums, check out the solo part in El Meod Na'ala. that's the wonderful sound of the Qannun!

No friend, Qannun is an instrument, it's like a Middle Eastern Zither, it was played on the first two albums, check out the solo part in El Meod Na'ala. that's the wonderful sound of the Qannun!

Yop, you are right ofcourse. Did you know they had the original player from el norra alila and Sahara- Abraham Salma- as a guest at their acoustic show in Jerusalem? The guy is from Egypt and a famous quannun player. It was wonderful to see it come together on the stage.

oud2.JPG

oud3.JPG

oud46.JPG

oud35.jpg

oud45.JPG

That was some great evenning Nathalie!

Good morning everyone!

I'm going to the studio in a few moments, today we will start to record Shlomit and probably the Santur too, and maybe more. reports and photoss soon.

Greetongs from the orphaned warriORs!

I got a video from that Oud festival, and it's just wonderful - Kobi and Shlomit and Yossi with Oud and guest musicians.
Does any1 have any audio or video from that festival? Any official recordings of the festival available in Israel?

PS: Bismillah, have a creative day Kobi! Wish you great musical insights from the gods of light.
PPS: Pass my warmest shalom to Shlomit. I'm sooo much eager to get her solo releases!

Many thanks for the great comments! We really work hard to bring you an epic release!
Messiakh - We do read your mind, appearently.. and not only for the Santur :) Kobi will sing in Arabic in this album.

Recording Shlomit singing as I write these lines.. Pictures to follow soon ;-)

Here's a short video taste of what's going on in the Studio, from the percussion session!

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for the great comments! We really work hard to bring you an epic release!
Messiakh - We do read your mind, appearently.. and not only for the Santur :) Kobi will sing in Arabic in this album.
Recording Shlomit singing as I write these lines.. Pictures to follow soon ;-)

Hehehe you guys are magic! It's settled, this is going to be my favorite OL album :headbang:

And yes Morticia NL :) I read some info regarding Abraham Salman, turns out to be one of the best Kannun players in the world ;)

My cousin who is a fan of Arabic music got shocked when he heard such great kannun preformance in a Metal song, lol I told him you should always expect the unexpected goodness when it comes to OL :headbang:

And Postmodernist, I know you're dying to hear samples of the album as I am too, but I say no, wait... patience... and when the moment comes, it'll be one hell of a experience!

Okay I typed alot, I'll shut up.