Orphaned Land

they were awesome. Really got the crowd involved.

For those who haven't seen this interview, Kobi talks a fair amount ORwarriOR

I guess the only disappointing part for myself, was missing their signing on Friday (I was suggested to see Mindflow who I didn't know), and I didn't realize I wouldn't have much chance to see them the rest of the weekend. I did get to visit with Josie, 1 of their guitarists last night at least.

Also I suppose given I was not at their other PP appearance, I could have gone for a couple of other Mabool tracks especially, namely "A Call to Awake" or the title track for example.

But hearing the new stuff and more or less their whole set, I still thoroughly enjoyed them. They certainly still lived up to my hopes as a live band. I really hope they find a way to tour the States next year after ORwarriOR is released. Maybe they could open for Porcupine Tree even (the relationship with Steven Wilson now would certainly not hurt that from happening). Maybe Demians and Orphaned Land open with PT as a headliner. I would likely travel to see a show like if it were to somehow happen (and not hit my town, which happens somewhat often unfortunately).

Last edited by a moderator:
They were awesome... the only thing that threw me was the fact that most of their set consisted of new material, which none (most?) of us haven't heard yet, so it was hard to really get into the performance.

I really connected to this band. I really didn't get into them until Ernie Topran turned me onto Mabool. Also, I agree with thier overall philosophy in many ways, and thier music sounds like thier philosophy. I like it when I band writes music that fits thier message or text. Very nice guys as well, very gracious and excited to be here. If you haven't seen "Global Metal" yet, they have a good chunk of time in the film, and represent what they are about in, what i felt, was the clearest terms. *New fan as well*

They were awesome... the only thing that threw me was the fact that most of their set consisted of new material, which none (most?) of us haven't heard yet, so it was hard to really get into the performance.

Agreed...but the new stuff really sounded great! (Surprisingly growl-heavy, too....not that that's a BAD thing with me. :))

My only real complaint was that they didn't play "Halo Dies (Wrath of God)," which is my fave from Mabool, but the other choices from there were...well, choice. :kickass:

This was the band I was most looking forward to seeing - as they rocked a few years back. In talking with the guys out in the lobby - they said we'd get some new stuff - but we got a huge dose. I like the fact that we get to hear it early - just wish I already knew the songs before they played them.

They could have played another 30 minutes and i would have been a very happy camper - oh well maybe in a few years when they are headlining :)

jeff

That's the strange thing for me, this is the first time I think EVER that I was totally able to get into a band without knowing most of the songs. I was really surprised by that. Something about this band just really is so spiritual and haunting that nearly everything they do just gets right inside. I was practically mesmerized. One of my favorite performances of a very stellar ProgPower fest.

Yes! OL was amazing - their set seemed way too short to me. :D Can't wait to listen to the new project in its entirety!

They put on a great show and were one of the highlights of the fest, but I feel their performance fell short of their last appearance at PP. Their stage presence didn't feel quite as good this time around - perhaps it was because they no longer have the animated keyboard player? I don't know. Still really, really good.