<OT> New Yorkers & Wildhearts fans

manowarfan1

Jan 16, 2004
Colorado Springs, CO
Hello all - just got word that Ginger from the "hearts is coming to NYC to do one show - April 4th - someplace called Don Hill's. Anyone know of this club? I can fly in on Frontier to LaGuardia or other airlines to JFK - either one better for getting to wherever this is? Address is 511 Greenwich St at Spring Street. Any places nearby to get a room? Any other people wanna consider splitting a room? I'm housebroken for the most part, failry harmless and a heckuva nice guy :)

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Jeff/manowarfan1

Don Hills is a pretty small place in the West Village in Manhattan. Both LaGuardia and JFK are in Queens. LGA is closer to Manhattan, so you may save a bit of money on a cab by using that airport. It is also smaller and not as crazy as JFK. Not sure about hotels in the area.

Be advised that Don Hills is notorious for having headlining acts *start* playing between 12:30 and 1:00 am!! Make sure you take a nap in the afternoon! :lol:

Steph

Thanks for the help/advice. I havent been to NYC since I was a wee lad in my teens hitchhiking from Southern MD to L'Amours to see bands like Manowar (made one, missed some) and Riot (never made it, guys' car broke down somewhere in NJ) - and Virgin Steele (back when it was Jack Starr & Dave DeFies).

So far, I figure LaGuardia, cab and perhaps Ginger & Co can tell me where they plan on staying - cant be too far from there I'd figure. Thanks again - anyone else with any info - it'd be cool, maybe I can swing by and visit my Mom's old haunts - her being a Brooklyner and all.

Jeff

You can get from both LGA and JFK into Manhattan without using a cab, and save yourself a shitload of money in the process. A cab ride to the village from LGA will probably cost around $30, and from JFK it'll be a flat fare of $45 plus tolls. Instead, if you go from LGA, you can take a bus into Manhattan and transfer to a downtown subway, and the whole thing will cost you $2...if you're unfamiliar with nyc transit though, it's not the easiest thing. From JFK, you can take their AirTrain shuttle and transfer to a subway in Queens and ride that into Manhattan, the whole thing costing $7. A little more expensive than LGA, but it's easier and more tourist friendly. Also, LGA is definitely smaller than JFK, but JFK is much more modern and better organized.

So yeah, if you want to be able to get into Manhattan without having to think about anything or cart your own luggage, and you have some money to blow then a taxi's probably your best bet. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.

manowarfan1 said:
Hello all - just got word that Ginger from the "hearts is coming to NYC to do one show - April 4th - someplace called Don Hill's. Anyone know of this club? I can fly in on Frontier to LaGuardia or other airlines to JFK - either one better for getting to wherever this is? Address is 511 Greenwich St at Spring Street. Any places nearby to get a room? Any other people wanna consider splitting a room? I'm housebroken for the most part, failry harmless and a heckuva nice guy :)

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Jeff/manowarfan1

I'd say your best move here is to skip JFK and LaGuardia... they're both way out in Queens, and you'll have a spend a fair bit to get a cab ride to Don Hill's. Unless you can get a way better fare to one of those airports, I'd say your best option is to fly into Newark Liberty airport, which is right across the river from New York. There's a train station right in the airport, and it's about $5 for a 12 or so minute ride into Manhattan. From there, you can either walk (if you like walking, and the weather is ok), or you can take a subway for a couple bucks, right to the west village.

OK - so I finally sorted out my schedule and will be seeing both nights of Ginger and the Sonic Circus at a place called Don Hills in Manhattan. Staying at a Howard JOhnsons for a MERE $189 a night (they better supply vaseline for a price like that) - so I was wondering are there any good CD stores (with metal) around that area? (Spring St & Grenwich)? I will definitely being going to the WTC site and maybe even take a trip out to the statue (I know it's touristy but the only pace I have ever been in NY was a club called L'Amours when I was a teen and used to try to hitch from Maryland to see shows like Manowar, Riot, Saxon etc). I dont even think I have even been in NY in the daytime LOL (and my Mom is from Brooklyn).

So, what's out there for a fan of good music to do between recovering forom the shows? I'm flying in early on the 4th and out late on the 6th (hey, saves one night of hotel) - so I should have some time in between beers to search for some of the cds from PP bands I havent found yet :)

jeff

You are close enough to the west village area so it will take you about a 10-15 minute walk to the best metal CD shop in Manhattan, Generation Records. The easiest way to get up there and not get lost is to stay on Greenwich Street and walk all the way up until you get to this big street called West Houston Street. Then turn and walk east on Houston until you see Thompson Street. Make a left turn north on Thompson and you will reach Generation Records on your next block up. They have an entire metal section when you walk in to your right as well as an awesome used metal section downstairs. There are also metal shirts downstairs but a bit pricey. Since you're pretty much in that area, a great place for lunch and beer is this German bar called Lederhosen. Cheap and great food. http://lederhosennyc.com/pages/6/index.htm Another cheap place to have drinks is Asylum in the West Village. The happy hour I think is everyday until 10pm with half priced drinks (Maker's Mark & Coke is $4, martini's are $3, pint of beer is $3, etc.). It's pretty much the cheapest you can find. It's on 149 Bleecker Street cross street Thompson Street, so basically a bit north from Generation Records.