Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Pelican – Australasia

Hydra Head – HH666-75 – 2003

By Nathan Pearce

australasia.gif

Normally instrumental music seems to have a noncommittal effect on me. I don’t really like it, and I don’t really hate it. There are a few exceptions . . . and most of those exceptions are bands on Hydra Head and/or Tortuga Records. However, this time around, I was VERY surprised by what I was hearing.

Pelican plays instrumental music in a similar style to 5ive’s Continuum Research Project (formerly 5ive) and the instrumental sections of bands like Kyuss, Old Man Gloom, Isis, etc. Pelican separates themselves by adding melody and awesome groove as well as mixing up the riffs and guitar licks in perfect form. Everything works perfectly on Australasia. Pelican is also exceptional when it comes to song structure and song writing in general. Each of the songs on Australasia is amazing all the way through. Songs go from intricate and dynamic to heavy and crushing. Every instrument in the mix is played by musicians that love to jam rather than to shred. In fact, there are no guitar solos (in the traditional sense) anywhere on this album. Nonetherless, don’t call Pelican a jam band. Songs are structured and driven to a concise ending.

For fans of Dysrhythmia, Kyuss, and Isis, Pelican is a must own. For fans of everything from southern rock and blues to crushing thrash and noisecore, I’d highly recommend you give Pelican a try as well. Australasia is probably the best instrumental album I’ve heard in years. In fact, it’s so good, I’m glad there aren’t vocals in the mix to take away from the rest of band.

8.5/10

www.hydrahead.com