Persefone - Shin Ken

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
I usually will not go out and review an album that I like and post it on the forum, but I really feel like I had to do it with this one. I finally had a chance to check out Persefone’s new album, Shin-Ken. To those unfamiliar with the band, they’re from the small country of Andorra, in Europe, and they’re part of the Intromental family. Thank you Claus, if I hadn’t seen this on the Intromental website, I would’ve never ever checked this band out.

This album talks about old Japanese war/battle stories. I can only think of Samurais and Ninjas, to tell you the truth. Interesting enough, considering I can’t think of any bands who have touched on this subject in the past.

Now the music… Ahhh, the music. Persefone has been described of Progressive Death Metal, or even Progressive Black Metal, but wait a second. Power and Prog fans, don’t get discouraged. It goes WAY beyond this. This sounds fresh (at least to me) like nothing else has in a really long time. The songs are very well structured, showcasing technicality and feeling, beautiful melodies and hate-filled heavy passages that it’s just hard to describe. Every song has a lot of different sonic layers, which makes this quite an experience. Atmospheric, heavy, modern, intricate, emotional, beautiful, evil… depending on the moment of the album. Oh yeah, let’s not forget a little bit of Japanese ethnic music in there too. I put this on and literally didn't move until the whole album finished. It was worth EVERY second.

I have tried to think of bands that this band reminds me of, and I could cite so many, yet this is so different than any of them. I hear Mercenary, Riverside, Dream Theater, Opeth, some Power Metal, Black Metal and much much more. It's a bit edgier than what most around here like, but it's so worth trying.

Great musicianship that would make the most established power/prog bands feel ashamed, superb melodies, fantastic production, stunning artwork... Holy son of a bitch, this album is so good it's ridiculous!!!

Rest assured this will be in my top of 2010 list. Please give this a chance. You won't be disappointed.

http://www.myspace.com/persefoneband

I checked out their last album, CORE, in '07 and couldnt get into it really, althought they def. have the chops. I'll go to the myspace tho and give it a listen.
'

Wow, Andorra you said?

Two hours driving from Barcelona... nice!
I wouldn't check them out if they were from somewhere else, to be honest!
Let's see (listen)...

I found em' in 07 when "Core" came out. Haha, i was most interested to hear their rendition of Megadeth's "Train of Consequences", but I thought (and still think) the whole album is killer. Shin-Ken is on a whole 'nother playing field though!! I honestly feel that anyone with ears for real heavy metal talent can find something about that record that they enjoy! I was most pleased to hear that they have been on the G man's list of odd ball possibilities!

Major effin' bump, since I am finishing my top of the year list. This thing is still kicking my ass.

If you haven't checked it yet, do it before you finalize your Best of 2010 lists. So friggin' good!!!!

Can't pimp these guys enough!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOvGV9VcDGY&feature=related[/ame]

Since our musical tastes appear to be similar, I checked this out. Amazing music. I can even tolerate the occasional death vocals on here. Thanks for the head's up.

Picked this album up recently and have been giving it some spins. Definitely a talented group of musicians! It's one of those album that (for me) takes a lot of listens to really get into, but then I end up loving it. It is certainly something different. Check it out if you haven't yet.