Personal Guitar Lessons with Ron

Javier B.

Nov 7, 2005
Colombia
Hi Ron....I was thinking...Do you give personal lessons?If you do, How much do they cost? I´ll be very happy to take some lessons with you, I´m in Colombia, but i really want to travel there. My brother in law is going to the United States very soon and wants some lessons with you. Is it possible? Thanks.

Yep, I give lessons over here in San Antonio, TX. Whenever you make it to the States, send me an email and we'll set it up.

By the way, here's some of what I've got tentatively planned for the DVD(s). If you guys have and ideas or suggestions for topics, certain tunes, things to cover, etc..., feel free...

Simple 12 tone -
Suspended On All Fours (Ink Complete)

Modulating 12 tone
I've Got The Runs (SSoTC)

Multiple 12 tone -
Multi-Masking solo section (Ink Compatible)
Words For Nerds - Technician (part 4) (Ink Compatible)
Brain Fingerprinting (Blotted Science)

The Circle Of 12 Tones -
Laser Lobotomy (Blotted Science)
The Insomniac (Blotted Science)

Trade Offs -
The Mad Data Race (bridge section) (Ink Complete)
Suspended On All Fours (syncopated breaks) (Ink Complete)

Starts/Stops
At The Stop-N-Go (SSoTC)
The Mad Data Race (verses) (Ink Complete)
ACRONYM intro licks (Ink Complete)

Rhythmic Syncopation
Snuff (sixteenths) (SSoTC)
Tri, Tri Again (triplets) (SSoTC)
Gimme 5 (quintuplets) (SSoTC)

Floating Parallels
A Morning With Squeakie (chase sequence) (Ink Complete)
That 178 Thing (middle section/solo) (Ink Complete)
Minor Else! (SSoTC)
Back And Forth (SSoTC)

The A/B Switch
Melodramatic Chromatic (SSoTC)
A Morning With Squeakie (looking for food/dog appears) (Ink Complete)

Common simple scale use and abuse

MultiMasking - (Diminished 7) arpeggio breaks before choruses (Ink Compatible)
Aquanet - (Blues) verse theme and breaks between verses (Ink Compatible)
Sick, Dirty, Sick - (Blues/minor scales) themes and solos (SSoTC)
The Mad Dash - (Half/Whole Tone scale) (Ink Compatible)
MultiMasking - (Harmonic minor scale) fingertaps between verses (Ink Compatible)
Battle Of The Hands - (Whole Tone scale) (SSoTC)

Metric Modulation
Chromatic Alphabet

What else?!

Thanks,
Ron

Thanks a lot for your reply Ron!!I´ll do my best to go to the USA, thanks a lot, really. About the dvd, those topics are awsome!! Maybe, you could explain to us how you recorded your solo album, software and hardware you use, etc, ´cause i know a lot of us can´t play with a band, and it would be very helpful to start with our own recordings. What dou you think??
Again, thanks a lot.

Oh, Ron i have one question...are you going to play a complete song or songs like your brother Bobby did with his DVD?(Peppered Cancer, School, etc). I suggest I´ve got the runs really bad, and The mad data race.

You've said a series of DVDs... is it going to be like 1 DVD for 12 tones, 1 DVD for A/B, 1 DVD for floating parallels, etc?

or 1 DVD for all writing tools, 1 DVD for guitar making..?

Great DVD questions, guys. The best answer I can give you right now is... I'm not quite sure what is going to be covered in the first DVD. How's that!?!

I'm going to keep putting things together until I get somewhere between 90 and 120 minutes of video and data files combined, and that will be the first DVD. If I come up with more tunes and examples for the same topics (such as "multiple 12 tone", the "A/B Switch", etc...) then that topic will be on both DVDs, but have different song examples. As for "bonus" video, I'm already thinking that the first DVD will have the building of my doubleneck (I have to edit over 14 hours of footage) and an animation for "A Morning With Squeakie. The 2nd DVD will probably have the painting of my green/white swirl guitar and an animation for "Sex With Squeakie". I'm still sorting through the bonus ideas too right now, so I have to see what works out and comes together.

I've noticed that most guitar videos are less than an hour long, and most "music" DVDs run between 110-120 minutes. I'd think that the absolute minimum I'd have for theoretic explanations and playing of tunes/songs on one DVD is 60 minutes, probably 90. That would leave 1/4 of the DVD space available for non-playing "bonus" videos (including the guitar building/painting videos, Squeakie animated videos, Multi-Masking video, pdf data files for printing, etc...)

The 2nd DVD will have lots of video for the Blotted Science "The Circle Of 12 Tones" material because that CD is still being written, and there's lots of cool stuff on both Ink CDs and 'Solitarily Speaking' for the first DVD. However, I will have 2 or 3 songs from Blotted Science on the first DVD to introduce the writing idea.

Complete songs? A few possibilities from 'Spastic Ink - Ink Complete' are 'That 178 Thing', 'Suspended On All Fours', and 'The Mad Data Race'. Since the songs are 'Solitarily Speaking...' are so short, lots of them will be covered, including 'Battle Of The Hands', 'Melodramatic Chromatic', 'Snuff', "Sick, Dirty, Sick', lots more...

I'm sorry to say that the DVDs will not be for beginners. I don't want to spend time explaining common music theory when there are already so many other sources/outlets for learning that material. For example, I will not explain things like how many counts a whole note gets, that there are basic triads in major keys, etc.... I will also not explain how to rake arpeggios, and alternate pick. That technique related stuff is on so many other guitar videos already and it's pointless spending time on it and running over it again.

Thanks!,
Ron

Great Topics Ron! I can´t wait to get those DVD´s...I have one question...Are you going to release one dvd at a time, or are you thinking about releasing them as a whole package? Thanks!

PHHHP! is out of print right? You think maybe you could get some more printed and maybe throw that in there as well? :D

Of course you could jack up the price, but I guess that means you would have to have a normal version and a 'deluxe' version (with the PHHHP! and maybe a SSoTC cd (pretty soon I'll ask for an S.A. Slayer cd :p) being packaged in the deluxe) so that people who have it aren't paying extra for stuff they already have. But I don't know if that will cost you more as well, having 2 sets..

Great list Ron, but id also like to see the footage of you building your double neck possibly at the end of the dvd! I know you said its loads of footage to whitle down, but i think it would make a great "extra feature".

Ron, it would be cool if you went into the process you used to put music to animation so closely (the process of writing and recording The Cereal Mouse).

A guided tour of a spastic ink song would be cool too - from conception to mastering as part of the CD. I guess lack of footage for this would make it hard to do, but with songs as complex as these, where they're still composed "rock band style" (is this true by the way, that Pete Perez never used any notation when recording Ink Complete? I heard a romour about that), the writing process is certainly intruiging to me (a classical/jazz musician used to looking at charts and lead sheets) and would be worth covering.

Some stuff recorded specially for the DVD would be cool as well. Perhaps some jazz? Use some of the techniques you demonstrate out of a tech/metal context, that would be pretty funny. (I can help with jazz backing tracks if need be, i have a studio and band willing to do stuff) Haha, stupid idea! Wes will be rolling in his grave haha!

i hope this doesn't just dissipate as a pipe-dream and nothing more because it sounds like it would easily be one of the most interesting and unique guitar tuition videos ever. I wouldn't worry too much about crap like bonus features because, as nice as they may be the first time, they're ultimately just filler. I'd rather see a less-cut-back instructional session than seeing how your guitar was built (no offence intended by that).

FerretallicA said:
i hope this doesn't just dissipate as a pipe-dream and nothing more because it sounds like it would easily be one of the most interesting and unique guitar tuition videos ever. I wouldn't worry too much about crap like bonus features because, as nice as they may be the first time, they're ultimately just filler. I'd rather see a less-cut-back instructional session than seeing how your guitar was built (no offence intended by that).

I don't think we have to worry about it being a pipe-dream man. I'm pretty sure Ron is very busy putting it all together right now.

:headbang:

Yep, I'm in the middle of putting together the DVD and recording the Machinations material (also trying to put together somewhat of a Rush tribute band here in San Antonio). Staying pretty damn busy. On the Blotted side of things, Alex (Webster, bassist) has one song left to record, then he's totally done. Getting drums on tape (hard drive, actually) is running into complications. Why is it that it's always a total bitch getting drums done?

As for the DVD(s), lots of transcribing, relearning pieces that were played years ago, notation, video recording, introduction pieces, etc...

And now I'm getting too many ideas for another solo CD. Does anoybody out there do illustrations for arcade (video game) characters?

Actually, the building of the doubleneck (for bonus DVD material) is VERY cool, informative, and interesting. As for the possible Squeakie animations, they'd be along the lines of the "A Wild Hare" Bambi vids. I haven't received one complaint after putting these up years ago. I have, however, received literally hundreds of cool comments. But you may have to be a true Ink fan to get the most out of these...

1. <A HREF="http://www.ronjarzombek.com/thenewprince.wmv">The New Prince</A><BR>
2. <A HREF="http://www.ronjarzombek.com/imthumpin.wmv">I'm Thumpin'</A><BR>
3. <A HREF="http://www.ronjarzombek.com/bir-d.wmv">Bir-d</A><BR>
4. <A HREF="http://www.ronjarzombek.com/eatinggreens.wmv">Eating Greens</A><BR>
5. <A HREF="http://www.ronjarzombek.com/funonice.wmv">Fun On Ice<A><BR>
6. <A HREF="http://www.ronjarzombek.com/twitterpated.wmv">Twitterpated</A>

I kinda wish I hadn't seen those videos before hearing just the audio. I'd like to know what I thought of the 'random' guitar/Thumper speech before knowing that it was supposed to be speech. Like, I like the song now, but would I still like it if I had no idea of what it represented?