Votes: 27 50.9%
  • Who Knows/Who cares?

Votes: 21 39.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stingray11214

OSA Triumvir
Oct 21, 2005
After the success of rockers like Bo Bice and Chris Daughtry, do you think Idol will take the next step by venturing into metal territory?

Peace,
Ray C.

Why would they? Did these 2 have long hair or something? American Idol is a pop show, looking for a pop star. Its what it's centered around and it's all it'll ever be.

Why would they? Did these 2 have long hair or something? American Idol is a pop show, looking for a pop star. Its what it's centered around and it's all it'll ever be.

While I'm inclined to agree, I'd like to point out that winner Carrie Underwood is big on the country charts moreso than the top 40 charts. She is a country star, not a pop star.

Now to how much of contemporary country IS pop, I will not argue.

Moreover, metal cannot be American Idol. The two concepts are idealistically opposed to each other, unless we're talking 80s hair metal. (and still I have my doubts).

I agree with what the others have said. There would actually have to be a new show, with a metal format and judges who work in the metal industry/bands or at least know a lot about/is an expert in metal, for that to work. For the first season of that show, were it last year, they could have used that as a way to find a new singer for Nightwish. Floor Jansen (the best female metal singer EVAR!!!), some producer that has worked with female fronted power metal bands, General Zod (who would of course be the Simon Cowel of the group :lol:), and a concert promoter (hint hint Glenn :p) could be the judges. Pellaz could host the show, since he has interview experience and works in metal internet radio. Then the finalists would be voted on by Tuomas, Marco, Jukka, and Emppu.

My wife and I were watching it about 3 weeks ago, and one of the contestants had a "rocker" voice. Kind of sounded like Nickelback. But the judges were just turned off by it. They are looking for pop, R&b, and maybe contemporary country. Artists like Bo Bice, had a rocker image, but they didn't have a hard rock feel, or sound. I doubt that anything heavier then Aerosmith and the Black Crows will ever come out of American Idol.

If there was metal there, I would never see it. Although I dislike Am Idol less than other reality shows (growing up I had Star Search with Ed McMahon which was the same thing but on a MUCH smaller scale), I still don't watch Idol.

Steve in Philly

I am actually a big fan of the show...and have been for some time. Bo Bice did have long hair, but he was by far a metalhead. They do not like metal on the show and are looking for singers. Rockers can have good voices and that's what they enjoy.

I've really only seen last night's episode for this year. I missed all the auditions, but that usually doesn't matter anyway. What I saw last night was not encouraging and I'm really not sure what they're looking for this year. They certainly have set ways they want the show to move...if they want a girl they will get the girls to be a little better. My guess is the winner will be a girl this year. Just from what I've seen.

A "metal" show like american idol would never work. I love metal music in everyway, but there is not enough of a demand for it. Rockers with good voices can be made into mainstream commercial appeal, but screaming metal in my opinion will probably never really be commercial in the sense that tv and general population would accept.

If you watch American idol hoping that some long haired death metal screamer is going to make it through...you will be sadly let down. If you want to watch singers who love performing and singing...it is a good show to watch in my opinion.

My wife and I were watching it about 3 weeks ago, and one of the contestants had a "rocker" voice. Kind of sounded like Nickelback. But the judges were just turned off by it. They are looking for pop, R&b, and maybe contemporary country. Artists like Bo Bice, had a rocker image, but they didn't have a hard rock feel, or sound. I doubt that anything heavier then Aerosmith and the Black Crows will ever come out of American Idol.
Well, he was "singing" rock songs, but I totally agreed with the judges -- he SUCKED! He was an absolute one-trick pony (and not that good at it). I don't think he would be even accepted by many people here. Their point was showing that he really couldn't sing, but just "tried" to sound like Nickelback. I'm sorry, even the guy from Nickelback blows that guy away.

As far as other rockers, while Bo Bice was not a metal head, he was still a excellent performer and had a nice voice. Too bad his album completely sucked. Chris Daughtry, on the other hand, was definitely more of a metal head, but he could actually sing and had an AWESOME voice. Not too pleased with his disk either, but he's just in the wrong format. BTW, he does not have long hair and has the newer, shaved-head metal look (kinda like Zod :lol:).

Since metal doesn't make enough money (in general), I don't expect it to really invade Idol much more than it has. I don't mind, we have a great community here and some of the most talented performers and singers around. I agree with Clay though, I still enjoy the show for what it is.

As Steve Vai has said. We need pop music, but we also need the other kinds of music.

I've wondered how their reception of somebody would be if a guy got up there and did a great Bruce Dickinson, Dio, or Halford.

I think their reaction would be similar to what they've said to some others. "That style just isn't what we are looking for." But maybe with a great ballad they wouldn't even notice.

They had someone on there singing an original tune that sounded suspiciously like something Nightwish would have written. She even tried to sound like Tarja. The judges thought she was insane.

The year before, they had a black metal singer who actually wasn't bad, but geez. I don't think black metal is ever going to be commercial.

Any metal singer would have to also have a pop side to their voice to have a shot. Someone like Oliver Hartmann, who can knock out power metal and pop rock. Or Michael Kiske. Roy Khan has a very awesome tender side with a lot of subtlety in his voice.

The main problem with most metal singers is that they don't do subtle.:) They just belt out the melodies.

But hey, I'm sure at least some of us can sing. Why don't some of you who actually can do so try out next year?

Hey, how old is Urban Breed, anyway? And does anyone know what the limits are in terms of what qualifies you as an amateur? Would having a label deal with a small label be disqualifying, or do you have to have been signed by a major label?

There are quite a few established metal singers who are under 29. Isn't Tobias Sammet like 27 or 28 now? Not that I think he'd do well with the judges, but it would be a hoot to see Simon's face as Tobias sings "Life and Times of a Bonus Track".

1) Bo Bice did sing a Badlands song for what it's worth.

2) Wouldn't people on this board moan and groan if they DID have a metal person? It'd be the whole sellout/underground/want popularity/hate populartiy all over again.

3) I think any kind of label deal puts you out of the competition.

4) I agree with adaher...Tobias Sammet would crack me up on a show like that!

Well they did have a Queen night. And some call Queen metal.

None of the songs chosen were the more 'metalish' ones from what I recall though.

They had someone on there singing an original tune that sounded suspiciously like something Nightwish would have written. She even tried to sound like Tarja. The judges thought she was insane.

The year before, they had a black metal singer who actually wasn't bad, but geez. I don't think black metal is ever going to be commercial.

Any metal singer would have to also have a pop side to their voice to have a shot. Someone like Oliver Hartmann, who can knock out power metal and pop rock. Or Michael Kiske. Roy Khan has a very awesome tender side with a lot of subtlety in his voice.

The main problem with most metal singers is that they don't do subtle.:) They just belt out the melodies.

But hey, I'm sure at least some of us can sing. Why don't some of you who actually can do so try out next year?

I did a few years ago...I wasn't what they were looking for. Imagine That???

Clay~~Suspyre

No, you've confused me with someone who can actually speak clearly. :lol: :lol:

(But otherwise, I thought a Metal Idol show to pick NW's new singer would have been an amazingly neeet idea.)
:lol: Thanks though. Too bad that I was a year or so late on that idea! Maybe that can be done for the Ayreon album in the works!