Poll: Would an Open Air Festival work in the USA?

Would an Open Air Metal Festival work in the USA?

• Yes.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • No.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I like nuts.

Votes: 12 21.8%

• Total voters
Metallica Open Air Festival 2007

Mainstage

Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Disturbed
Mudvayne
Slipnot
Iced Earth
Nevermore
Testament
Morbid Angel
Obituary
Shadowsfall
Trivium...he he ..BOAT!

All U.S. bands and a sold out stadium tour summer 2007.

Who wants to make the side stage bands?

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
:kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

Back in the day back in TX we had a thing called the Texas Jam which was an all day music fest that played Dallas and Houston. They had it in the Astrodome it was so big. We had bands like Journey, Haggar, Heart, Santana....etc. I don't know why it could not be done again. Although to Zod's point, all the bands were from the U.S.

I say it wouldn't work. I don't think enough people would get off their lazy behinds to travel even just across country to see this. Where are you going to find all the people to come to your fest? You won't get Europeans to come over here during the summer with all the killer fests going on over there. You won't get enough people to travel in North America as so many won't go to a show if it is more than 40 miles from their home.

W.M.D. said:

Mainstage

Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Disturbed
Mudvayne
Slipnot
Iced Earth
Nevermore
Testament
Morbid Angel
Obituary
Shadowsfall
Trivium...he he ..BOAT!

Who wants to make the side stage bands?

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
:kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

Deth and Metallica on the same fest?
Actually.. Deth on a fest called "METALLICA" ? LOL :lol::lol:

I'd love to attend it though!!!! :headbang::headbang::headbang:

FatesFan said:
Back in the day back in TX we had a thing called the Texas Jam which was an all day music fest that played Dallas and Houston. They had it in the Astrodome it was so big. We had bands like Journey, Haggar, Heart, Santana....etc. I don't know why it could not be done again. Although to Zod's point, all the bands were from the U.S.

I remember the Texxas Jam!! (not sure why they had to put the two X's in the name, but it was probably a legal reason... meh)

The last one I saw was when it was called the Monsters of Rock in 1988 at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas:

Van Halen
Scorpions
Metallica
Dokken
Kingdom Come

I may be forgetting a band... this show was notorious for being the one where Sammy's voice gave out and after two songs being sung by Michael Anthony they cut their set and promised to come back and play a free show in Dallas at a later time (which I subsequently couldn't attend when they finally got around to it 3-4 years later.)

ragingsaxmachine said:
We just need that clown who was trying to out-of-pocket fund Evil Darkness and just do a one time festival.

hahaha.... I'll email Chris C. and tell him to get to work on it. I'm sure Contiga Broadcasting has the necessary funds in their petty-cash drawer.

Harvester said:
The only way it would work is to indeed book a band like Iron Maiden and then fill the roster up with a few other 80's metal bands. Only then could you add names from "our" music to fill out the roster such as Dream Theater, Nightwish, Blind Guardian, Dimmu, Lacuna, and a few other crossovers.

The cost alone for a show like that could easily go over 1/2 millon because you are indeed competing with the Euro fests and having to pay the summer costs of travel. Hell, the insurance alone for this thing is something I couldn't afford.

So, shall I buy you some lottery tickets, or do you already have some? :lol: :headbang:

(Boy howdy, if Glenn won the lottery, it would change the face and direction of music in this country forever. :kickass: )

This likely won't happen, as the costs are just too insane for anyone to put together the cash to get it off the ground. I don't think any major sponsors in the US would be interested in putting up cash for something like this, as metal is just not seen as "cool" by major corporations.

If someone wins the lottery, though, then I guess it could happen.

dt

urinalcakemix said:
Reaching People = ticket sales, they cant buy tickets for a show they don't know about, right?

Right, but the promoter has to pay for a large portion of the costs UP FRONT (for insurance, the rental of the venue, the deposits on the bands, etc.), so they have to have cash to set up the show, before they've recieved any money from ticket sales.

Thorn23TX said:
I remember the Texxas Jam!! (not sure why they had to put the two X's in the name, but it was probably a legal reason... meh)

... because 3 X's would have been too obvious. :D

I think it's a wonderful idea/thought.

Problem with America are the roadblocks created from bureaucracy. And yes, the insurance would be untouchable being that we are such a litigation society.

Sumeet said:
... because 3 X's would have been too obvious. :D
ha ha ha, :lol: Good one.

Yea, unfortunately, while we maybe be able to get some kind of big metalfest going, it will never be like the ones in Europe due to our enhanced sue-age. (say it fast.)

Back in the day Cali had Cal Jam 1 and Cal Jam 2.
And Of Course the legendary three day festival called The US festival in 1983 that drew 670,000 people. I believe it's still the largest festival crowd in world history.

New Wave Saturday
Divinyls [11:20 - 11:50 am]
INXS [12:20 - 12:55 pm]
Wall of Voodoo [1:25 -2:40]
Oingo Boingo [2:40 - 3:40]
The English Beat [4:10 - 5:10]
Flock ofSeagulls [5:40 - 6:40]
Stray Cats [7:10 - 8:20]
Men At Work [8:50 -10:00]
The Clash [10:30 - midnight]

Heavy Metal Sunday
Quiet Riot [12:10 - 12:50 pm]
Motley Crue [1:20 - 2:20]
Ozzy Osbourne [2:50 - 4:00]
Judas Priest [4:30 - 5:40]
Triumph [6:10 - 7:20]
Scorpions [7:55 - 9:10]
Van Halen [10:00 - midnight]

Rock Monday
Little Steven & The Disciples of Soul [9:15 - 9:50 am]
Berlin [10:15 -10:50 am]
Quarterflash [11:15 - 11:50 am]
U2 [12:20 - 1:10 pm]
Missing Persons [1:40 - 2:40]
Pretenders [3:10 - 4:10]
Joe Walsh [4:40 - 5:50]
Stevie Nicks [6:20 - 7:30]
David Bowie [8:00 - 10:00 pm]

They even had a Country day the next Saturday.

Even if it did happen, it would be filled with bands that we would all be bitching about :lol:

I mean when Angra played Chicago, there were 30 people (literally).
Edguy and HammerFall last summer played to an only half filled House of Blues.

Yes, "our" brand of metal is gaining popularity, but it is not on the scale yet where a full Open Air setting would be profitable in the states.

Wasn't there some dipshit who made a website saying he is booking a full US arena tour with Kamelot and Leaves Eye's?

Mainstage

Metallica
Slayer
Megadeth
Disturbed
Mudvayne
Slipnot
Iced Earth
Nevermore
Testament
Morbid Angel
Obituary
Shadowsfall
Trivium...he he ..BOAT!

Deth and Metallica on the same fest?
Actually.. Deth on a fest called "METALLICA" ? LOL

Ya, I thought there might be some tension so I made Slayer sit between them..he he

:Smokedev: :Smokedev: :Smokedev: