Praise the Might Keyboards...

Michael TEOF

Master Whorebot
Mar 4, 2002
Schaumburg, IL
www.myspace.com
I've been on a huge Evergrey kick lately... and it suddenly occured to me why Monday Morning Apocalypse was so mediocre -- lack of keyboards. It was always the string sections, piano, and keyboards that gave Evergrey that extra magic and separated them from just another metal band. I really love Tom's voice and the keys. With some exceptions, I really believe that keyboards add the extra dynamic and make this style of music that much more special. Try and imagine Vanden Plas, Savatage, Dream Theater, or Symphony X without keyboards.

This is why I'm so excited to see Evergrey perform with an orchestra... only hopefully we can make out the individual instruments through that wall of banging noise. I'm sorry but the mix at Prog Power IV for Evergrey was so inaudible, I had trouble figuring out what the hell they were playing sometimes.

The Michael

I too hope that Evergrey's performance won't be shallowed out due to extreme amounts of noise, but regarding their new album I find it to be an excellent release. I do, although, agree that the record does lack some serious keyboards in certain parts, but I do not think it is any less than great. Especially "closure", it's a very heartfelt song.

Andromedastrain-

I actually thought about making a thread about revisiting MMA. I was listening to it non-stop yesterday. I think it finally clicked for me and I'm fucking loving it.

Especially "closure", it's a very heartfelt song.

This is actually my least favorite of the album. I think ISoT owns for slow songs :) And even though they're fictional (or are they?), they come across even more heartfelt, hehe.

Oh ya, and about keyboards. Ya, I say the more the better!! :)

Theandromedastrain said:
I too hope that Evergrey's performance won't be shallowed out due to extreme amounts of noise, but regarding their new album I find it to be an excellent release. I do, although, agree that the record does lack some serious keyboards in certain parts, but I do not think it is any less than great. Especially "closure", it's a very heartfelt song.

Andromedastrain-

No, It's seriously less great than any previous Evergrey album, even their admitted previous worst album, Recreation Day.

BenMech said:
even their admitted previous worst album, Recreation Day.

when did evergrey admit that this was their worst album (it rules btw)

I agree, keyboards gave evergrey the eerie and progressive vibes missing from many songs on MMA, its kind of what seperates a lot of radio-formulated rock with good stuff. hail keys

BenMech said:
No, It's seriously less great than any previous Evergrey album, even their admitted previous worst album, Recreation Day.

What an edgy comment! Way to stick it to the man and go against the grain. Your opinions are truly insightful and valuable. Wow Ben, keep 'em coming!

Keyboards and extra instrument layers can make or break a song/album.

A huge reason why I love Vision Divine is the keyboardist's wonderful ability to add such dynamic and intricate layers to the songs, without being invasive, and without being just an afterthought in the songwriting process. I was FURIOUS when he left the band, and I hope his replacement is just as creative and inventive.

Evergrey's the same way. Such a perfect amount of keys to guitars. And it always makes the song larger-than-life.

Michael,

Thats the same thing I said when I first listened to MMA, I got done with the disc and noticed that the keys were low in the mix to the point of them not making the impact that they did on previous releases.

ed